Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mstexasladybug Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2013, 01:55 PM
    Tiny almost invisible flying bug biting me non-stop
    I bought a house last June and ever since I've been attacked by a tiny flying bug that I can only see in water and then it just looks like dust or dandruff. At first I thought they were the "no see ums" because they feel just like them. The bite is awful and painful but I don't have any bumps or sores. I've bombed my house 3 times but they just kept coming back! They get in my eyes, nose, ears, hair and pubic hair. I've done everything to try and get rid of them but they just won't go away!! It's literally driving me crazy to the point where I left my home and stayed with a friend. I didn't bring them to my friend's house but later had to rent a room. Now they are here too; I brought them with me in my TV. I've also seen tiny dark bugs that look like little dots or mites. I've search the net for months and can't find out what they are but they crawl all over me constantly! I can't sleep and the only way I can get some relief is to use medicated powder or by spraying diluted alcohol on myself, but they keep crawling and biting. They get into my clothes and I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY LONGER! Can someone please help me? I'm slowly going insane! They're not lice or scabies or delusional. PLEASE HELP ME!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 01:58 PM
    You say you are living with a friend now and brought these things with you in your TV... is your friend experiencing these bugs as well?

Feb 22, 2013, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    You say you are living with a friend now and brought these things with you in your TV....is your friend experiencing these bugs as well?
    No thank God! I've been so worried that I will infest the entire house. I live in a sort of boarding house. So far they are just upstairs where I live. I'm trying to catch some now so I can send them off for identification. My TV was in my bedroom at my house where the bugs were the worst. I've sprayed the TV several times and the dressers and when I whiped out the dressers, I saw tiny dark specks that looked like mites. I've read everything you can read about mites on the net but nothing comes close to this problem.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 02:20 PM
    If the friend isn't infected... do you think it's possible that you are only imagining these bugs?

They aren't fleas... how about bed bugs?

Also, I am unfamiliar with any kind of bug that will bite and give a painful bite but will not leave a mark or a bump of some sort.

Feb 22, 2013, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    If the friend isn't infected....do you think it's possible that you are only imagining these bugs?

They aren't fleas....how about bed bugs?

Also, I am unfamiliar with any kind of bug that will bite and give a painful bite but will not leave a mark or a bump of some sort.
    I knew you'd ask me that! Lol not imagining them; my friends have seen them and felt them when they were at my house. Believe it or not there are tiny no see ums that bite but don't leave marks. They aren't bed bugs or fleas. A plumber suggested that they were drain flies and told me to put lye down the drains which I did but it didn't get rid of them. I read somewhere on the net that there is a tiny bug that is almost invisible and it's mate is dark and sucks blood. I can't remember where it was though. If you're not sure what they are it's OK. It'll drive you crazy trying to figure it out. However, if you are an expert then I welcome any comments or suggestions. I do know they like water because they seem to mirgrate towards water. Hundreds of people are looking for anwers about these bugs and many have had them for years! I'm just determined to find out what they are.

I've only been at my new residence for three weeks. By the way, I sprayed for bed bugs because the spray kills them, fleas, dust mites and other bugs, but I KNOW WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 03:16 PM
    You say you have researched mites. Have you seen this site?
    Dust Mites

Or this one?
    Itch Mites Prevention and Control

Those sites refer to the most common "invisible" bugs; one type actually is microscopic.

Your description does sound like Dust Mites (the first link), but several other environmental factors can also cause skin irritations. Static electricity (from a TV?) can cause a sensation of 'crawling' along your limbs. Mold and fungus spores (that aren't affected by bombs) can cause allergic reactions. Dry skin (that doesn't show any bites or bumps) can itch ferociously.

Check those links, see if they have anything new.
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 22, 2013, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mstexasladybug View Post
    i KNOW WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE!
    Posting a picture would be very difficult, so let me suggest you try to capture some of them on transparent tape. Put the tape on plain white paper so they will contrast with it and take the sample to have it identified.

