Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    summersky Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates
    Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II:

1) When filling out form 1116, should I list that the credit is claimed for taxes paid or taxes accrued?

2) What should I fill in for the date (line A , column o)? All the taxes paid on the interest earned in 2006 are definitely paid by the end of 2006, though they are multiple small amounts throughout the year.

3) Since I don't have access to all of the exact dates when taxes were withheld / paid, can I use the average exchange rate for 2006 as provided by the Federal Reserve Board? Form 1116 only allows the use of the average exchange rate for taxes accrued (not taxes paid), but I don't have all the dates available.

Thanks in advance for answers to this!
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Apr 3, 2007, 01:38 PM
    You can use "Various" as date paid
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2007, 11:57 AM
    1) If you have PAID the taxes in a tax return, use TAXES PAID. Otherwise, TAXES ACCRUED>

2) Like Mobea said, use "various".

3) Average exchange rate is fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help me compute US tax liaibility after foreign tax credit [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: A us company Frank expand with a new co (Ana) formation into a foreign host company with a 20% tax on corporate income within its borders. At the end of its fourth yr of operations the foreign corp Ana distributes $100,000 to Frank from its earning and progits previously taxes by the host...

Foreign Tax credit [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Have a question on my eligibility to claim foreign tax credit - My situation is given below - Am a Indian National came to the USA (first time) on Sep20/2006 -Visa -H1B; filing status - Single I receive part of the Salary income in India for the period of stay in the US; this income is...

Foreign Tax Deductions Against MD State Tax Liability [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in London for 8 months out of the year. I worked in Maryland the other 4 months. I know how to use foreign tax credits on my federal and social security liabilities. Is there any way to use foreign tax credits against my Maryland State and Local Tax liability? These taxes are for...

Tax liaibility after foreign tax credit [ 3 Answers ]

Help me compute US tax liaibility after foreign tax credit

Foreign Tax Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a GC holder and I lived in 2005 in the US but I got a small amount of wages and interest from a foreign country. I paid taxes on the foreign interest. It seems to be very difficult to fill out necessary forms. I don't know if I need to file the form 1116 to claim the foreign tax...

View more questions Search