Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    delsol911 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Changing light fixture- wires ( red, black and white?)
    Just changed light fixture. When I put the power back on the light worked but the switch on the wall will not shut the light off.

In the ceiling there was 3 wires. One black,one white and one red. The fixture that I put up has only black, white and ground. So I attached the black to black, white to white and the ground to the grounding post. The red I just capped off. Now the power is getting to the fixture and it works, but I can not shut the light off by the switch.

I looked at the wall switch and it has a red wire hooked up to the switch on the top and black wires hooked on the bottom of the light switch.

Why is the wall switch not working? Should I have attached the red wire in the ceiling to the black wires? Would that work?

Please help. I have changed lights before but always there has only been black and white wires to attach.

Thanks in advance.

Scott
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 30, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Scott,

What you are looking at is a switch loop. And yes, the wiring is screwed up.

Connect the Red in the Ceiling to the Black wire from the power source. Connect the Black wire from the switch to the Black wire from the fixture. Connect the white wires together and connect all grounds.

Turn power back on and then flip the switch and duck. Actually you should have the light functioning properly.
    delsol911 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Just to clarify,
    I can attach the red in the ceiling with the black from the light and the black that comes from the ceiling? All 3 together?
    There is only one black wire the ceiling.

Dec 30, 2007, 03:11 PM
    What wires are coming from the fixture?

If you have 14/2 to the ceiling, (Black, White and bare ground) Black is load carrying, White is the Neutral return and bare is Ground.

The run to the switch is made with Black and Red, You should run Neutral through a switch. Switches are for hot wires only. So "Red" would attach to the ceiling Black. Black from the switch should connect to the Black from the fixture and ground to ground. The White wire from the fixture connects to the white from the ceiling.

Just for safety sake, are there two switches that should operate the light? If there are, then the above configuration will not work,
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Try connecting the red at the ceiling to the black of the light and capping off the black.

I don't see how you could do a switch loop with only one cable at the light.
    waterfallx7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 12:02 PM
    Comment on delsol911's post
    I have the same wiring. Did you hook up the red and the black to the black on your light switch and then hook up the white to the white on your light fixture?
    sheap50 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2011, 08:21 AM
    Hi there. I am hooking up a chandelier and just had the same issue. Just wondering if you can tell me how you ended up hooking up the wires to get the switch to turn off the light? I'm told my red in the ceiling is for the switch, but my chandelier fixture only has black,white and ground. So, I'm trying to figure out wher I hook up the red to on the fixture. Do I attach it also to the black? Thx.

May 24, 2011, 02:52 PM

Greetings Sheap.

There are two places that I need you to look, please.

I need to know what wires were in the ceiling when you removed the old fixture.

Also, please remove the faceplate and pull the light switch out and let us know what wires are connected to the switch.

It is entirely possible that your switch loop is connected wrong.

If you can send some pictures along that would help us quite a bit.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 24, 2011, 03:32 PM

Attached Images

sheap50 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2011, 07:39 PM
    Comment on donf's post
    Hi Don,
    There never was an old fixture on the ceiling. This is the first since the junction box was installed. The wires on the ceiling are red, black, white and copper. I removed the faceplate to the light switch to try and get some info for you, and there was a lot going on! Here is my best take on it. There were 2 black wires going to switch. One was connected together with anither black under a wire nut. The other was connected together with a red under a wire nut. White looked to be completely capped off.
    christian24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2011, 05:13 PM
    Hi Don, I ran into this same problem I was wondering if you solved it?
    christian24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2011, 05:14 PM
    By Don I mean sheap•
    tony bennett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2012, 02:19 PM
    Hi,

Just replacing a light future in my garage, question is, they have 2 white wires attached to the fixture and 1 red ( believe this is the from the wall switch }
    Anyway the 2 blacks coming out from the ceiling are connected together, my new fixture has 1 white, 1 black, and a green ( the green I assume is neutral}
    Anyway what wires connect to what as this isn't a simple black and white connect from ceiling to fixture, please and thank you so very much.

