Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zarco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 07:14 PM
    MOEN kitchen faucet shuts off by itself
    I have a single handle MOEN kitchen faucet. It was leaking from the base when it was on so I had to replace the cartridge or cylinder or whatever you call it and now the leak is gone and it works great. However, if you pull the handle all the way up to full on in any position it stays on. If you have it any less than all the way on, it shuts off all by itself like gravity is just making the handle fall to the off position. What can I do to prevent this from happening?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 4, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarco
    I have a single handle MOEN kitchen faucet. It was leaking from the base when it was on so I had to replace the cartridge or cylinder or whatever you call it and now the leak is gone and it works great. However, if you pull the handle all the way up to full on in any position it stays on. If you have it any less than all the way on, it shuts off all by itself like gravity is just making the handle fall to the off position. What can I do to prevent this from happening?
    Give it a little time and it will go away after the "O" rings in the cartridge swell a bit. I had the same problem when I replaced my Moen deck faucet.
    Not to worry! Regards, Tom
    jclee1708 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2013, 12:38 PM
    I ran into this problem with my Moen 7700 faucet - after replacing the cartridge, the faucet would (quickly) turn itself off. I spoke with Moen on the phone and they were good about sending me replacement parts (no charge, covered under "lifetime warranty", and I didn't need my original receipt even though technicalliy they require it). They guessed that it was part number 6 in this diagram ( http://www.ereplacementparts.com/moen-7700-chrome-single-handle-faucet-parts-c-143601_143605_202468.html ), which is a bunch of parts including the adapter and connector. My old connnector (the black rubber part with two holes in it) was apparently worn. Apparently the faucet relies on friction between this part and the metal adapter that it snaps around. With the old part I was able to tighten the cartridge screw so far that the two halves of the rubber connector were able to touch each other (and even after that did not create enough friction). With the new part I could not tighten it that far - the pressure on the metal adapter part was enough to prevent this, and apparently this friction is in part what keeps the faucet from turning itself off. After this it worked fine once again. I read in other places that this problem might be caused by too much lubricant in the cartridge, or like earlier in this thread that the "o rings" in a new part need to swell a little bit after installation to prevent this, but from my experience I don't think those are the most likely causes.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 20, 2013, 03:56 PM
    Hi and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AMHD.com. You're responding to a 6 year old dead thread. Please check the date before you post. Thanks
    Thanks for your input. I had the same problem myself with the new Moen kitchen faucet. I was told after the O-rings in the cartridge swelled a bit the handle would stay up. It took about a week and I've had no trouble since. Again, we appreciate your input. Regards, Tom
    jclee1708 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2013, 08:45 AM
    Thanks - when I entered it I did see that this was a fairly old thread - but I figured that since it turned up when I did a Google search on "moen kitchen faucet turns itself off", that it was reasonably probable that someone else might come across it. Glad to hear the oring swelling worked for you. Maybe it would have worked for me in due time, but we were really getting tired of the thing turning itself off - hard to do the kitchen dishes with one hand! I even paid $15 for Moen to rush-order it.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 21, 2013, 09:10 AM
    Hi jclee,
    I hope the new cartridge you does the trick. It takes a while for the O-rings to swell, save your old one for a replacement. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remove Moen tub faucet cartridge [ 14 Answers ]

Hi folks, I have a single handle Moen tub faucet that I'm trying to do some work on. A little description first. My bathtub faucet is teardrop shaped with the point of the teardrop pointing towards the floor. So when looking at it the writing is actually upside down. So to turn on the water...

Moen faucet diverter [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old Moen single lever faucet in my kitchen. About one week ago, it started showing signs of a problem. When I turn it on after it hasn't been used for an hour or two, the water pressure is very low, almost none. If I turn it on and off a few times, then the pressure gets better....

Moen Faucet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Tom I found the site and registered but I still need my son to reduce the size of the pictures so I can attach them. He took the photo-editing software off my computer. I'll get back to you shortly. Thanks. Mark Ingham

Diverter valve for Moen faucet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need to replace the diverter valve (1225) on the kitchen faucet. Do I need to remove the entire faucet to do this? If so how do I do this? Thanks

Moen Faucet problems [ 3 Answers ]

The Moen faucet in my shower comes away from the wall when the shower is turned to hot and water is diverted through the shower head. How do I fix this problem?

View more questions Search