Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrbunn1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2013, 08:36 PM
    EtG urine testing MS/GC testing
    I hear that MS/GC urine testing can detect EtG up to 80 hours from consumption. I run 5 miles 3-4 times a week, and consider myself healthier than most. I have a slender, athletic build, and believe my metabolism is quicker than most. If I consume 3 beers within a time of 90-120 minutes, how long will the detection period be. I believe it will test positive for any trace of the EtG.

I have read other posts on this site similar, so hopefully DrBill100 will have an answer like he always does.

Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 28, 2013, 08:42 PM
    DrBill no longer is on this site or on any other.

Are you looking for help to pass a test? We don't do that here.
    zelmakeck Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2013, 07:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    DrBill no longer is on this site or on any other.

Are you looking for help to pass a test? We don't do that here.
    Well if you don't do it here, where on your site do you answer?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 3, 2013, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmakeck View Post
    Well if you don't do it here, where on your site do you answer?
    It's a violation of the Terms of Service of this site to aid in helping people pass drug or alcohol tests or helping them fake court-ordered ones.
    zelmakeck Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2013, 08:13 PM
    It's a violation of the Terms of Service of this site to aid in helping people pass drug or alcohol tests or helping them fake court-ordered ones.
    She's not asking you to do that. She has question about how long detection is. Read it again
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 3, 2013, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmakeck View Post
    She's not asking you to do that. She has question about how long detection is. Read it again
    And if we give the answer to that, we are, in effect, telling how to get away with drinking if one is on probation.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 3, 2013, 08:17 PM
    Actually she is asking IF she consumes, how long will it take to pass. Not that she DID consume.

So, yes, in essence the OP is asking how to beat a test.
    KD3 Posts: 14, Reputation: 5

Sep 6, 2013, 10:49 AM
    It depends. It's not a precise science, so why try to game the system and take a chance with failing? If alcohol consumption is that important to you, you probably have a problem with it.

The urine EtG (Ethyl Glucuronide) test is sometimes called the "80-hour" test since that is the approximate time-frame it is most valid. But each individual situation varies based on the individual person. What did you drink? (% of alcohol per drink) How much did you drink? And then the wild card -- how fast will your body metabolize that alcohol -- since it can vary widely. If you take a person who has been drinking daily and then has a heavy 'bender', his body may take longer to process that alcohol than someone who was abstinent for weeks prior to drinking the same amount. The heavy drinker has already compromised his liver's ability to detoxify the body. Metabolism also varies based on age, gender and many other factors. Yes, exercise does speed the metabolism somewhat -- but how much? Do you really know? Do you feel lucky today? Is it worth the consequences of failing the test? In some tests, the EtG has been found to detect alcohol up to 120 hours (5 days) after consumption. On the other hand, if a person only had a small incidental consumption of alcohol (1 or 2 3.2% alcohol beers), the EtG MIGHT not detect it at even 48 to 72 hours. But it just depends. Why would you want to risk it unless you have a problem stopping? Doesn't that take the enjoyment out of it afterward if you worry for days or weeks if you will be tested or if you passed a test?

If you are like I was, and drank alcohol despite facing consequences from a monitoring authority that prohibited you from consuming alcohol, that is a RED FLAG that you have a problem with alcohol that you need to address. After I failed such a test, I sought additional treatment and counseling to get my recovery program back on track. I urge you to take an honest look at this and take some action regardless of the outcome of the test. This could have been your "warning shot across the bow". The next time, the next consequence, could be very very different.

Best wishes in your test and your sobriety.

---------

For Wondergirl and J9:

I don't consider this an answer for "HOW TO" pass the test. As a matter of fact, the information I quoted is widely available online through many other sources but casts a HUGE GRAY AREA over the exact window of detection. My points that (1) we never really know if we will pass such a test and (2) attempting to do so indicates a serious problem -- may help the person more than simply refusing to answer at all. Refusing to answer will not stop that person from trying to drink despite the potential consequences or from easily finding information other places on the web by a simple search. But more importantly, it misses the opportunity for "Ask Me Help Desk" to cast a truly realistic degree of doubt into their mind and to make them question what they are doing.

