Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Do I pay taxes when I work in a different state that I live in?
    Hi,

I currently live in Ct but work in NY. I know I have to pay ct state income taxes but do I have to pay NY state income tax? My husband lives with me in CT and works in CT. Should we file separately or jointly for state income taxes if I have to pay NY income taxes? Also would his CT salary be taxed on in NY if we did file jointly?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 12:28 PM
    You will have to file CT and NY state returns, and you will file jointly on BOTH returns.

You will pay taxes to NY only on NY-sourced income.

You will pay CT taxes on ALL income, but CT will give you a credit for taxes paid to NY.
    banawari Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2011, 01:47 PM
    If an employee works in New York State and lives in PA which State tax does he pay?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 7, 2011, 03:18 PM
    He pays NY tax on his NY source income (his job). He pays PA tax on all his income (job plus interest, dividends, capital gains, etc), but gets a credit for taxes paid to NY. Bottom line is that he will most likely owe no taxes to PA unless he has other sources of income besides his job.
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 7, 2011, 03:35 PM
    If he pays NY state taxes, then the likelhood that he will pay taxes in Pennsylvania (which has essentially a flat tax) is virually nil.
    Ruth S Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2013, 03:42 PM
    Someone works in both CT and PA at different times during the yr. PA is where they reside (student in CT). Where do they pay taxes on each income and what taxes can be deducted from the other state.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2013, 08:40 PM
    You are a full year resident of PA, and a non-resident of CT (all students are considered non-resident as a matter of law).

Pay the CT taxes, and claim a tax credit on your PA tax return for the CT taxes paid.
    emily226 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2013, 08:08 PM
    I'm a ct resident, worked in ny partially and worked in ct . My w2 forms both say the total amount worked in both states. How should it appear in the w2forms.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 26, 2013, 08:51 PM
    That is wrong.

The CT portion should match Box #1, and the NY portion should reflect the wages earned while being being physically IN New York.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I work in PA and live in MA where do I pay taxes. [ 2 Answers ]

I work in PA and lives in MA which state do I pay taxes in?

I work in NJ but live in NY, how much taxes will I pay? [ 5 Answers ]

I currently work in NJ, but I live in NY... Will I have to pay both state taxez and if so how much? I am married with no children and I make 27,000. I'm also having trouble filling out my W4 form (or is it W2? ). Should I choose "married, but withhold higher rate..." or should I just choose...

Live in NJ but pay NY state taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live in NJ but I work in New York. I took a look at my pay stub and I'm paying Federal and NY state taxes but I am not paying NJ state taxes. Is this correct? I'm concerned that next year I will have to file a NJ state tax return and will not be credited for paying the NY state taxes...

Work and live in one state and paycheck comes from another state [ 2 Answers ]

I receive my paycheck from PA but do not live or work in that state yet. May relocate soon. Should they be deducting PA taxes from my check?

Employer in VA. Work in MA. Live in NH. Whom I should pay taxes. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I work as a contractor in MA on behalf of my employer who is based in VA. I live in NH. I receive pay check from VA based company for the work performed at their client's office in MA. I live in NH. To which state(s) I should pay taxes to?

View more questions Search