Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    booker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 05:35 PM
    20 hp Briggs and Stratton engine won't start -TroyBilt mower
    I have a Troy Bilt riding mower and it won't start. The battery has been checked. I think it's the starter. Anyone know how to change the starter?
    tttg Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by booker
    I have a Troy Bilt riding mower and it wont start. The battery has been checked. I think its the starter. Anyone know how to change the starter?
    One way to check if it is your starter or solenoid is to hook up the positive end of a jumper cable to the battery and the other end touch the red starter connection of the starter . It may spark a bit so make sure there is no gas and /or fumes around when doing this if your starter turns over the engine then most likely your ING. Switch or solenoidneeds to be replaced.
    Good luck.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2007, 01:00 AM
    Just simply put the key in the start position, and use a screwdriver to jump the two posts on the solenoid...
    DO NOT have any gas on you, near you, or any fumes when doing this...
    If nothing else... go over your wiring, wiggle the connections, tighten/clean them and check the fuse.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2007, 07:08 AM
    You May Have A Short In A Wire, A Blown Fuse, A Bad Solenoid, A Bad Solenoid Ground Where It Mounts To The Frame Of The Lawnmower, A Bad Ground From The Battery To The Frame, Or Perhaps Your Starter Is Bad. Electrical Parts Are Funny, They Can Go Bad In The Blink Of An Eye, Ohh, Wait A Minute , It Don't Take That Long. So , If You Have Not Been Having Starter Problems In The Past, I Would Check Other Items Listed Above. And Like You Were First Advised, I Would "jump Test" The Starter First To Check It, Which Is By Passing All Safety Devices.
    Turn The Key To The Run Position When You Test The Starter, If It Starts And Continues To Run, Then The Safety Switches Are O.k. Go To Grounds, And Solenoid Next.
    Mousie Mac Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2013, 06:30 PM
    The starter is not your problem. Replace your solenoid first then if that doesn't do it replace your ignition switch...
    Macsred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12.5 briggs and stratton won't start [ 18 Answers ]

I'm rebuilding the engine on my murray, it's a 12.5 horsepower power built. I have a brand new starter and the solonoid was replaced about a year ago, but it just clicks when I turn the key, if I hook up the starter and try and turn it over the solonoid clicks multiple times rapidly then won't...

I can't pull the starter cord on my 10hp Briggs and Stratton Engine [ 6 Answers ]

I recently purchased a two year old 10 hp Troy Built wood chipper. I've used it for about 4-5 hours and recently had to add a little oil. I added the correct type as per the manufacturers instructions. It started up just fine and after 15 minutes or so I shut it off to empty the bag. Once the...

16 HP Briggs and Stratton won't Start [ 11 Answers ]

I was mowing the lawn a couple of days ago and the engine just died on me. I have good spark. I bought a new fuel pump and installed it but still no luck. I can squirt some gas in the carb and it will start right up, then die back off as the gas is used up. There is plenty of gas going through the...

Briggs&Stratton engine 121602 [ 3 Answers ]

OK, Dh and I are havig a slight disgreement about the mower. It is a Murray, sold under the Scotts brand in 2000, with a briggs and stratton 6.5 hp engine number 121602. Now, a cable broke, the one from the handle that kills it when you let go, and it sat outside for a month while we got the...

Murray 12.5 Commercial Mower - Briggs Engine - Won't Start/Turn [ 3 Answers ]

So I'm mowing my back yard with my Murray lawn tractor. I brought it back to the garage and parked it, went inside to cool off, and when I went back out to put it back into the garage, it wouldn't start. I turned the key, and got nothing. The lights work, the battery is charged to 100%,...

View more questions Search