Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pjmaruk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2013, 12:56 PM
    Installing new service entrance mast, service bypass meter & disconnect
    Q. - Is the 2" rigid pipe (mast riser) with a threaded male pipe end attached to a bypass meter socket in a 2" meter socket hub (female pipe thread) a weather tight connection?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2013, 04:15 AM
    I would say yes... what is the rest of this story? Has someone claimed that it is not? If so, why not?
    pjmaruk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2013, 04:51 AM
    I also say yes, the socket hub connection is labeled as "3R" - but and inspector is insisting it needs a weather tight 2" nipple with a rubber grommet and nut - which would mean the male nipple end is attached the socket hub - the same scenario as before, plus now you have an additional joint. I think some inspectors do not want to admit when they are wrong about their conclusions (code enforcement).
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2013, 05:19 AM
    You need to show the inspector the installation instructions for the hub and meter socket, both of which should identify acceptability for exterior installation. If it is labeled "3R", you win...
    NEC 110.3(B) Listing and Labeling... this code section is your best friend or worst enemy...
    If you can't show the inspector that what your doing and the equipment your using is "listed and labeled", you will always lose the argument.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 6, 2013, 11:26 AM
    Any and all threaded rigid conduit connections are weathertight.
    The inspector is an idiot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service entrance cable size for 100 amp and 200 amp service. [ 16 Answers ]

I would like to know what size aluminum sec I would need for 100 or 200 amp service

Upgrading to a 200 amp service entrance and disconnect [ 0 Answers ]

I currently have a 150 amp service and I am adding a new attached garage. I plan to install a new 200 amp exterior breaker/disconnect with meter. My existing 150 amp panel is some 30 ft from the meter and is fed by a 2/0 AL cable. I plan to install a 50 or 60 amp sub panel in the new garage...

What is the cable/wire gauge (product name) for installing 200 Amp Service Entrance [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new service entrance to upgrade my home electrical service to 200 amps. 1 Please tell me what gage wire is required from the meter to the weather-head? The service panel with main breaker is inside the laundry room 25 feet from the outdoor meter loop. I will run the...

View more questions Search