Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sqaman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 08:26 PM
    Upper Denture Causes Gag Reflex
    Dear Dr.
    I had worn a full upper denture for about 12 months with absolutely no problems but, for the past three months, I cannot wear them without them causing me to gag. I can allay the problem by chewing on gum and it is not a problem when I eat but otherwise, I cannot
    Keep them in my mouth. The gagging stops immediately upon removal. I have also recently noticed that even the gum is ineffective when I'm physically stressed. This occurred after a couple hours of raking my lawn. I really started to gag even with the gum and had to remove the denture. What can I do? Can my dentist shorten the dentures. I mentioned it to him and he said it would affect the suction and fit of the denture.

Ed Brown
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 08:34 PM

If the dentures are shortened, it will affect the suction and they won't stay in as well. You said you've only been wearing a full denture for about a year-- did you have teeth removed at the time this denture was made? If so, there's a good chance you need to have a reline. The reline will make the denture fit better because after removal of teeth the bone shrinks causing the denture not to feel as secure. It may be slipping slightly and therefore causing the gagging.
    sqaman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 09:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    If the dentures are shortened, it will affect the suction and they won't stay in as well. You said you've only been wearing a full denture for about a year-- did you have teeth removed at the time this denture was made? If so, there's a good chance you need to have a reline. The reline will make the denture fit better because after removal of teeth the bone shrinks causing the denture not to feel as secure. It may be slipping slightly and therefore causing the gagging.

Yes, I had 9 teeth removed and I have not yet had a reline so, do you think that a reline may help. I do have some slippage now when I talk but not always. At times, they fit tightly and slip on other occasions.

Ed Brown
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 10:01 PM

Yes, I'd suggest having a reline. That should help with the slippage and hopefully if they aren't slipping then you shouldn't experience the gagging. Since you had so many teeth removed at once, you will probably need to have this denture replaced fairly soon. After extracting teeth, the gum tissue heals and once the swelling goes down, the denture won't fit the same.

A lot of times dentists offer this as a "package" at the time the first denture is made. Many dentists can do a reline in the office same day.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Mar 24, 2009, 11:02 PM

Try a reline, or maybe get it ground down near the back, but not on the internal surface (the part that provides suction)
    sheliagrisby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 03:53 PM
    I got an upper denture in Jan 2010, I got all my teeth pull at the top but I had to go back several times cause the gum part of the dentures was wearing off were I could see my teeth in the inside of them and they made me gag all the time so I went back on the 4th of May and they fit perfect but I have started back gaging and I don't understand why the gum part is wearing out so thin and fast I paid this dentist $849:00 to fix my mouth and it has been only 4 in a half month what should I do.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2010, 07:20 AM
    I'd suggest you see a denturist for a consultation. He/she might be able to give you some suggestions if your dentist hasn't been able to answer your questions.
    asdhnlwdvon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2013, 10:01 PM
    I have had a real hard time getting use to my upper dentures, gagging is a real problem ,but when I use denture addhesive it stops the gagging pretty much , I found that fixodent with scope is the best at least for me anyway. It has been two years and I still gag,so the other day I went to have a liner ajustment and the dentist shaved of quit a bit of the back and I don't gag as bad. Before this I couldn't even put them in my mouth with out wanting to throw up now I can wear them with out addhesive but when I want to eat I use addhesive that I carry all the time. Eating chocolate seams to desolve the addhesion of the addhesive so stay away from chocolate. When I do eat sweets like chocolat I just take them out and pig out..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rsd, reflex sympathetic dystrophy [ 2 Answers ]

My son has been told he has RSD, reflex sympathetic dystropy. I am looking for treatment and pain relief advice. Currentky he is taking vicodone, but that barely touches the pain.

Chrome cobalt partial upper denture [ 7 Answers ]

Can you have a chrome cobalt denture made and fitted after extraction of teeth just don't want nhs 1 and just wondering how long waiting time would be without teeth

Weakened gag reflex [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I have a weakened gag reflex and am having difficulty swallowing and coughing aftgerwards what is my nursing diagnosis

Who sings the reflex? [ 2 Answers ]

Who sings the reflex?

Partial upper denture does not touch palate. Is dentist a quack? [ 4 Answers ]

I have had 4 teeth in front removed, and 1 at the side. My dentist is now trying for the second time to have a denture made. I have many allergies to dental materials, and thus the new denture does not have metal clasps, but does have some type of plastic clasps around my back teeth. The denture...

View more questions Search