Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carlins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2013, 05:02 PM
    How to find the main plumbing vent on roof
    I am trying to find out what vent on roof is the main vent to put water in to try clearing out .
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2013, 05:22 PM
    There is no "main vent". Unless wet vented each fixture has its own. Tell us what's stopped up and we'll point you to the correct vent.
    put water in to try clearing out .
    That's not the best way to clear a blocked vent. Rent a snake and snake it. Put out enough snake to reach the base and 15 moor feet. Good luck, Tom
    sergio212003 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Apr 8, 2013, 08:19 PM
    The main vent you are looking for it have to be biger then 3"
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 9, 2013, 01:29 PM
    I disagree! Perhaps 50 years ago there were 4" main vents installed. N0owcode mandates that each fixture have its own vent being 2" with one vent increased to 3". As a rule we install that for the kitchen/washer vent. Tell us what's stopped up and we'll point you to the correct vent. Back to you. Tom
    SRNelson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2013, 02:44 PM
    I may be able to use your suggestion. My kitchen/washer line may be clogged. I'll try plunging the kitchen sink while washer is backing up (from advice from a different site). When using a snake, would I need the plans for my house to know how far down to go? I've never used a snake. Do you have any other advice on using a snake?
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 30, 2013, 09:09 AM
    More details please! Septic tank or city sewer? Does the sink backup when the washer drains? Does the washer back up are the standpipe? Before I can tell you what you snake from and how to do it. I need more information on what's happening. Back to you, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wisconsin plumbing code for roof vent height [ 1 Answers ]

Home inspector said I have to raise the plumbing roof vent pipes. They are 6" above the roof but are no where near the peak. House is 40 years old and they have never been a problem even with heavy snow. Thanks Gary

Clean out of the roof plumbing vent, how to? [ 7 Answers ]

What is the best way to clean out the plumbing roof vent? My toilet flushes too slowly and there is no obstuction in the toited itself causing it. I think it is the roof vent that may be clogged. What is the most advisable and effective method to clean it out? Is putting water from a garden...

Plumbing vent height above sloped roof [ 6 Answers ]

How high should the plumbing vents be above there roof? I have a main vent and a sink vent and both are only 6" high above the roof. The slope is about 4" high for every 12" horizontal. Thanks John G.

Avoiding a new hole in the roof for a plumbing vent [ 1 Answers ]

I added a new addition to my house. In it I want to put a sink and washing machine drain but I don't want to vent them through the roof as it is unsightly and at the front of the house. Can I tie in through the attic to an existing vent that already goes through the roof and still achieve the...

Plumbing vent to roof [ 1 Answers ]

While trying to run a snake down the roof vent, the darn thing came completely out of the spindle and the snake fell down the vent. Now I have 14' of snake down the darn vent and can't see the free end. Is there some obvious tool I can find or rent that will allow me to fish the thing out? ...

View more questions Search