[email protected]

Tony
    Jamtcam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2013, 11:05 AM
    The question was very clear and I could describe precisely the same situation at my home: Ceiling box has three wires (black, red and white) + ground. Light fixture has two wires (black and white) + ground wire. Normally, black wires are attached to white wires. I can handle that. But that leaves the red wire unconnected AND the wall switch does NOT turn the ceiling light on and off. So what is the proper connection?? I have gotten a bunch of answers on this very specific and common question; none of them have worked thus far.

May 11, 2013, 12:02 PM
    I need to know the following, please.

What are the connections at the wall switch?

Where is the source for the power coming from, the ceiling outlet box or to the switch and then to the ceiling outlet box?

Also, where are you located?
    jasonbran16 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2013, 07:01 PM
    What if I am connecting a light with the same configuration - only to a combo outlet/switch fixture?

From light is red, white, and black wires.

From breaker box is black and white wires

From the combo fixture are two black wires, two silver screws, and two brass screws

I would love to make it so the outlet works all of the time and the switch controls the light.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 3, 2013, 09:12 PM
    Jason re-posted on a separate thread.
    Bleedgreen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2013, 07:17 AM
    Hi,
    I have a similar problem as delsol911. I'm hanging a ceiling fan that has an light attachment. So, from the junction box (ceiling) there are 3 wires black, white and red. On the housing unit (fan assembly) there are 3 wires a black, blue and white. The ground wire (green) is attached to the mounting bracket I must attach first before anything else. So, I attached the black wire from junction box (ceiling) to black and blue wire from the housing on fan (as instructed) then the white from (ceiling) to the white housing on fan. I have no idea what the red is for so, I capped it off. My fan work but, the light doesn't. What is the red wire for? Please stay clear with terms I've used to explain how to correct the problem. Thx
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2013, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedgreen View Post
    Hi,
    I have a similar problem as delsol911. I'm hanging a ceiling fan that has an light attachment. So, from the junction box (ceiling) there are 3 wires black, white and red. On the housing unit (fan assembly) there are 3 wires a black, blue and white. The ground wire (green) is attached to the mounting bracket I must attach first before anything else. So, I attached the black wire from junction box (ceiling) to black and blue wire from the housing on fan (as instructed) then the white from (ceiling) to the white housing on fan. I have no idea what the red is for so, I capped it off. My fan work but, the light doesn't. What is the red wire for? Please stay clear with terms i've used to explain how to correct the problem. Thx
    The red wire would indicate another switch that would be connected to the light. Is there another switch? If yes, connect the red to blue. In not, cap red and recheck blue black fan wires to black hot. Also make sure light switch is on and bulbs are good. Voltage checker or VOM would be very helpful to you for checking current path.
    SherryWebb Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2014, 12:23 PM
    AWESOME pictorial schematic. I FINALLY got my light working in the dining room; It is 3 going on 4 years since it last worked and this pictorial was EXACTLY what I needed to figure it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Vanity: Four Lights and Wires to replace Two Light Fixture [ 3 Answers ]

We took out a two light vanity fixture that had two sets of black and white wires. The new fixture has four lights and four sets of black and white wires. Is there anything special we have to do to install it? Can we splice the wires somehow or do we have to add more wiring to the original...

Matching color-coded wires on a light fixture [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am installing a light fixture (I;m in the U.S.) and the box has a black and a white wire plus the ground wire, but my (European?) light fixture has blue, brown, and yellow-green. Can someone advise me on which wire should connect to the white and which to the black? Thank you for helping.

Changing ceiling light, there are 3 wires? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I'm replacing the light fixture on our bedroom ceiling. When I removed the old fixture I found a red wire from the house connected to the black leads on the old fixture, a white wire from the house connected to the white leads on the old fixture, and 2-3 black wires from the house all taped...

Blue, Black and White wires in celing fan [ 2 Answers ]

I removed a ceiling fan to replace a switch but did not note the wires. Now I want to replace the fan but find it has Blue, Black and White wires, whereas the wires coming from the ceiling are only White and Black. It also has a green wire attached to the casing. Does the blue and black wire...

View more questions Search