Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sobergirl21 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2013, 06:14 PM
    False positive ETG... sending out for confirmation
    Please help. I received a call from my probation officer this am telling me I had tested positive for ETG. I haven't drank in a year, nor do I take any OTC medications. Obviously I denied it, as that was the truth, I take my sobriety very seriously. She said they are going to send the test for confirmation based on my denial. What exactly is confirmation and why would that produce a different result?
    She said she does believe me, and I have offered to take a hair follicle test. I just don't understand why a test would show up positive and then has the potential to not be after they run a "confirmation." What is this?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 4, 2013, 06:17 PM
    Do you use mouthwash? Hand Sanitizer? Many daily things contain alcohol that can be absorbed through your skin or mucous membranes.

Jun 4, 2013, 06:26 PM
    I know. I work at a thrift store where we use cleaning products and ran over to do a test on my break. The thing that confuses me is that she states the confirmation test can distinguish between consumption and incidental exposure to alcohol, and that other people in the program have had initial positives, which where then negative after confirmation (due to diabetes, being around cleaning products etc). I just wanted to know if this is true or not. If it is, then I am in the clear, but I haven't seen much info on it.
    mocha54 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2013, 01:35 AM
    There is a gcms test that will confirm if you have consumed alcohol

Jun 6, 2013, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mocha54 View Post
    There is a gcms test that will confirm if you have consumed alcohol
    My initial EtG came back as 640. No other values. Confirmation screen should be back tomorrow. I did not ingest any alcohol. Will keep you posted on the results even after I go to jail. Said she thinks incidental, but according to itc in Colorado, a jail sanction

Jun 7, 2013, 05:04 PM
    I wanted to add how this ended. The second (confirmation) screen showed zero EtG and zero ets, so apparently whatever they are doing for the first screen has a failure rate that is signifcant... I spoke to someone else who had 3 test positive for ETG followed by 3 negative confirmation screens. The lab performing these tests is Norchem in Flagstaff AZ, in case anyone runs across this.

I think what angers me is that they were going to send me to jail WITHOUT running the confirmation screen first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

EtG false positive [ 1 Answers ]

I had my hair dyed 24 hrs before an ETG urine test... it turns out the 3rd ingedient In the dye is alcohol denat... should I be concerned?

False positive ETG [ 4 Answers ]

Dr. Skipper I was recently given an ETG test and it came back positive. I haven't been drinking for almost a year now, but somehow I've tested positive. The test shows that no alcohol (Ethanol) was detected. The method was EA. The cutoff 0.04 g/dl. But ethyl glucuronide was detected. Method was...

Pregnant and got a false positive EtG [ 5 Answers ]

I am 30 weeks pregnant and got a false positive for EtG... I did not drink... please help me creatine levels 119.70 positive EtG with a cutoff of 500!

Alcohol ets EtG false positive [ 5 Answers ]

Dr. Bill, I tested positive for alcohol but did not consume. The lab report indicates as follows: ETG negative (cutoff 500 ng/ml) ETS positive (cutoff 100 ng/ml) ETS level 120 Creatine 176.1 All else normal

False ETG positive with Ibuprofein? [ 3 Answers ]

Dr. Bill I hurt my low back while shoveling snow on Friday. I took 1200mg of regular Ibuprofein on Saturday, then, on Sunday, took 400mg at 8am, And then I took another 400mg alcohol free ibuprofein at 2pm, I need to to take ETG/Poly test at 7pm today (monday). I just found an article...

View more questions Search