Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    law53ut Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2013, 10:03 PM
    Changing a walk-in shower to a tub/shower
    I want to change out a composite shower that is in an enclosure just over 59" wide and 35" deep. I would like a garden type tub but also want to be able to take a shower.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Mar 10, 2013, 06:42 PM
    Simply buy a tub/shower surround. 59" is standard width.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 10, 2013, 07:16 PM
    +
    Not that simple Handyman. He wants a garden tub. I've seen garden tubs from 40XS60 down to 27X57. The trap and drain would have to be repositioned plus perhaps some fraimaing so It's not going to be all that easy, And bye the way. Standard tubs measure 60" long. Regards, Tom
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Mar 10, 2013, 07:36 PM
    When that old shower is taken out, there will be 60" of space available. Everyone I have finished comes out just over 59". I wouldn't lie.
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 10, 2013, 08:08 PM
    Showers generally drain in the center and tubs to the left or right. When ordering left drain, or right drain. If your existing shower is on a slab it will be harder to connect the drain. You'll have floor repair and some framing issues, the water supplies are probably close to where they need to be. Not a project for a first timer; but give it a go. You can post some pictures with your questions as you progress. Standard tub IS 60". Look forward to hearing about your progress. Hope this was helpful.

Mar 10, 2013, 10:27 PM
    Thanks for all the advice. I actually decided I would Call a plumber for a bid. And he told me all the same stuff about having to do some concrete work etc. So I'm going to have it done. I found a 60" tub that's 32 wide and 17.5 deep for $475 and the labor to have it done is going to be around $1500. Plus shower surround.

Mar 12, 2013, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by law53ut View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I actually decided I would Call a plumber for a bid. And he told me all the same stuff about having to do some concrete work etc. So I'm going to have it done. I found a 60" tub that's 32 wide and 17.5 deep for $475 and the labor to have it done is going to be around $1500. Plus shower surround.
    Will be nice to know its done properly without 9 trips to the store. Are you going to finish the surround yourself? That could be a fun, cost saving, and rewarding experience. Tile, stone... it is really not that difficult. Good luck!

Mar 12, 2013, 09:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scott53715 View Post
    Will be nice to know its done properly without 9 trips to the store. Are you going to finish the surround yourself? That could be a fun, cost saving, and rewarding experience. Tile, stone... it is really not that difficult. Good luck!
    I've thought I would do a marble surround in which case I would hire that out too. But tile I think I could do. I'll have to consider it.

Mar 12, 2013, 10:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by law53ut View Post
    I've thought I would do a marble surround in which case I would hire that out too. But tile I think I could do. I'll have to consider it.
    Here's one I did last year. Removed tub and made a shower (opposite). This tile, real marble 12x12's was about $2/foot at Menards. I have a wet saw, but you can rent one cheap. I think there's about 110 pieces. You can do it!!
    Attached Images

Mar 12, 2013, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scott53715 View Post
    Here's one I did last year. Removed tub and made a shower (opposite). This tile, real marble 12x12's was about $2/foot at Menards. I have a wet saw, but you can rent one cheap. I think there's about 110 pieces. You can do it!!!
    very nice!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2013, 05:22 PM
    Looks good, scott. But it appears the shower arm was installed backwards, hee hee. Im assuming you did that to lower the shower head? No harm, but is sure can make it hard to get the shower arm escutcheon to fit tight against the wall when it lines out on the bend of the shower arm, huh..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert Tub/Shower to a walk in shower. [ 4 Answers ]

I need to remove a tub in order to install a walking shower in order to be able to accommodate showering a family member who wheel chair bound. I wish to tile the walls and floor and slope the floor to the drain. What at some of the design features I need to consider? THX so much.

Converting tub/shower to walk in shower [ 24 Answers ]

What do you think is the most inexpensive way to convert our tub to a walk in shower? The opening is 77" (a bench is at the end of a standard size tub). I know I have to break up the porcelain tub. I also need new shower fixtures for the old leakey American Standard faucet. It's for a lake...

Convert shower/tub to walk-in shower in a condo [ 12 Answers ]

I would like to convert my tub to a walk-in shower and intall a small shower in the powder Room that shares the same wall as the existing shower/tub. I need to know if I can plumb This using the same shared vent that the sinks and tub are using? I haven't removed the Tub yet but the plumbing...

Converting tub/shower to walk in shower [ 2 Answers ]

I have removed the one piece fiberglass tub/shower and ordered a swanstone retrofit shower floor. My question is about the drain and overflow setup from the tub. What do I do with that? Do I cut back to where they are connected to the drain pipe? I have read that where this T comes up to 2- 1 1/2"...

Convert tub area to walk in shower II [ 2 Answers ]

I want to convert the tub area to a walk in shower. Since I plan on tiling the floor anyway how difficult/expensive would it be to just tile the whole room AND shower area and leave the drain where it is (sort of making the whole room a shower)? It's a small room with only a toilet and shower...

View more questions Search