Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimbobcooley Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Older Craftsman Tiller w/5hp Briggs and Stratton
    I recently acquired an old tiller that I have gotten to run. It will only run on full choke. It will only till for about a minute or so before going dead. It will idle for a long period, but it's kind of a rough idle. Do I need to adjust the carberator? I have already changed out the gas and sprayed carb cleaner in the carb. I have let it idle for over an hour all together so it should be cleaned out fairly well. When I ease it off full choke it starts sputtering and goes dead. I put it back on full choke and one pull it fires right back up. I've let it idle for 30 minutes straight and it still has to be on choke.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
    Jim Bob
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 29, 2007, 08:29 PM
    You can try opening the main jet if it is adjustable but it sounds pretty pluged. I would remove and clean completley.

Don

Mar 29, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by newaukumdon
    You can try opening the main jet if it is adjustable but it sounds pretty pluged. I would remove and clean completley.

Should I just soak it in gas for a few days? Or use carb cleaner again? Or both? I tilled with it this afternoon for about 30 minutes or so. It ran fairly well, but was still on full choke. I figured it would have to be a fuel delivery problem. I couldn't find a fuel filter on it. Do they have one?

Thanks again,
    JB
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 29, 2007, 08:50 PM
    I am not sure of your engine model, but most have a nylon filter in tank tha does not give much trouble. If you disassemble the carb the problem should be obvious. Buy some spray carb cleaner and clean all orifices.

Don

Mar 30, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Thanks for the help. I'll try that.

JB
    boxblade22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2008, 07:49 PM
    I have toyed with briggs & stratton small motors most of my life. Now, with the bragging out of the way, I believe the trouble is the circular screen at the bottom of the suction tube that runs down into the fuel tank. It is probably clogged to the point where it will let a little fuel be sucked up (enough to let the motor idle) and not enough to allow the motor to retrieve the fuel it needs to operate at a higher speed. I hope this helps and let me know either way. I know how frustrating it can be to not get your engines to run properly. If this does not help then we'll work on another possible solution. Good luck, Paul T. One more thing, also clean out the tube with a small piece of wire then with carburetor cleaner.

Feb 29, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Thanks boxblade22. I have since cleaned out the fuel tank carb and every other orifice on the thing and have run it for a long period. It runs fairly well now. I think it had just been sitting up for a long period.

JB
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Did you remove the diaphram cover and clean the holes there also? And while you are there check to see if the diaphram is hardened
    catnuts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 11:55 AM
    I had the same problem with mine, took it all apart and the screen was clogged in the tank. I cleaned screen,put in a new diaphram, now I can't remember how all the linkages go back. Mine has the adj. throttle, my neighbors does not. Any where I can find a good picture on how it goes? I might still have the manual, if I can find it, thanks
    catnuts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2008, 12:09 PM

I just found my manual, it has the parts catalog, maybe I can get it back together, but if anyone knows a better picture, please let me know. I never was impressed with this engine to start with Thanks, Doug
    kjfrank Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 11:24 AM
    Can not get belt guard back on for cratsman tiller 917.298351. There is a bolt with a hook on that goes inside that I can not see where it hooks or what it does. The top and back bolts are no problem .
    Thanks
    Baisey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2012, 05:20 PM
    The metal gas tank is probably rusting on inside. I had this problem. Replace tank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp OHV - Won't Run [ 8 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that was running great. It shut off in the middle of cutting and that was that. If I pour gas in the carb it tries to start, so I know I have fire. I have plenty of gas going to the carb and the solenoid on the bottom is working fine. I had the carb off, took the main...

15.5 briggs & Stratton "Craftsman Riding mower [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman 42" Riding mower that's approx 5-7 years old. It runs great when it runs, but when I try to start it up is when I run into trouble. Ive replaced the battery... brushes in the starter... fuel filter... cleaned all the battery connections including the ground on the frame. It...

12.5hp I/C Briggs&Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

I went to start my riding mower for the first time this year and when it started is smoked real bad. I turned it off and checked the oil, it was over filled. I went to drain the oil and discovered it had gas in the oil. It ran fine last year, but I didn't drain the gas out at the end of the season....

Briggs & Stratton 10.5hp ignition circuit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello and greetings from New Zealand. I am wanting to fit a key activated ignition switch on to my B&S 10.5hp rear engine rider. The current systems is just a push button kill switch and a manually operated solenoid for the starting. As I have grand kids running around the yard on a regular basis...

How to adjust governor on older 8HP Briggs and Stratton mower motor [ 1 Answers ]

I had to dismantle two engines to make one. Have forgotten how to adjust governor. I have fully closed buttefly in carby, and turned governor actuating lever fully anti-clockwise before re-tightening clamp on governor arm. Is this right or wrong?

View more questions Search