Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amandaleighann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2013, 11:46 AM
    Can I move my children out of Texas if I'm not married?
    The father of my children and I are not married but lived together the last 3 years .
    We were previously married and had a child who is 6 now. We divorced when he was 1 1/2 and we were separated for 2 1/2 years . During those 2 1/2 years I had and still have full custody of our 6 year old .
    We now have another child from this last 3 years . So a 6 year old and a 2 year old. My question is because we are not married and he has thrown me and my children out of our home and we have no family in Texas, can he prevent me from moving to Oklahoma with my dad while I get on my feet? (job,apt, etc) I do not want to make the move to Oklahoma only to be ordered by a judge to return to Texas... Please help me understand my rights as a mother who needs to move close to family to provide the best life for her children
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 29, 2013, 01:20 PM
    Your older child was born when you were married. Subsequent to his birth you were divorced. A part of the divorce decree should concern custody and visitation for this child. Doesn't it? If so, the provisions of that decree will govern custody and visitation for the older child, until the decree or custody order is modified. If your moving away would effect the father's visitation rights under that order, you would not be able to move. Furthermore, it may specifiy whether you may take this child out of the state or out of the local area. Review it to see.

As far as the younger child is concerned, it appears there is no custody/ visitation order in effect. Accordingly you could move with that child but, as you suggest, a court could order the child back. And Texas courts would have exclusive jurisdiction to determine custody of the younger child for six months after you take the child to Okalahoma. At any time in this six months, the father could file for custody in Texas.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 29, 2013, 03:03 PM
    As AK said, if he has visitation then you can't move if it would not allow him to exercise his visitation. You would be in contempt of court and could lose custody.
    Amandaleighann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2013, 10:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Your older child was born when you were married. Subsequent to his birth you were divorced. A part of the divorce decree should concern custody and visitation for this child. Doesn't it? If so, the provisions of that decree will govern custody and visitation for the older child, until the decree or custody order is modified. If your moving away would effect the father's visitation rights under that order, you would not be able to move. Furthermore, it may specifiy whether you may take this child out of the state or out of the local area. Review it to see.

As far as the younger child is concerned, it appears there is no custody/ visitation order in effect. Accordingly you could move with that child but, as you suggest, a court could order the child back. And Texas courts would have exclusive jurisdiction to determine custody of the younger child for six months after you take the child to Okalahoma. At any time in this six months, the father could file for custody in Texas.
    When I divorced the father of my one child at the time he was incarcerated for domestic violence against myself and our child. The state held him on 6 charges (long story short)went to trial jury could only find him guilty of 2 he served 2 years and got out . We both moved from Washington back to Texas where we were from in hopes of a new healthy start (didnt last)There are 2 protection orders in place currently that the state of Washington (will not drop even though I tried 2 times. Also the Washington parenting plan states that the father has no rights or visitation to our now 6 year old .We lived together on and off for the last 3 years anyway in Texas and had our second child .There is not a plan in place for our second child.He has become neglectful violent etc again and I can no longer subject my children or myself to this lifestyle and I do not have employment or family in Texas. I want to move to Oklahoma where I can get on my feet with the help of my father and his entire family, where I can be far away from him and provide a stable healthy life for my children with the help of a loving family . The father threatens he will " out lawyer" me because I currently do not have employment savings or a wealthy family that can afford the legal services he can. He threatens he will make it to where I can't take the boys out of Texas and I will be forced into a shelter and he will file for custody that I am unfit because I do not have employment or housing or a support system... I cannot allow my boys to be alone with him for a second for many reasons... So I feel stuck and would like to move to Oklahoma Monday and file for child support , seek employment, housing etc but I do not want to do this if he can legally force me to stay in Texas... I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place for lack of a better term . He is a felon and extremely abusive and mentally unhealthy .I would like to think a judge would not allow him rights to the children without serious requirements much less custody, but I don't know because he is extremely manipulative salesman liar vindictive and has a genius IQ . He intimidates me with his threats . He was in fact guilty of 6 charges and was able to convince a jury he was only guilty of 2. Please excuse my poor writing as I am stressed not sleeping and on a I phone :-/
    Can I move the children to Oklahoma or do I have to take them to shelter in Texas ? I will do whatever it takes to take care of my children and the thought of him taking them from me is almost debilitating . He is not a functioning man and has never cared for our children...
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 30, 2013, 04:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Amandaleighann View Post
    When I divorced the father... (long story short) ....
    Why is it when someone says "long story short", it's really just a long story?

And none of it changes what you already told us. Except that the detail about the Washington State parenting plan for the first child suggests that Texas may not have jurisdiction for that child, as I previously had thought.

Move. If he does file something in Texas, you can move to dismiss it under the UCCJEA (with respect to the older child, anyway).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 30, 2013, 06:28 AM
    The bottom line here is that, if you move, he can file for custody and he could force you to return. A lot depends on the status of the case in WA and whether they have jurisdiction.

But if he is the legal father he has rights. The fact that you moved back in with him and had another child with him after you divorced and he was jailed is going to sway a court against you.

On the other hand, the conviction could work for you. No way to predict what a court will do. You can't be prosecuted for moving, but you will have to wait to establish residence in OK before you can file for anything. Which gives him plenty of time to file in TX
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2013, 06:03 AM
    My daughters mother in law thought she was going to just move from Ohio to Georgia and take her daughter. The court made her bring her daughter back to Ohio to live with the dad. Now she has to drive all the way from Georgia to Ohio for visitations and going to court to fight to get custody. The court claims she only moved for spite. So it is best to get it straightened out BEFORE you move

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can she move? (Texas) [ 14 Answers ]

My husband has a 1 year old son who he is not currently seeing due to not having a phone number or a address. She claims that she moved from her current address, and she has had her phone disconnected. Can she move without giving him an updated address? Can she move out of state?

I'm engaged to a man stationed in WA. Can my children and I move from Texas [ 12 Answers ]

I live in Texas and he is stationed in WA. He is in the military and can't move.

Want to move out of Texas with my children have not been served any papers can I move [ 2 Answers ]

Want to move out of Texas with my children have not been served any papers can I move

I want to move to Texas and I am on probation [ 18 Answers ]

I just recently got a DUI in Ohio on October 5,2007. I got put onto probation in November. I am on probation for a year. I wanted to transfer everything to Texas and continue my probation there. I can't find a job or anything here in Ohio. I have a place to stay in Texas and I know it would be a...

Trying to move to Texas [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single mother of 2 daughters. One is my ex husbands, she is now 2 yrs old. I would really love to move to Texas with them. We will be able to start over with our lives and I will have a wonderful job with benefits which I currently do notr have now.. I am a little scared he will try to...

View more questions Search