Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bonnielynn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2013, 03:08 PM
    Divorce from husband with dementia
    I want to know if I can divorce my husband who lives in a nursing home with dementia. I live in Ohio. I just want to move on with my life. He cheated on my 3 years ago and I've never gotten over it. We are 68 and 70 yrs. Old respectively.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 3, 2013, 03:27 PM
    Yes you can divorce him but the courts may appoint an advocate for him. He may not understand the process of what he will be going through and the advocate can help with that while protecting his interests. Talk to a family law attorney in your area.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2013, 06:54 PM
    Is his nursing home cost being paid by Medicaid? If so, they may have some control over his assets, if that matters to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 4, 2013, 01:48 AM
    Yes you can divorce him, depending on location you may have to even pay some alimony or other cost for his medical care. As part of divorce. Depends on how many years married, incomes and more. Yes the courts willl appoint someone to represent him. Also if there is property in both names, the nursing faclility may have an interest

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want divorce and wife's in nursing home w/ dementia. Have been with a woman for 5 yea [ 2 Answers ]

My wife has been in a nursing home for the past 5 years with dementia. Before illness we were living together but separately. I have a life with someone and she had her personal life. Now I want to divorce and our daughter has POA so what would be my next step. She has been under Medicaid so this...

My husband filed for divorce after I left him but won't sign to finalize divorce [ 3 Answers ]

I left my husband after taking physical, emotional, verbal, and mental abuse from him almost 3 years ago now. He filed for divorce over 2 years ago but refuses to sign the final divorce papers so I could get him out of my life once and for all and not be connected in any way to each other. What is...

My husband wants to divorce me but I believe he has early dementia? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has filed for divorce and I believe he has early signs of dementia. Can I get a court order to have him tested and do I have to sign any papers? I don't want to get a divorce at all. I love him dearly.

Can you get a divorce from your husband if he has dementia and is in a nursing home. [ 2 Answers ]

Can you get a divorce from a spouse who has dementia and is in a nursing home. He cannot sign his name or understand many things. I want the divorce because of Medicaid issues. I want to keep his qualified for medicaid. We are both on Social Security and they apply both amounts. If he was...

How I can stop the divorce if my husband ask her divorce in tunisia and I live in you.k [ 1 Answers ]

I'm tunisian women I get married with a man who have both nationalite tunisian and british we live together in u.k I left my house because violence domestic and I live in refuge the silicitor put my report to home office for have leaving remain in u.k in this time my husband go in tunisia and...

View more questions Search