Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bytowner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2013, 05:58 AM
    Toilet Supply Valve Problem
    Hi,
    We shut off our toilet supply valve (it's been running), but something seems to have happened when I tried to turn it back on. I turned it counter-clockwise, and immediately heard the water start running again, but then (for some stupid reason) kept turning it. There was an audible *click* and then the water sound stopped. The valve no longer seems to work, or at least the toilet won't fill up. Thoughts?
    Thanks for your help
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2013, 06:35 AM
    In some of the older valves, you could screw off the washer and it blocks the hole or a piece of debris is blocking the ballcock. Shut off the valve (angle stop) , disconnect the line at the toilet -water will not pour out- put the line down into a small bucket and slowly open the stop. If you get no water, replace the stop. If you get water, you have a plugged ballcock. Replace it or disassemble and clean.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 1, 2013, 06:36 AM
    Don't know hat happens but really not worth trying to figure out. Stop by local hardware or big box store and pick up a new one. Only a few dollars.
    Hopefully you have a compression fit type. Just get the correct size. Most common is a 1/2" inlet by 3/8" outlet.

Turn off water to house. Loosen nut around supply tubing, then loosen nut on input pipe and remove. Replace with new valve.

If you have the chrome, hard, type supply tubing, also pick up a new braided flexible supply. Much easier to work with and you won't have any problems with getting a seal around it. Check for needed length before going shopping.

If I had to guess, I would say that you have a piece of solder in the pipe that move to block the input port of the stop valve. The click you heard was it suddenly blocking the valve stopping the water flow.
    Bytowner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2013, 07:11 AM
    Thanks for the responses, I'll investigage further tonight and see if I can figure it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet water supply valve [ 13 Answers ]

I need to replace a toilet water supply valve in a rental unit I own. I took a quick look at it yesterday to determine if I need to buy a threaded or sweat type valve. It looks like it's probably the original valve which goes back to 1970 or so. There's 1/2" copper coming out of the wall but...

Loosening a Toilet Tank Supply Valve. How Do You Do It? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, All! Upstairs toilet tank supply valve is stuck to what it's threaded to on the floor. When trying to turn it with a wrench, things are starting to bend! I've replaced it previously with success. Can't figure out what the problem is... What to do? Thanks!

No water supply valve to toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Live in mobile home which uses a rubber flex tubing to bring water into the home. My toilet doesn't have a watersupply valve connected to such tubing. How would I add a shut off valve to my toilet. Not having a shut off valve connected to the fill line leaves me to go outside to shut off water...

Toilet Water supply valve is dripping. [ 2 Answers ]

Can I repair the valve? Or, do I have to replace it? If repair any advice?

Replacing Water Supply Valve for Toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a water supply valve that supplies water to the toilet. The valve is not made with a removal flex line fitting. Instead it has a galvanized flex tube that is a valve and tube combo (1 piece) with a valve shutoff handle. You can see where I am going with this... I want to change it out...

View more questions Search