Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2013, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    So you are saying that a guy that lived all his life gay came to God and asked God to change him, no pressure from the church, god doesn't change them?
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. That's not how God operates.

I had a boyfriend in high school - wonderful guy, loving, and a great kisser -- who married one of our classmates and had a daughter. In his 50s he finally acknowledged he is gay (and always had had those feelings, but wanted to fit into a straight world, is religious so am sure he prayed fervently to be straight), so he and his wife divorced but remain good friends. He's been with his male partner for ten years now.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 08:09 AM
    I know loads of people like that. I know lots that DECIDED to turn gay. I know of some that turned to God and went straight
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2013, 08:12 AM
    I know loads of people like that. I know lots that DECIDED to turn gay. I know of some that turned to God and went straight
    A person can't change his biology. He can act a certain way, but that doesn't change who he really is inside.
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Then he wasn't gay in the first place.
    I have seen what you are saying loads of times. I have seen people DECIDE to turn gay. Least I Have seen a tiny percent that do .'overcome' their gay urge they had all their life by praying
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2013, 08:22 AM
    I have seen what you are saying loads of times. I have seen people DECIDE to turn gay. Least I Have seen a tiny percent that do .'overcome' their gay urge they had all their life by praying
    I can decide to turn gay too. I can do that fifteen minutes from now. Doesn't mean I am gay, but just means I am living as a gay. My being straight is still my basic nature.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2013, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Would you say he's not really a horrible person, just misguided?

(He was 4 when the organization was founded. I don't know when he became president. Although married with adopted children, he openly talks about being gay or struggling with it.)
    I haven't seen Alan in 40 days and 40 nights so I don't know. His parents were really nice people.

I thought he founded it but I haven't really looked into them much at all. I always thought they were a fluke every time I heard something about them. And I didn't even know Alan was involved. People are just sometimes misguided.

This could be it - the high school he went to was on Dyke Road. I think that solves the mystery.
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 08:28 AM
    Yes and that is why the gay community.has gotten as large as it has so many people claiming their gayness because they decided to 'turn gay'
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2013, 08:29 AM
    Yes and that is why the gay community.has gotten as large as it has so many people claiming their gayness because they decided to 'turn gay'
    What?
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 08:42 AM
    I know a lot of people that claim they turned gay because they had too many bad experiences with the opposite sex. They never had the desire to be gay but ended up living totally in the lifestyle,
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 08:50 AM
    Even that reverend guy (Alan Chambers) is living in the closet of self-loathingness and regret.

In January 2012 then- president of Exodus International Alan Chambers, during his address to a Gay Christian Network conference, stated that 99.9% of conversion therapy participants do not experience any change to their sexuality and apologized for the previous Exodus slogan "Change Is Possible".

Speaking to the New York Times in July 2012, Chambers talked about how he believed gay people can have gay sex and still go to heaven. "But we've been asking people with same-sex attractions to overcome something in a way that we don't ask of anyone else [with other sins].
    Also:
    Most of Exodus' leadership have successfully avoided controversy regarding their sexual identity for decades.

Michael Bussee, one of the founders of Exodus and Gary Cooper, a leader within the ministry of Exodus, left the group to be with each other in 1979.

Chambers says that he has mostly overcome his attraction to men (although he does speak openly about his own ongoing sexual attraction to men.

Chambers went on to tell the host (Michael Smerconish), that he has same-sex attraction and for anyone to say he does not have temptations, or that he could never be tempted, or does not have same-sex attraction is not true.
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 09:09 AM
    I guess it seems like it's the same difference ad once an alcoholic always an alcoholic even though you haven't drank in 30 years and have no real desire to
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2013, 09:09 AM
    I know a lot of people that claim they turned gay because they had too many bad experiences with the opposite sex. They never had the desire to be gay but ended up living totally in the lifestyle,
    You have had one-to-one conversations with all these people who have told you directly that they have decided to be gay? If not that, then how do you know this?
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2013, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Even that reverend guy (Alan Chambers) is living in the closet of self-loathingness and regret.

Also:
    For a Christian who is gay, this is a very difficult issue to struggle with. Alan's family's belief is that being gay is wrong and that gay people go to hell. Honestly what is a gay person supposed to do with those beliefs. I understand deeply why he had a difficult time with it. You can't just wish this away.
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I guess it seems like its the same difference ad once an alcholic always an alcholic
    If you view homosexuality as a disease.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2013, 09:11 AM
    I guess it seems like its the same difference ad once an alcholic always an alcholic even though you haven't drank in 30 years and have no real desire to
    For a recovering alcoholic, the desire is always there. It's a daily struggle -- "one day at a time."
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 09:28 AM
    Not saying it's a disease alcohol was only made a disease for money reasons.

I'm glad for my friends sake that God is bigger than people's all or nothing categories.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You have had one-to-one conversations with all these people who have told you directly that they have decided to be gay? If not that, then how do you know this?
    Yes my x sister in law her lover and her lovers daughter they all joked how they were going to turn gay and eventually did. My x sis in law did because she blamed her ex husband for their daughters death. Also many of my co workers and various others I have talked to over the past 15 years. I also know a lot of 'born that way gays'
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2013, 09:43 AM
    I also know a lot of 'born that way gays'
    Me too!
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2013, 10:03 AM
    Not saying it's a disease alcohol was only made a disease for money reasons.
    As much as I and a lot of people have issues with the DSM and big pharma, I do agree that alcohol addiction is a disease.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 3, 2013, 11:40 AM
    I guess it seems like its the same difference ad once an alcholic always an alcholic even though you haven't drank in 30 years and have no real desire to
    I think this is a terrible comparison. I'm not going to even go into it. Awful.
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2013, 12:26 PM
    Anything is possible. There is no proof that your orientation is genetics. I think it is a choice and when it is a choice, you can always choose the other side if you want to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I am gay and I kept convincing myself that I am straight... I don't want to be gay [ 7 Answers ]

I am 22 year old. I am indian and being an indian and that too gay is a big problem. Its look down upon. I kept convincing myself that I am at least bisexual but I am not. If my family would find out they will be broken down to pieces. I felt like killing myself before telling it to anyone. I just...

I'm gay, and I'm in love with a guy who I'm not sure is straight, bi, or gay? [ 2 Answers ]

I met this really nice and cute guy at a retreat and he's very nice to me. I always see him staring at me. When I notice he turns away. He always tells me the corniest jokes ever. I think he's straight but I get a feeling he's got a thing for me. But I feel like I'm just making false hope for...

I am a gay and I want to be straight again [ 7 Answers ]

Look I have been seduced as I was young and now when I grew enough to understand what is the meaning of a definition that I don't own in my personality manhood ,I really tried hard to stop doing these gay actions but all went in vain, I just want to know how to be straight again

Is he gay?straight?just no into me?why then? [ 8 Answers ]

Been with him for just over 5 months We have had sex 4 times maybe... Usually I am the one who's just not into sex But I am so attracted to him that I really want to for once. And he acts like he doesn't. Sometimes he teases me but it is only when he is going home(cause' its late and he's GOT...

View more questions Search