Also, many people assume that anyone asking about testing has a LEGAL monitoring authority. That may be the case, but there are many other types of situations where people may be monitored for abstinence. For example, many state and federal licensing authorities monitor people with professional licenses like doctors, dentists, nurses, lawyers, air traffic controllers, pilots, etc -- after they have had some diagnosis or treatment for a substance abuse problem.

Someone who thinks they can skirt the edges of testing without eventually getting caught is headed for a failed test -- if not sooner, then later. The longer we beat the system, the more we feel invincible. I know this from a personal standpoint: The mind of the addict / alcoholic will seek out two more drinks, cut the window by five more hours, etc until he goes over the threshold. And he won't even see that he is doing it, that he is on collision course with disaster.

On this website, we can:

1) Encourage them to reconsider their behavior and whether they have a problem they need to address

2) Cast doubt into their minds about the ability to "game" a drug or alcohol test

3) Because it is an inexact science, give them just enough information so that if they are trying to beat the test because they cannot stop, they will eventually get caught. And isn't that the point? Wouldn't you rather have them get the help they need with their addiction rather than just look elsewhere for answers?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 6, 2013, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KD3 View Post
    IFor Wondergirl and J9:

I don't consider this an answer for "HOW TO" pass the test. As a matter of fact, the information I quoted is widely available online through many other sources but casts a HUGE GRAY AREA over the exact window of detection. My points that (1) we never really know if we will pass such a test and (2) attempting to do so indicates a serious problem -- may help the person more than simply refusing to answer at all. Refusing to answer will not stop that person from trying to drink despite the potential consequences or from easily finding information other places on the web by a simple search. But more importantly, it misses the opportunity for "Ask Me Help Desk" to cast a truly realistic degree of doubt into their mind and to make them question what they are doing.

Also, many people assume that anyone asking about testing has a LEGAL monitoring authority. That may be the case, but there are many other types of situations where people may be monitored for abstinence. For example, many state and federal licensing authorities monitor people with professional licenses like doctors, dentists, nurses, lawyers, air traffic controllers, pilots, etc -- after they have had some diagnosis or treatment for a substance abuse problem.

Someone who thinks they can skirt the edges of testing without eventually getting caught is headed for a failed test -- if not sooner, then later. The longer we beat the system, the more we feel invincible. I know this from a personal standpoint: The mind of the addict / alcoholic will seek out two more drinks, cut the window by five more hours, etc until he goes over the threshold. And he won't even see that he is doing it, that he is on collision course with disaster.

On this website, we can:

1) Encourage them to reconsider their behavior and whether they have a problem they need to address

2) Cast doubt into their minds about the ability to "game" a drug or alcohol test

3) Because it is an inexact science, give them just enough information so that if they are trying to beat the test because they cannot stop, they will eventually get caught. And isn't that the point? Wouldn't you rather have them get the help they need with their addiction rather than just look elsewhere for answers?
    We've done all of the above. The ones to be tested, especially those on probation, don't care about any of that and generously dole out reddies (unhelpfuls). They just want to know if they will beat the test. They don't want lectures or hugs or warnings. That's why we now say what we do.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Sep 6, 2013, 11:31 AM
    We've done all of the above. The ones to be tested, especially those on probation, don't care about any of that and generously dole out reddies (unhelpfuls). They just want to know if they will beat the test. They don't want lectures or hugs or warnings. That's why we now say what we do.
    Exactly. It's nice to think that you can offer help to them but the majority that ask these questions don't want, and don't believe that they need help. All they want to know is will they pass.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

EtG urine testing [ 0 Answers ]

If a person was a alcohlic for 20 years and quit quit drinking, how long would it be before they would pass a ETG urine test? Ty Ken

Alcohol testing EtG testing [ 4 Answers ]

I had a etg/alcohol test 10 days ago and had wine the evening prior? I have not heard back from the lab. Has anyone failed or passed with having alcohol in their system? Thank you. Really stressed and very stupid!!

Urine testing [ 1 Answers ]

If a urine test is failed while trying to get a new job can they tell your previous jobs? {moved from Forum Help-<>}

View more questions Search