Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kcs79 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2013, 11:46 PM
    Help with dental cost
    I recently lost my husband of 34 years. He had no insurance and nothing to fall back on financially. The last 10 years I was a stay at home mom taking care of my children and my husband with a severe back injury unable to work. Money was extremely tight. Going to the dentist was not an option. I did my best to care for my teeth and gums under the circumstances. I brushed and flossed regularly. I was told 30 years ago that a had peridontal disease and my dentists recommended treatments which I refused. The last couple of years I have had such bone loss my teeth are falling out. The teeth are not decayed there is just no bone In my jaw to keep them in my mouth. I was always complimented on my beautiful straight/white teeth. I am having to look for employment and I am so embarrassed and ashamed of my teeth or the lack of. It is keeping me from being gainfully employed. I have no self esteem anymore. I need to get my teeth fixed or at this stage get dentures. I have no money but would be willing to make payment arrangements when I become employed I just can't find a dentist willing to help. Of course I can't speak to any dentist in person only their front office people that offer me no suggestions they are just sorry they can't help. I have contacted dental schools in Dallas and you have to get on a waiting list which you are charged a fee which is not refundable if you are chosen the deposits are applied to your cost. Please does anyone out know where I can get help? I am so desperate
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 18, 2013, 11:52 PM
    I'm surprised you aren't allowed (?) to talk with a dentist. Every dentist I've known for the past 40 years would have talked with you and worked out a plan.

Call the reference desk at your public library and ask this question.

Apr 19, 2013, 12:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I'm surprised you aren't allowed (?) to talk with a dentist. Every dentist I've known for the past 40 years would have talked with you and worked out a plan.

Call the reference desk at your public library and ask this question.
    What I should have said was, no dentist would talk to me on the phone. The office was always willing to set up an appointment to visit with the dentist at his normal office fee plus X-rays. Every single dentist I called payment was due at the time of service or a few offered 18 month financing with approved credit. Either of which was an option. I live in Henderson, Texas a small town. What can I expect from the reference desk at our library?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 19, 2013, 03:44 AM
    I am 66 and am rapidly having problems with just about all my teeth and gums, and rarely went to a dentist. I too am shocked at the costs.

You can buy a fairly reasonable looking thin moldable top teeth set on eBay for about $40. You can't eat while wearing it; it's just for show.

Dental school costs are about half regular cost. You can apply at them for financial hardship by filling out a statement of income.

Apr 19, 2013, 04:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I am 66 and am rapidly having problems with just about all my teeth and gums, and rarely went to a dentist. I too am shocked at the costs.
    I'm curious about taking care of your children for the last 10 years of a 34 year marriage? I can't figure out how that is possible. They weren't 18 and gone by 10 years ago?

You can buy a fairly reasonable looking thin moldable top teeth set on ebay for about $40. You can't eat while wearing it; it's just for show.

Dental school costs are about half regular cost. You can apply at them for financial hardship by filling out a statement of income.
    Lol! No, I was a stay at home mom for the last 10 years, prior to that I worked outside the home in the travel industry. I am 51 I was with my husband since I was 15 yrs old. Have 2 sons one 18yrs and one 22yrs. My husband had quadruple bypass surgery about 3 years ago he got a horrible infection and was in ICU for 4 months. He passed away Jan. 31, 2012. He was not only my husband but my best friend. Tearing up as I type this. I find it difficult to deal with the fact he is gone. I never ever dreamt I would be without him at my age. I struggle to function. If it wasn't for my children, well I can't even go there. I have had such a tough time getting a job. Last Wednesday my landlord gave me 30 day notice to move. The only I have had Is his social security survivors benefit for my youngest son. We will get the final check on that May 8. The hits just keep on coming. I have been told that God does not put more on you then you can bare, I'm really starting to wonder. Thanks for the info re: eBay I will check it out. More than that thanks for the ear!
    current pert

Apr 19, 2013, 04:24 AM
    I am very sorry about you losing your husband.
    I edited out the part about the ages of children but you saw it in a flash!
    The moldable teeth require some teeth behind them to attach to; they are just a veneer.
    You soften them in very hot water, and they can be redone if they don't fit right the first time.

Apr 19, 2013, 04:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I am very sorry about you losing your husband.
    I edited out the part about the ages of children but you saw it in a flash!
    The moldable teeth require some teeth behind them to attach to; they are just a veneer.
    You soften them in very hot water, and they can be redone if they don't fit right the first time.
    That might just work temporarily. I am surprised that I didn't come across those in all my research. The expensive ones were out. The teeth I do have are trying to come out.
    This might be my quick fix. Again, thanks. Have a great day!

