Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confused in FLA Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2013, 08:42 PM
    Why would Morphine show up in my urine test?
    I was just dismissed from my doctor of 2 years. I was given a urine test 2 months and just informed today when I went for my appointment that I am no longer his patient because my test was positive for morphine. This test was given 2 months ago and I've even seen him since and got my usual prescriptions from him for my extreme back pain and arthritis and anxiety disorder. The drugs I take monthly are Percocet, Soma, Tramadol, Xanax and my High Blood pressure medicine which is Lisinopril. I had never taken Morphine before the urine test 2 months ago but last month he wrote me a prescription for MS Contin because the Percocets were wearing off too fast and I guess after 2 years he said I had probably developed a tolerance so the MS Contin would help and it did. Now I have no doctor and No medication and I'm terrified that I'm going to either die or have a stroke going without my medication so suddenly. So my question is how could Morphine have showed up in my Urine when I had never taken it before and is it even legal for him to just cut me off wihout any warning. His staff is the one that gave me this information and said I couldn't talk to him at all since I'm not his patient anymore and told me to just "leave NOW". I don't have insurance so I can't go to another doctor, this doctor was letting me self pay. Help please cause I'm terrified and need to know about the morphine in my system and the legality of all this.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 3, 2013, 08:46 PM
    Your test was positive for exactly Morphine? Or was it positive for Opiates?

Sep 3, 2013, 09:03 PM
    The nurse wouldn't show me the lab results or even give me a copy of it. All she said it was positive for Morphine. Is there any possible way that is was the Soma or the other drugs could have made the test positive or maybe a combination of all of them? I'm scared to death of what's going to happen just stopping all these tomorrow. I'm so confused as to why this could have happened...

Sep 3, 2013, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Your test was positive for exactly Morphine? Or was it positive for Opiates?
    The nurse wouldn't show me the test results she just said it showed positive for morphine. Would the soma or a combination of all of my medications make morphine show up positive... I'm really scared I'm going to die or have a stroke because I have been on my meds for over 2 years now and tomorrow I am out of a doctor and out of meds. Is this is even legal for him to just drop me with no warning and leave me to suffer and possibly die?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 3, 2013, 09:37 PM
    Drugs.com says, "Do not stop using Soma suddenly without first talking to your doctor. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely."

You don't want to stop Xanax suddenly without being weaned off it.

You are anonymous here. Is there any chance you did take morphine?

Sep 3, 2013, 09:53 PM
    There is absolutley no way I used Morphine, Ive always only taken what my doctor has prescribed me. So either the lab made a mistake, someone slipped it in my food or drink or they mixed my specimen with someone else's. My doctor dismissed me and the front desk told me to leave and handed me a letter saying I'm no longer a patient there because I failed a drug test. They will not let me talk to him at all. I'm out of my medicines tomorrow and I've been on all these for 2 years... I don't know what to do.. if I go back they will just tell me to leave and they say he doesn't do phone calls. What are my options here and how could this have happened. I thought there was some kind of patient abandonment law or something.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 3, 2013, 09:59 PM
    J_9 is our site RN and may have something to suggest. I was thinking that you go to an ER and see what they can do for you, but she may have something better to suggest.
    Expert

Sep 3, 2013, 10:05 PM
    There are no patient abandonment laws. Doctors "fire" patients all of the time for many reasons.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 3, 2013, 10:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    There are no patient abandonment laws. Doctors "fire" patients all of the time for many reasons.
    Is there anything confused can do about getting the needed prescriptions?
    Expert

Sep 3, 2013, 10:21 PM
    Sadly she will need to find another doctor. The ER is no place to go just to get for this type of situation. This would set her up to be medication seeking and could place her on a list of watchful doctors, ERs and pharmacies.

I would suggest she contact her pharmacist to get more indepth answers to these questions. They may even know of a doctor they could refer her to.

Sep 6, 2013, 10:06 PM
    The problem is I don't have insurance and this doctor always allowed me to self pay. I don't want to go to one of those pain clinics that you pay like $300.00 a month to just get a handful of prescriptions. I want a real family doctor but one that will allow me to self pay but still give me the medications I've been on for 2 years now. I really don't think I can stand this pain and all of the withdrawal stuff that I'm already starting to go through. I'm starting a new job on the 16th and don't know how I'm going to handle it that is if I'm still alive by then. Thanks for all of the advise I just wish someone knew of a doctor in my area that would let me self pay but give me my medications. Going to just try and go to sleep (like that's going to happen) I just wish I could just sleep for the next two weeks and wake up not in pain. It really feels like life just isn't worth living like this because I don't see any light at the end of this really dark tunnel... sorry, just venting here. What's really bothering me is the fact that I know that urine test was wrong because I never would have took morphine, I wouldn't even know where to get it and even if I did I didn't need it because I had my own medications and its killing me that my reputation with this doctor is ruined over a mistake. Sigh...
    Expert

Sep 6, 2013, 10:12 PM
    This is a global website. The chances of finding a doctor in your area would be like finding a needle in a haystack.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 6, 2013, 10:12 PM
    I'm really sorry that you're going through this.

I'm not in the US, so my advice may be useless since the medical system in Canada is very different than yours.

I'm on medication as well, have been for many years. There have been a few times that my prescription ran out before I could get in to see my doctor. On those occasions I went to the pharmacy and they gave me a week or two worth of my prescription to buy me time to get in to see my doctor.

I know it's not a long term fix, but if they're willing to do that it would at least give you some time to find a new doctor.

Do you have walk in clinics where you live? Since this is a prescription you've been on for a long time, you may be able to get a new prescription at a walk in clinic. Not sure about that either, as I said, the system in Canada is very different.

I wish you luck.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 7, 2013, 03:14 AM
    DRUG SCREENS........Substances that may cause a false positive

Your doctor is unaware that it is fairly common for this to happen. Simple OTC drugs can give false positives for morphine. I would write him a letter and refer him to the list above. Google 'false positive morphine' for other sites that might be better to refer him to, other than one for the methadone community. Note drugs like Alka Seltzer Plus are on the list! I am not saying that this list is accurate, but there are MANY such sites saying that it does happen. Try to find the one that would impress a mainstream doctor the most.

Drop it off in person and just keep insisting that you are telling the truth, have nowhere else to go and that he is being naïve. Try to stay calm but insistent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How soon will opiates show up on a urine test [ 0 Answers ]

How SOON after taking 2 vicadin 7.5, will it show up on a urine test?

How quickly will hydrocodone show up in a urine test? [ 0 Answers ]

How quickly will hydrocodone show up in a urine test?

How long does suboxene and morphine show up in urine tests? [ 1 Answers ]

Drug testing (urine) at docs office

Will alcohol show up on a urine test? [ 1 Answers ]

I drank a four loko last night (12% alc. 24 oz. can) will I pass a urine test tomorrow @ 4p.m.

What would make morphine show up on a drug test? [ 1 Answers ]

I was just given a drug test at my Dr. office. It showed positve for a low level of Morphine (78 ml). To my knowledge, I have never taken this drug. Does anyone know what would cause this? I have not taken any codeine lately either

View more questions Search