Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ack33 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2013, 02:33 PM
    Wages Expense
    My business hires independent contractors who are paid monthly for their earnings in the previous month (i.e. earnings from August 1-15 will be paid out on September 1st). However, I deduct a $5 fee from their wages for payroll processing.

So how would I journalize this $5 deduction? Would it be considered revenue or something else?

Example: Employees get 70% commission of sales. Employee B sells $100 and is to be paid $70 next pay period. In the next pay period I have to deduct the $5 payroll fee from Employee B's earnings.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 05:35 PM
    Is this in their contract, a "payroll fee" I would worry on the legality of this.

Aug 1, 2013, 09:09 PM
    Yes. If I have to do a bank wire to an non-US contractor, I let him / her know that they are responsible for the fee related
    Fidget1 Posts: 105, Reputation: 4

Aug 7, 2013, 12:43 PM
    You're not making sense.

At first, you're charging a $5 payroll processing fee as a deduction from salary. So that suggests recovering an admin overhead.

Then you say it's if you have to wire money then you charge this fee. So that suggests recovering a fee outside of normal payroll processing costs.

I can help you do the journal, but I need to know which of the situations it is that apply first.

Aug 17, 2013, 09:32 PM
    All the 1099 independent contractors I hire are paid by having money wired to them through ACH. So the $5 payroll processing fee is a deduction from salary because they are being wired the money.
    Fidget1 Posts: 105, Reputation: 4

Aug 21, 2013, 11:13 AM
    So this is an expense over and above normal admin cost of payroll processing. This means that it is not part of your ordinary activities, so you can't class it as revenue or take it through the profit and loss.

So take it straight to the balance sheet.

Using your original example, you need to:

In current period:

Dr wages account (P&L) $70 (you have to show the full amount due to the contractor)
    Cr Bank charges (balance sheet - current liabilities) $5
    Cr Payroll Control (balance sheet - current liabilities) $65

In the next period when the payment is made:

Dr Bank Charges (balance sheet - current liabilities) $5
    Dr Payroll Control (balance sheet - current liabilities) $65
    Cr Bank $5 to pay the wiring fee
    Cr Bank $65 net pay to the contractor

The overall effect is that in the first period, the full $70 pay due is recorded in the P&L in the period it relates to, and a current liability is created in the balance sheet for the amount due for the fee and net pay to the contractor.

Then in the second period, $70 is paid out of the bank, $65 to the contractor, and $5 to the bank charges liability, and the liability in payroll control and bank charge accounts are cleared off, returning them to zero.

If you think it should be part of normal payroll processing costs then the treatment is slightly different, but I can show you how to journal that too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wages expense [ 1 Answers ]

Wages expense

Wages expense [ 2 Answers ]

The month's total wages paid June amounted to $7,390. The employees worked twenty-one days but were paid for only twenty days because for the day worked is the next pay period. How do I come up with the correct amount? Which is 369.50

Wages expense vs accrued wages expense or prepaid expense [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have this question which I'm stuck on Staff works a 14 day fortnight and are paid on the 15th day 15-Jun Staff Wages $1279 29-Jun Staff Wages $1279 So I drew up a timeline and figured out that staff will be paid on the 30th of jun, not 29th. Therefore, in this case, it means...

Wages Expense [ 1 Answers ]

Is the answer to the following question $8,000? Because there are 2 days left in the month that have not been paid. The question is: A company operates 5 days per week with a daily payroll of $4,000. The employees are paid every Saturday for the workweek(Mon-Fri). The last day of the month...

Wages Expense [ 1 Answers ]

Company x operates five days per week with a daily payroll of $4,000. Employees are paid every Saturday for the workweek just completed (Monday through Friday). The last day of the month is Wednesday, March 31. What is the amount of Wages Expense recorded on the next payday, Saturday, April 3? I...

View more questions Search