Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dogtales Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2012, 07:24 AM
    How do I handle insurance when home is left "vacant"?
    I own a house in Nebraska but will be moving to California to work for at least a year. What happens to my house insurance when the house is left empty with my belongings in it and someone periodically checking on it? I will have to become a California resident to work there. If something happens will my claim be denied because it is considered vacant? How would they know it was vacant? The insurance is being paid electronically. I want to keep the home so I can eventually return to it.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2012, 08:22 AM
    You have to notify your insurer that the house is vacant. I didn't have to notify them specifically about that because it came up in the conversation when I was setting up the insurance with the same company, for the house I was moving into.
    Mine reluctantly worked with me for about 4 months and luckily I finally sold the vacant property, but I had been with them for a long time (about 30 years).
    I tried to prepare for what I would do if they got to the point where they would not insure it anymore, and I found companies who would insure vacant properties for a high fee. I can't swear to what the numbers were since it has been 6 years ago now, but I believe it was well in excess of $ 1,000 PER MONTH.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 13, 2012, 06:04 AM
    Do you plan to visit and stay overnight on your property in NE on a fairly regular basis during the year? If so you can call it your 2nd home or vacation home rather than calling it vacant.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ParentiIns View Post
    Pretty much no standard homeowner carriers will continue insurance on a vacant home, there are special carriers and policies for it. The new policy you get may also have sub limits for common vacancy claims such as water damage, vandalism, glass breakage, etc.

Work with an insurance broker to get a new policy for the home.

If you have more insurance questions don't hesitate to contact us, we have brokers for all the different types of insurance you might need.
    This site doesn't allow advertising. You can give advice, but you should not be posting your company name.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 09:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ParentiIns View Post
    Interesting, TONS of people posting their links on here I was just following suit. The name comes up with the link I can't tweak the name.
    A moderator will remove your links in your answers. This site offers free advice. If someone would like to give you a monetary sum for your advice, they can do that. We do not advertise our companies in our responses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can a person move into a home that has been left vacant? [ 2 Answers ]

There are two foreclosed houses down the road from our home. One is being maintained and is for sale, going on 2 years now. The other was maintained for a couple of years and then has been 'let go' for 3 years. I know of a family that needs housing for three months. They have been and would be...

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Okay, I admitted my lying to my parents, how should I handle the "talk" tonight? [ 5 Answers ]

I admitted to my parents that I was cheating in school. How should I handle the talk tonight?? Please answer!

View more questions Search