Apr 19, 2013, 04:50 AM
    Implants?
    Having bone loss and losing teeth because of the loss. Would it be possible to get implants. Would it depend on the "amount" of bone loss to determine this?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2013, 05:07 AM
    You have to talk to your dentists for that answer... only they can see you and your specific situation to make that call.

Apr 19, 2013, 05:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    You have to talk to your dentists for that answer....only they can see you and your specific situation to make that call.
    No I realize that my dentist would determine if it would be the right call. I just was wondering if that's what it is based on, generally speaking.
    current pert

Apr 19, 2013, 05:15 AM
    Implants are very expensive and are never part of any government, local, dental school, or any other type of freebie or even sliding scale.
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2013, 05:22 AM
    Is the bone loss continuing.. or is it stabilized? If you continue to have bone loss I can see them deciding against it because of the risk of the studs implanted coming loose as loss continues.

Apr 19, 2013, 05:25 AM
    [QUOTE=joypulv;3445875]Implants are very expensive and are never part of any government, local, dental school, or any other type of freebie or even sliding scale.[/
    I know they are very expensive. That is not what I was asking for. My sister is a cardiologist is California. She has a good friend that does cosmetic dentistry and she has told him about me. As a favor to her has offered to help me. I'm not sure I want her to do this for me. I really wanted to know what is involved with implants and what the criteria would be. Is there a lot of work involved over long periods. I would have to travel to Ca. For the work.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2013, 05:27 AM
    Also, not sure what you are looking for to be "employed" but first is often stages, get all the seriously bad ones pulled, I have no teeth, I do own dentures, I wore them the first few months but like about 1/2 of the people I know, I have not worn them more than twice in the last year. Most people don't notice I don't have teeth, and it has not stopped me from getting good job or in having a great business in America.

But this happened because you refused treatment when you needed it, and did not find a way to get a little done when you had more of a choice.

They will need to remove all the bad teeth first, the bone will need to be inspected to see if they can hold the implants.
    If not, they can not do them. The implants are basically drilled into bone and screwed in.

Apr 19, 2013, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Is the bone loss continuing..or is it stabilized? If you continue to have bone loss I can see them deciding against it because of the risk of the studs implanted coming loose as loss continues.
    My guess would be that the loss is continuing to because other teeth are very loose.
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2013, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcs79 View Post
    My guess would be that the loss is continuing to because other teeth are very loose.
    Your bones are the foundation... you can't build a house on ground that is being washed away... and you can't put implants in bone that isn't stabile either.

That holds equally true for hip joint replacements... I know someone that had that problem.

Apr 19, 2013, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Also, not sure what you are looking for to be "employed" but first is often stages, get all the seriously bad ones pulled, I have no teeth, I do own dentures, I wore them the first few months but like about 1/2 of the people I know, I have not worn them more than twice in the last year. Most people don't notice I don't have teeth, and it has not stoped me from getting good job or in having a great business in America.

But this happened because you refused treatment when you needed it, and did not find a way to get a little done when you had more of a choice.

They will need to remove all the bad teeth first, the bone will need to be inspected to see if they can hold the implants.
    If not, they can not do them. The implants are basicly drilled into bone and screwed in.
    Boy you are right. I regret that I did not do what the dentist suggested years ago. I was young and had beautiful teeth. Just really stupid. Curious as to what type of business you are on? I was in the corporate travel with clients like Dell, IBM, and American Express to name a few. I can't imagine what the executives of these major corporations would think having lunch with me having missing teeth. Or me checking into fine hotels this way. It is embarrassing to me. I just am trying to find out what options I have. I am glad you are comfortable not using your dentures. I have a couple friends that only put theirs in when absolutely necessary. Thank you for your response it is appreciated.

Apr 19, 2013, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Also, not sure what you are looking for to be "employed" but first is often stages, get all the seriously bad ones pulled, I have no teeth, I do own dentures, I wore them the first few months but like about 1/2 of the people I know, I have not worn them more than twice in the last year. Most people don't notice I don't have teeth, and it has not stoped me from getting good job or in having a great business in America.

If not, they can not do them. The implants are basicly drilled into bone and screwed in.
    Are implants painful to get. It seems like it would be!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dental surgery cost crown lengthening [ 1 Answers ]

What exactly is a crown lengthening?

What is the cost of a dental partial? [ 4 Answers ]

What's the average cost of a dental partial, one that would replace missing teeth on the top and bottom on both sides?

Dental cost [ 4 Answers ]

I have to have oral surgery what is around about cost

Dental work inexpensive at Dental Schools? [ 1 Answers ]

In the Raleigh-Cary area, do any of the Dental Schools offer inexpensive routine care for seniors on a tight budget? Thank you, Bob

Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again! I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again. June 1 inv20051000 June 12 purch.30061800 June 23 purch. 50073500 June 30 inv. I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the...

View more questions Search