Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Plumberwannabe1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2011, 04:18 PM
    How long do water bladder tanks last?
    Hi, I'd appreciate any info. On how long my bladder water storage tank should last. We built our home 16+ years ago and have replace the well pump a few years back. The tank is fine, just want to get a jump on replacing it if its life expectancy is over. Thanks so much!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 19, 2011, 04:42 PM

Really no predetermined life span. Its kind of like a water heater, sometimes they last a few years, sometimes they last fifty. Normally they are not changed out for maintanance, but only once they fail. However, with really old well systems, we usually will replace the pressure tank, and switch when we replace the pump. In your case, I think you should be fine for a while. Good luck.
    Plumberwannabe1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2011, 07:03 AM
    Thank you very much for your response. Are there stainless steel bladder tanks available as we are concerned with chemicals leaching into the water from the tank/pvc piping from our well? Thanks a lot!
    Carolyn Putney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2013, 09:54 AM
    We had a Champion installed in 2003 and it only lasted about 4 years. This was after our original one (can't remember brand name) had lasted 32 years! We couldn't afford a new one until now and just put in a WaterWorks. Also replaced the water softener. We have an online water filter to catch sediment that comes through.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 19, 2013, 05:41 PM
    we are concerned with chemicals leaching into the water from the tank/pvc piping from our well?
    Where did you get your information? There are no records of chemicals in a PVC system. In all the years I have been installing PVC piping this is the first time of overheard this fear . Is this something new? Let me know , Tom
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2013, 07:30 PM
    SS or epoxy lined tank would not have any effect on chemicals. PVC, particularly for cold water is NSF approved. The NSF Plastics Piping standard (NSF/ANSI Standard 14) has been in place for more than 45 years and is highly recognized by code and regulatory officials, manufacturers, and plumbers to verify the performance and safety of plastic piping system components and related materials. The standard contains physical, performance, and quality requirements and also requires ongoing monitoring for plastic piping system components and related materials. It addresses any material used in a plastic piping system, including PVC, CPVC, PE, PEX, ABS, NP, PP, as well as brass, copper, composites, and other materials. Additionally, the standard includes criteria for PVC ingredients.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Balancing two bladder type water pressure tanks [ 11 Answers ]

Former owners installed two 85 gal pressure tanks. However, only one tank seems to be filling. The pressure switch is a 30-50 set at about 32-42. The tanks are new bladder type and are pressurized to 30 psi each. They are connect in series with the water line connecting to one end of the...

Wells and water softeners and bladder tanks? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, we recently installed a water softener for our home and are now experiencing a high water pressure reading at our switch (100-110#). My husband has tried many times to adjust it, but is simply unable to determine what is causing this pressure issue from switch to the pump. Any time we run our...

Chlorine, and bladder tanks [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently injecting chlorine into my well water supply to help with sulpher. It has proven to be very helrpful in making the water a better quality. The down side is the fact chlorine is hard on the bladder in my pressure tank. I replaced the tank approximatly one year after adding the...

Bladder tanks [ 2 Answers ]

How do you know if your bladder tank is bad. My pump cycles a lot and I loose pressure quickly until my pump kicks back on.

Bladder tanks [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering how much pressure should be in a bladder tank? :rolleyes:

View more questions Search