Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thoughtiwastheman Posts: 114, Reputation: 22

Jun 16, 2013, 09:39 AM
    I need money for a burial
    Guys, my dad's life insurance was cancelled and now we need money to bury him. The reason why the insurance was cancel is a long story that I do not wish to get into here. In any case, I cannot borrow money because I am married, in school, and my wife and I are planning on buying a house in the next year or so. My mother owns a house and we tried getting a loan from the bank but was told that her debt to income percentage is too high. What are our option now? Where can we (my mother) go to get about $15,000.00 so we can start planning my dad's burial? My dad has not passed yet but he is not in the best of conditions. Thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2013, 09:51 AM
    Why on earth would you spend $15,000 for a burial? You have no money for that. A simple cremation with a service at the funeral home or just graveside rites would cost only a few hundred dollars.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 16, 2013, 10:00 AM
    My state (CT) has the strictest burial laws in the US, according to the funeral home owner who handled my parent's funerals. It isn't possible to spend less than maybe 1 or 2 thousand, I think. He told me stories of people taking bodies to NH, where it really is cheap, or even of taking dying elderly out of care to a cheaper state, where you can even bury someone in your yard.
    Spending 15K is absurd. Since you are taking the time now to shop around, do a bit more research, and cut a few frills out. You can honor your dad in countless ways that cost nothing. And since you are buying a house in the near future, you aren't broke anyway.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 16, 2013, 02:54 PM
    If you live near the ocean, you can have a burial at sea. Without cremation, the boat has to go at least 3 miles from land and the ocean must be at least 600' deep. The body must be arranged to sink and you may not throw anything that isn't biodegradable in the water. The regional EPA office nearest where the boat left port must be notified within 30 days.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 16, 2013, 03:27 PM
    Planning a little early? You haven't explored all of your options?

Cremation is cheap and who needs a 15000 dollar funeral. Where do you live on mars??

If you were in Canada, Canada pension plan would contribute 3000 dollars to funeral expenses, if in the US your gov't falls short.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 16, 2013, 03:29 PM
    Hay, guy, why was his insurance cancelled, you guys didn't pay the premiums?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2013, 05:28 PM
    Everything's been said that can be said.

>thread closed<

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Law on burial [ 23 Answers ]

I know this lovely American old couple who have been living in Costa Rica for the past several years. He passed away a few weeks ago and despite his written will, the wife didn't take the corps to the U.S. for the funeral. She instead buried him in a local cemetery. Now the deceased husband's...

Burial of ashes? [ 5 Answers ]

My girlfriends dad passed back in December of 2011 and its now September of 2012 and he was spouse to be buried back in spring its been almost a year and she is really stressed out and I wan to know if there a way to take ownership of the ashes from her older brother so he can be buried and she can...

Direct Burial Cable [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am looking to power a detached workshop. I am planning on getting a second service installed and placing running a direct burial cable from the service to a 200 a breaker in the workshop. The run length will be 100-150 feet. Suggestions on wire type / size are appreciated. ...

Jewish burial [ 4 Answers ]

My late husband was raised an Orthodox Jew and later changed to a Reform Jew (I don't mean to offend anyone and hope I am phrasing this properly), before I met him. When he died I was told by his Uncle and cousin, both Rabbis, that he had to be buried before sundown (or a day later if people...

Green burial [ 5 Answers ]

Recently I was looking at a web site that I frequent and they were advertising card board caskets. I was wondering if it was legal to be buried in a card board casket? %^)

View more questions Search