Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    midgellpe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2013, 01:13 PM
    Per the original diagram answering this question, I plan to wire two light switches, each controlling 1 light, from the one original power supply.

In my case, the original power supply is also switched.

I would like to install a dimmer switch on the original power supply.

The 2 lights at the end of the line are each 5 light chandeliers. There could be 5 - 25 watt halogen lights to be dimmed (if the one chandelier is switched to OFF), or 10-25 watt halogen lights to be dimmed (if both chandeliers are switched to ON).

Is there any problem with installing a dimmer switch in lieu of a standard toggle switch controlling the original power supply?
    Thanks.
    John on PEI
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 27, 2013, 04:12 PM
    No problem with the wattage. Are halogen lights dimable? Don't remember ever trying.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2013, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    No problem with the wattage. Are halogen lights dimable? Don't remember ever trying.
    Halogens are dimmable with a regular dimmer only if they are 120 volt. With low voltage Halogens you use a touch pad dimmer that works off the transformer .
    Antho1965 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2013, 11:48 AM
    Ok I have the same problem BUT I want the switches to control lights in different rooms... how do I do this?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 18, 2013, 01:19 PM
    Same problem as what?
    Bpjap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2016, 07:38 PM
    What do I do if the switches are in 2 separate boxes?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2016, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bpjap View Post
    What do I do if the switches are in 2 separate boxes?
    Please post a new question with details. Piggybacking on a 2 years post won't get much attention.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire 6 recessed lights to 1 dimmer switch with 12-3 power and 12-2 to lights [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire 6 recessed lights to 1 dimmer switch with 12-3 power wire source and 12-2 to between the 6 lights and then using 12-2 witing to the single pole switch?--need your help please

How to wire 2 switches on one power line [ 3 Answers ]

I have one 12/2 wire coming into a box. It is on a 20 amp circuit. I have 4 recessed lights that I want to run off one dimmer switch and another light I want to run off another dimmer switch all in the same box. Can I attach 2 blacks to the first switch and then with the extra black, run that to...

3way switches and a ceiling fan wire diagram [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a light fixture ( for my wife) that has 3 way switches, with a ceiling fan ( with a light). The way the light fixture is wired is both black leads from the switches are wire nutted together and the 2 white wires are wired to the fixture. Do I just wire the ceiling fan in...

How to wire/combine 4 single switches in one box for 4 lights [ 13 Answers ]

I want to wire 4 fluorescent lights separately on single switches but want to put the switches in one blue box. Other words, I want to be able to turn on one light at a time, or turn on 3 different lights at a time. How do I run the wires in the switch box? Do I pigtail all of the switches? The...

Getting power to lights and switches, but they won't come on [ 6 Answers ]

Lost power the other day and flipped the breakers to get them back on. Worked but I lost power in the laundry room shortly after. I replaced the breaker and bought a volt reader and I'm getting power to every breaker. I checked every outlet and even the ones that won't work are getting power to...

View more questions Search