Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jalajala Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 08:23 AM
    Neighbor's Offensive Dog Poop
    My neighbor walks his dogs SOLELY in his backyard. This causes a seriously offensive odor. By mid-summer, the smell is so bad that we can't sit out there for any length of time without being nauseous.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2007, 09:42 AM
    This really is a people problem, not a dog problem. Perhaps it should have been posted in the family and people area or law. I am not sure there is much you can do except ask him to clean it up. Does he just blast through it when he mows? I don't clean up after my dogs as well as I should, but if not the rest of the week, before I mow. I hate the mower tracking dog droppings into the garage. If he actually has them on leash, you could ask him to stay further away from the property line.

In some cases, people seem to feel free to make bad smells and noise. It seems the worse peoples taste in music, the louder they like it. I can't enjoy my yard work much of time because of the people up wind of me burning their trash. I am out in the county, and it is legal. It is hard to stop people doing things the way it has always been done.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 09:52 AM
    We actually have the same problem with our neighbors but they really are filthy dirty people to the extreme last summer I ended up calling the health and hygiene part of our council because it was really vile I'm not even sure how there dog moves out there its grass is higher than 5ft shudder oh so revolting so I can totally sympathize with you.
    I was told its not the fact that the dog uses the toilet as a poop hole it's the fact the owner refuses to clean it up and it can in some extreme cases not only make the animal ill but the humans around it too try asking the guy nicely to clean up the poop before it gets to hot if it doesn't work then your going to have to call the people in control of hygiene welfare.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Jala, you pose an interesting problem. I am assuming you are from the states, if you are in another country, please let us know.

Have you spoken with your neighbor about the situation? Maybe he doesn't realize it is a problem. That would be the easiest way to resolve the issue. If the man is responsible enough not to let his dog run around the neighborhood doing it's business in other people's yards, he might be a reasonable fellow. Start with the easiest and less complicated approach first.

Legally, unless you can prove that the dog's excrement is somehow contaminating your soil or water system, it limits your options. Most municipalities have laws that state something to the effect of, we are entitled to quiet enjoyment of our properties. Since it is not a noise issue, and is an odor issue, it creates a dilemma, as far as filing a complaint with the police department. curlybenswife has the right idea. I do not know what state you live in so I cannot give you a link. Find the web site or phone number to your state's Health Department. Discuss the situation with them. They very well may be able to impose a health violation if the odor is that strong. If they don't feel it is anything that can be considered a health violation, your neighbor won't do anything about it, and you cannot prove that it is contaminating your soil, well, there really isn't much else you can do about it except contact a lawyer and find out if he/she has any other ideas to resolve this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 10:43 AM
    And of course some cities have codes on the total amount of dogs that one owner can have, if it is this "offensive" they may have more dogs than some code limits.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Good point Fr Chuck. The way jala is describing it, it seems like one dog. For the odor to be that foul, you would think there would be more. Maybe he does have more and jala isn't aware of it? :confused: If that is the case, than jala needs to do some legwork and see how many dogs and what the limits are, as you point out.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 4, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Spray bleach onto his yard, that's disgusting, we have a dog poop removal service here in my city, it's quite cheap, around 40 bucks a month and they come in once a week and remove all poop in your yard, they take it and turn it into plant fertilizer. I would find out if you have such a business in your area and I would call them for your neighbor and tell them to just direct bill to him.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 4, 2007, 11:05 AM
    When you go to the neighbor to address the problem, have several solutions to suggest, too. See if there are services that will come and do it for him and get some brochures... we have a pet valet that makes a killing doing this for individuals and apartment complexes, etc. Could be a good job to start!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Where I live, in Rock Island, IL there is a city ordinance for this. If you can smell your neighbors dog stuff in your yard, then it is against the ordinance. You might have an ordinance like this where you live.

My neighbor next door had one, large dog. I was in the same situation that you are.

I would address the problem with the your neighbor first, before causing a problem with him and the authorities. Doesn't matter if you are on good or bad terms with him. Just put the problem in his lap, so to speak, without being aggressive or intimidating.

You could start by saying something like "Hi, (name). I'm wondering if you could help me solve a problem that I am having. I would appreciate your help. There is this odor of dog poop that I am smelling. Maybe you have noticed it too? Would you help me with this? Do you have any solutions?" If he doesn't then say "Maybe this is something we could work on together." And, then suggest solutions like mrscoltweaver suggests above.

