Ask
    David Nars Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 12:27 AM
    Fiberglass shower drain replacement
    Hi There!

I have a 2nd floor fiberglass shower.

The drain was leaking.

I cut a hole through the ceiling.

It's a 2 inch brass drain with a compression fitting.

I got the old drain out OK.

Bought a new Sioux Chief replacement drain.

My questions are a follows:

Isn't there a tool I can obtain to take out the compression nut that sits over the compression washer instead of crossing 2 screwdrivers to unloosen the
    Compression nut? If there is what is it's name and where can I get one.
    Menards and Home Depot do not have one.

When I put in the new drain how tight do I tighten the compression nut
    Over the compression washer?

Also when I tighten the slip nut on the underside of the drain to the underside
    Of the shower there is about a 4 inch circle cut around the drain as the shower
    Base sits on top of 3/4 inch plywood to ensure the shower floor is sturdy and level.
    Isn't there an offset slip nut wrench you can get bigger than 2 inches to actually fit
    Snugly around the slip nut so it is easily removed. Once again the largest wrench
    I could find was 2 inches so when I tried to grab the slip nut because it wasn't offset
    It wouldn't grab it.

I got lucky and was able to latch on to one of the teats with a vise grip and
    With the 2 screw drivers it all came off.

Any help or information given would be appreciated.

Regards,

David Nars
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Considering the cramped work-space limitations you face, you would do better to return the drain you bought and replace the drain body with a "Davke 2000" No-Caulk drain assembly.

The Davke was designed for just the scenario you describe -- It tightens up much like a garbage disposal shoe, eliminating the need to crank down on a large nut.

As for the tool needed to tighten the inner ring, the drain assembly should come with one just under the grid top.

Do yourself a favor, when installing the rubber ring, coat it liberally with clear silicone caulk, this will make seating the rubber ring all the way to the bottom of the drain assembly much easier -- Silicone caulk is very slippery.

And if a bit of pipe protrudes past the rubber ring and the brass compression ring, you can cut it flush internally with a dremel tool and corrugated cut-off wheel.

Good Luck!
    Attached Images

doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 03:45 AM
    I like the answer growler gave and would love to be able to do that. Where would I get that shower drain to stock my truck? I have never seen or heard of one.
    The brass no-caulk drain that was removed is probably the best option [next to that special drain] to use. Lowe's sells a drain that has no nut on the bottom. It tightens from the top. On a second floor install that may better suit you. But, why is the drain leaking? Does the shower floor flex? You may have to support the fiberglass so the repair will not leak.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 07:56 AM
    I like the answer growler gave and would love to be able to do that. Where would I get that shower drain to stock my truck? I have never seen or heard of one.
    Try contacting the inventor to see if it is stocked locally at any of your supply houses.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 17, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    i like the answer growler gave and would love to be able to do that. where would i get that shower drain to stock my truck? i have never seen or heard of one.
    the brass no-caulk drain that was removed is probably the best option [next to that special drain] to use. lowes sells a drain that has no nut on the bottom. it tightens from the top. on a second floor install that may better suit you. but, why is the drain leaking? does the shower floor flex? you may have to support the fiberglass so the repair will not leak.
    Growler gave you good advice but if you can't locate a Davke 2000 shower drain consider a WingTite shower drain, (see image), which uses the same principle and can be purchased at most stores. Good luck, Tom
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 05:21 PM
    Growler, thanks. I contacted the company. Tom, I have not seen one of those either. My experience has been in the pensacola area from 1973 till 1987 then the orlando area for 15 years and not the atlanta metro area for 6 years. I may need to get out more.
    Mosez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Not an answer, but a repeat of the first question really: is there such a thing as an offset or right-angle wrench to use on the no-caulk shower drain ring that can be used in tight spaces?

My problem is similar to that of the topic starter. I ordered a WingTite drain but still have to get the leaking one out, or at least loosen it.

