Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vincent Montoya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Pumptrol Pressure Regulator adjustment
    How do I adjust the pressure regulator on a Pumptrol to increase the amount of pressure?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Montoya
    How do I adjust the pressure regulator on a Pumptrol to increase the amount of pressure?
    You will have a switch, probably near the pressure tank, which turns the pump on and off. This is where you will adjust the pressure upward. To quote Speedball, "I'm going to assume that you have a "square D pumptrol. First turnoff the power at the breaker box, then pull the cover off the pressure switch and you will see two spring loaded bolts secured with nylon nuts. One tall, one short. To increase the cut in pressure, turn the nut on the tall bolt down. To increase the cut out pressure,(that's the one that will give you more pressure) turn the nut on the short bolt down. This should give you the additional pressure you desire. "
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe
    You will have a switch, probably near the pressure tank, which turns the pump on and off. This is where you will adjust the pressure upward. To quote Speedball, "I'm going to assume that you have a "square D pumptrol. First turnoff the power at the breaker box, then pull the cover off the pressure switch and you will see two spring loaded bolts secured with nylon nuts. One tall, one short. To increase the cut in pressure, turn the nut on the tall bolt down. To increase the cut out pressure,(that's the one that will give you more pressure) turn the nut on the short bolt down. This should give you the additional pressure you desire. "
    Let me put up a image to help. Speedball
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Thanks for the picture. I've not been able to find it on the internet. It's always nice to have your answer as well. Whenever I adjust mine, the directions are inside the cover and I read them but that is not always available.
    lasherdude Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2010, 01:15 AM
    I found a lot of good info on this site, so maybe you all can answere my question, if the homeowner is getting air in her system once in a while, and they are on a well system, what could be the cause of that?
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2010, 02:04 PM

Your pump is likely pumping some air, probably due to the water table dropping during a dry summer. But before we go there, what kind of pressure tank do you have? Is it a galvanized tank, or a bladder type tank (probably blue)?
    tommydg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2013, 07:47 AM
    Please help the pressure is good but I don't know which way the L shape arm needs to be water will come on but when it kicks off it won't come back on
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2013, 05:43 PM
    Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that the water runs for a while, then the pump will not kick back on?
    GOSHOW Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2013, 07:43 AM
    That is exactly what I am having a problem with. I need to trip the little arm a few times on the pressure regulator switch to get the pump back on. When I trip the arm as a do it the pressure on the gauge goes up and then the pump kicks in?
    30-50 pressure switch. Switch and tank have just been replaced. Should I check the pressure on the tank. Should it be 28 lbs. I haven't checked that yet.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 4, 2013, 07:54 AM
    That is exactly what I am having a problem with.
    What, exactly is your problem. Several problems were discussed here.
    Start a new thread and describe your problem. Every bodies problem is different.

Mar 4, 2013, 08:23 AM
    8 times out of 10 when we flush the toilet the pump shuts down and doesn't kick back on until I do as described above. I have to manually trip the lever on the side of the pressure regulator a couple times until the pressure on my gauge comes up, then it catches and takes over the cycle by itself. Doesn't shut down using the sink or the shower just the toilet, so it probably has to do with the small amount of water being used to fill the toilet tank. Although when the shower runs you may get a blast when the pump cycles. Seems like the tank and pump may be out of sinc?
    Pump not picking up at the right pressure?
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2013, 06:08 PM
    1. Check the pressure at the top of the tank. For a 30/50 switch, it should be set to 28#. Do this with the power turned off and pressure drained to zero by opening up a low level faucet.
    2. Where is the pump, above ground or in the well?
    3. Why did you replace the old tank and switch?
    4. When you replaced the switch, did you also replace the little pipe leading to the switch, or at least make sure the existing pipe was clean?
    5. The little lever on the side is a safety measure. If the pressure drops to, in your case, 20#, then the switch "thinks" that the pump is running dry since pressure has gone so far below the 30# cut in point. The switch cuts the pump off at that point. When you pull the lever, you reset the switch.

Mar 5, 2013, 05:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    1. Check the pressure at the top of the tank. For a 30/50 switch, it should be set to 28#. Do this with the power turned off and pressure drained to zero by opening up a low level faucet.
    2. Where is the pump, above ground or in the well?
    3. Why did you replace the old tank and switch?
    4. When you replaced the switch, did you also replace the little pipe leading to the switch, or at least make sure the existing pipe was clean?
    5. The little lever on the side is a safety measure. If the pressure drops to, in your case, 20#, then the switch "thinks" that the pump is running dry since pressure has gone so far below the 30# cutin point. The switch cuts the pump off at that point. When you pull the lever, you reset the switch.
    Thanks much! I bought a good dial pressure gauge and set the tank pressure to #28. Fixed the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Propane Pressure Regulator [ 4 Answers ]

My line from tank to house is too small for a tankless water heater. Is it safe to move the regulator from the tank to the other end of the line where it enters the house? As I read it the pressure from the tank should be around 200 pounds so the pipe should be capable of handling much more...

Pressure regulator failure - caused by water heater? [ 3 Answers ]

I had a plumber from our home warranty company tell me that the pressure regulator that failed wasn't covered because sediment in the hot water heater caused the failure. He didn't even look at the hot water heater which is less than 1 year old. Sediment is the only thing not covered on our...

Pressure regulator on lp gas grill [ 1 Answers ]

The pressure regulator on my Char Broil gas grill vibrates. I can put my hand on it and feel the vibration. This happens after I light the grill and increases in intensity as I turn the flame(s) up.I tried turning everything off ,disconnecting the connection to the LP tank and tapping on the...

Fuel pressure regulator [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1996 GMC sonoma, (4.3, Engine code W) How much of a project is it to change out the fuel pressure regulator ? Do I need to remove the intake manifold to get to it ?

Adjusting Pressure Regulator [ 7 Answers ]

We've had pressure and flow problems for a while. Turn on a faucet it initially has good pressure but slowly tapers off, takes forever to fiill the tub or washer, etc. After contacting the City they came out and said we had 120 psi coming in at the main. They said we probably just needed to...

View more questions Search