It is winning without intimidation.

I really liked mrscoltweaver's answer above.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessyfay
    spray bleach onto his yard, that's disgusting, we have a dog poop removal service here in my city, it's quite cheap, around 40 bucks a month and they come in once a week and remove all poop in your yard, they take it and turn it into plant fertilizer. I would find out if you have such a buisness in your area and I would call them for your neighbor and tell them to just direct bill to him.
    That would be a sure way to get yourself into a hell of a lot of trouble here that's for sure surely bleech would be harmfull to the animal and as for telling a clean up company to bill him yikes if I did that kind of thing id get a brick through my window for sure.

When it comes down to it if the guy doesn't listen to reason then yes it needs further action but I'm sure even in extreame circumstances like I have had personally there are ways to find there weaker spot without causing ww3.

My neighbours are extreame there dog is kept in the back bedroom if its not outside and it just does its business there and I know they don't even clean that up there vile to the extreame and don't deserve the pet what so ever its been reported but nothing has been done as these people can't read so any letters just get shoved to one side.
    My next step is my landlord he happens to be part of hampshire animal rescue and deals with the rspca on a daily basis what I'm saying where there's a will there's a way without causing ruptions that will cost you dearly.

Apr 4, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Thanks Clough. My family was just talking about this topic last night at dinner-why can't people just civilly talk to one another, have different opinions yet still be respectful and have a positive outcome? Ah, what a different world it would be... I'm trying to live that way, one post at a time!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Perhaps another suggestion for your neighbor is to try a different dog food. Brands like Science Diet and Iams have less filler, therefore make less poo and from my experience not as smelly. The vet says it is because the better brands are more digestible and the result is making less waste.

I feel for you. There is nothing worse that trying to enjoy an outdoor meal when a waft of dog squeeze carries over from next door.

Apr 4, 2007, 12:54 PM
    I love all the new phrases I'm learning here! DOG SQUEEZE-fabulous. At the vet I worked at, if it happened in clinic, we called a CODE BROWN...
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrscoltweaver
    Thanks Clough. My family was just talking about this topic last night at dinner-why can't people just civilly talk to one another, have different opinions yet still be respectful and have a positive outcome? Ah, what a different world it would be....I'm trying to live that way, one post at a time!
    I agree with you. We are all people and need to get along with each other in spite of our differences, especially neighbors who live next to each other. It is a challenge that we all face.

Here is a clever saying of my choice: "Birds of a feather flock together."
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrscoltweaver
    I love all the new phrases I'm learning here! DOG SQUEEZE-fabulous. At the vet I worked at, if it happened in clinic, we called a CODE BROWN...
    "CODE BROWN." I love it! How about for human babies, "CODE YELLOW?"

Apr 4, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Appropriate but not NEARLY as offensive to clients!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 10:03 PM
    I would call the local health department. In my area they respond to all issue's regarding filthy living conditions.. They will drop by unannounced, to make sure that it is a legit complaint. I would not approach the neighbor, he smells it and doesn't care or he would have already cleaned the poo up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog eats poop [ 4 Answers ]

My puppie eats her own poop how do I stop it

Dog/puppy eating poop [ 2 Answers ]

This has only just started. My dog is now 11 months old and has just decided to start eating poop, not his own I might add. As we are out walking and some takes his fancy, he will eat it. I have told him off to no avail, growling and saying bad dog etc, but this doesn't appear to work. I am...

Dog walks in his own poop? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We have a 5 month old Boston Terrier. We leave him in the kitchen while we are at work, which is a pretty big area for the little guy. However, when we come home in the evening he has resorted to shredding his potty pad, walking in his own poop, and peeing in his bed. We are baffled. We know...

Dog will not pee or poop outside [ 1 Answers ]

I just adopted a 2 year old greyhound terrier mix from the kennel four weeks ago. The kennel said that he was an inside dog. The problem is getting him to go to potty outside. He seems to be shy about peeing and pooping. I have taking him for a two hour walk through the park and around the block...

Dog Poop on Lawns/Shrubbery Beds [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a residential community where people just simply refuse to pick up after their dogs. So my lawn, from time to time, has some dog poop on it. Is there some product that will repel the dogs so they stay away from my lawn + shrubs - yet, won't harm them or the lawn/shrubs + not need to...

View more questions Search