Ask
    HolyRoman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 09:31 PM
    what is a confederate $5.00 bill value 1864
    What is a 1864 $5.00 bill worth? February 17 1864 , Richmond
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 09:34 PM
    It is really worth whatever a collector is willing to pay for it, depending on how badly he wants it.

Try searching eBay and see what others are selling items like this for. :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2007, 12:37 PM
    From my own experience as a collector of coins and paper money, the confederate bills can be worth next to nothing or a lot of money. It depends on their condition and whether they are deemed to be of value because of their rarity and how they were designed artistically.

I would also suggest taking it to a coin shop to determine if it is the real thing or not. There have been a lot of the confederate currency that has been duplicated to look like it is the real thing.

You might find the information on the following sites to be helpful to you. I hope that you do.

Quick Reference Guide to U.S. Paper Money Values

A quote from the site above:

Confederate Currency
    All genuine Confederate currency has some collector value, although most of the 1864 issue notes are very common (an exception being the $500 note, which is common but popular and is worth from $200 to $400 depending on condition). Earlier issues range from common to rare. All issues from 1861 in Montgomery are very valuable, and we suggest consultation with one of our currency experts if you have such a note. Replicas of Confederate currency are quite common, and are often printed on crisp, brown paper that appears antique. Genuine notes are hand-signed and numbered, and the replicas appear to be hand-signed and numbered as well, although close inspection will easily determine that the signatures on replicas are printed in the same ink as on the rest of the bill. Contemporary counterfeits made to circulate at the time of issue have collector value ranging from $10 to $100 or more depending on condition and the specific circumstances of issue.
    The quote below is from the following site:

Confederate States of America Currency - Collection and Sales

Today, the value of these notes is far from worthless. Their prices range from under one hundred dollars for the most common and heavily printed series, to the tens of thousands for the rarest. Most of the heavily printed issues are still available to some extent, while the less common series are getting extremely hard to find. One thing is certain though, all Confederate currency makes as a good investment and has shown to steadily increase in value over the years.
    jas3144 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2013, 12:16 PM
    I came across a 100 dollar bill in the Z series The No. is either 521244 or 54244 in red ink. The paper is very thin.The month a day are in black ink and the last number of the year(1862). On the back of the bill is a red stamp with Interest Paid to 1st January 1864 at Augusta and a blue stamp with the interest paid to 1st of January 1865. Then in pencil 300 days. Is this a real Confederate States of America Bill? I also have E Series 5 dollar bill Richmond Feb.17, 1864 # 27849.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confederate air force/ Commemorative air force [ 5 Answers ]

Are Lefty Gardner and Lloyd Nolan still alive? If so where can I find good information on the start of the Confederate Air force on line. There is a lot of info on the new Commemorative Air force, but very little on the old.

Confederate Paper Money Value [ 14 Answers ]

My Dad came across some Confederate Paper Bills,50 dollar note printed in Richmond VA in 1861, and a 10 dollar note printed in Richmond VA in 1864,in his mother's belongings.He ask me if I knew if or could find out if they were worth anything?

Value of $20 bill? [ 1 Answers ]

can you tell me the value of a 1942 federal reserve twenty dollar bill?

Help with a mobile bill PLEASE [ 3 Answers ]

Found Out My Wife Has Been Having A Affair For Two Years In April. She Stopped Seeing The Guy She Claims But Gone All Secret Again. I Think She Got A Pay As You Go Sim But Don't Know The Number But Know His. Is There Any Way I Can Get A Copy Of His Phone Bill On Orange To See If They Are Still In...

View more questions Search