I have 2 separate layers of drywall (ceiling and recessed pipe cover) and a old deck supporting the shower pan to cut through. Plus lots of other pipes in the way. I should be able to cut some of the deck away, but definitely not enough to allow for a full wrench or pair of pliers to be put in place.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Yes there is. I think home depot now carries it. It is a large socket, plastic, that is used on the nut under the typicall shower drain or the large nut sink basket strainer. It fits in a 5 or 6 inch hole
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 21, 2007, 04:17 PM
    If you can't locate a wrench I take a hammer and cold chisel and whack the retaining nut counterclockwise until I can take it off by hand. Good luck, Tom
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    If you can't locate a wrench I take a hammer and cold chisel and whack the retaining nut counterclockwise until I can take it off by hand. Good luck, Tom
    Hell, I just cut the big ol' nut off with my trusty Dremel tool and a reinforced cut-off wheel.:D

Two cuts and you can pry it off - Then again, you *DO* need to be very careful you don't slip and accidentally cut into the shower base.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2007, 05:40 PM
    OK, now how are you going to reinstall it? Lowe's carries a shower drain that fits snug up to the bottom of the shower and all pieces thread in and tighten from the top. It is pvc and glues on.
    Mosez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    yes there is. i think home depot now carries it. it is a large socket, plastic, that is used on the nut under the typicall shower drain or the large nut sink basket strainer. it fits in a 5 or 6 inch hole
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler
    Hell, I just cut the big ol' nut off with my trusty Dremel tool and a reinforced cut-off wheel.:D

Two cuts and you can pry it off - Then again, you *DO* need to be very careful you don't slip and accidentally cut into the shower base.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Thanks guys, very helpful. I checked Lowe's and a Bill's Hardware (specialized store here in the DC area), but no luck. Will check out Home Depot tomorrow but might end up whacking/cutting that nut. Planned on replacing the old drain for a WingTite drain anyway.

Probably have to resolve some flexing of the shower pan as well. I doubt if it was properly set in a mortar base. Oh, the joys of homeownership...
    wjn62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2013, 04:49 AM
    Thank you for the info on the Davke shower drain, after many hours of searching for a fix to my leaking fiberglass shower drain with no space for a wrench this will work, and the owner of Davke shower drains was great, thanks again. Jim in NY.
    Eternal Plumber

May 27, 2013, 05:28 AM
    Hi Jim and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AMHD.com. You're responding to a 6 year old dead threads s. Please check the date before you post. Thanks for the update. Hope all is well. Tom
    srichter Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2013, 12:23 PM
    Massplumber referred me to bulldogdraintool.com. They have wrench that works on the compression nut on no caulk drains.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Going at leaky fiberglass shower drain from the top [ 5 Answers ]

I have a leaking shower drain on the second floor of my home. When we bought the house last year, the floor of the one-unit fiberglass shower gave a bit under my weight. You won't be surprised to learn that all that flexing caused the lip of the drain to separate slightly from the shower floor. The...

Fiberglass shower drain removal [ 1 Answers ]

All we wanted to do is change our drain from brass to chrome in our fiber glass shower and I'm afaid we have bitten off more than we can chew. The brass drain is glued in with a 2" piece of pvc pipe sticking up in the center. How can we remove the brass drain wtihout damaging the shower or going...

Installing a drain in a fiberglass shower [ 1 Answers ]

I’m in the process of installing a fiberglass shower unit in a new basement bathroom, but am somewhat stumped regarding how to attach the drain to the shower and then to the PVC pipe. The floor is concrete and I have 2” PVC rough in for the shower. Once I cut the PVC to the correct height, and...

Fiberglass shower drain leak [ 3 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass shower leak drain leak. It is caused by the fiberglass cracking around the drain. I need to confirm my process for fixing this problem. 1. Remove old drain. It is a metal with a nut on the bottom. Can't unscrew it because the drain is so loose that it turns in the drain...

ABS Fiberglass Shower Drain Installation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've read some great posts on the forums but still can't fully answer my hopefully simple question. I'm installing a fiberglass shower in my basement and picked up an ABS screw-in drain for it to connect to my abs drain pipe. The drain came with a rubber gasket, I'm wondering which side of...

View more questions Search