Good places for identification are:

The Biology Department at a local college or University
    In the U.S. the county/state Department of Agriculture office
    A major Exterminator's office, if they have a microscope.

Good Hunting

Feb 22, 2013, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Posting a picture would be very difficult, so let me suggest you try to capture some of them on transparent tape. Put the tape on plain white paper so they will contrast with it and take the sample to have it identified.

Good places for identification are:

The Biology Department at a local college or University
    In the U.S., the county/state Department of Agriculture office
    A major Exterminator's office, if they have a microscope.

Good Hunting
    Thanks! That's exactly what I'm doing now... trying to catch some on the tape. I'm going to send them to the Georgia Experiment Station for identification. Any suggestions on how to ship them without damaging them?

Feb 22, 2013, 06:45 PM
    You say you have researched mites. Have you seen this site?
    Dust Mites

or this one?
    Itch Mites Prevention and Control

Those sites refer to the most common "invisible" bugs; one type actually is microscopic.

Your description does sound like Dust Mites (the first link), but several other environmental factors can also cause skin irritations. Static electricity (from a TV?) can cause a sensation of 'crawling' along your limbs. Mold and fungus spores (that aren't affected by bombs) can cause allergic reactions. Dry skin (that doesn't show any bites or bumps) can itch ferociously.

Check those links, see if they have anything new.
    Dust Mites? Wouldn't bombs kill them? They come in swarms mainly when I get up and at night. They head right for my face most of the time when I'm trying to sleep. It seems like they can go right through my cover sheet and blanket. I just read about bird mites and that comes close to what I'm experiencing.

I appreciate you giving me those sites and will go check it out. Thanks for your help. God bless.
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 03:48 AM
    Dust Mites?! wouldn't bombs kill them?
    Bombs only kill what they can reach. Inside cabinets, underneath things, and covered items are seldom if ever touched by the "fog."

Feb 23, 2013, 11:38 AM
    Wow! Didn't know that! Last night I got my magnifying glass out and started looking at them and they have a shiney body, almost like glitter. This is too weird! They were everywhere and there were millions of them. Where and how are they breeding? Do you have any clue as to what they are? I think it's some kind of mite.
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 12:12 PM
    wow! didn't know that! last night i got my magnifying glass out and started looking at them and they have a shiney body, almost like glitter. this is too weird! they were everywhere and there were millions of them. where and how are they breeding? do you have any clue as to what they are? i think it's some kind of mite.
    Do they look anything like these?
    Attached Images

Feb 23, 2013, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catsmine View Post
    do they look anything like these?
    Yes!!

Feb 23, 2013, 01:52 PM
    Do they look anything like these?
    But most are smaller.

Feb 23, 2013, 01:55 PM
    but most are smaller.
    Please tell me what they are the suspense is killing me!!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2013, 01:57 PM
    yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If the size is referenced against a penny, they certainly aren't invisible.
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 02:00 PM
    but most are smaller.
    Then those are dust mites. Check the link I put up about them. It sounds like you moved into an infested house. Perhaps the previous owner will help defray the cost of getting rid of them, as it will likely take a professional deep cleaning service to get them. They will need to vacuum out the ductwork, replace the insulation in the attic/crawlspace, and even clean the machinery INSIDE the refrigerator. Then you can look into changing the environment by dehumidifying and sealing out as much as possible.

Feb 23, 2013, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Most of the are! When they land on you you can't see them! But when I look at them closely with a magnifying glass on a dark sheet, I see tiny glittery creatures. The larger ones can be seen, but most of them are extremely tiny and very hard to see.
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 23, 2013, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    That's one of the larger examples. There are many species. The other pic was taken through a 50x dissecting microscope.

Feb 23, 2013, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catsmine View Post
    that's one of the larger examples. There are many species. The other pic was taken through a 50x dissecting microscope.
    Catsmine, what are they?? And how can I get rid of them?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Invisible biting bug [ 11 Answers ]

Its true... after delivering a bed to a filthy customers house then moving my own furniture in the same truck I became infested. It has been several years since. I ignored the issue. These dam things jump fly crawl and bite. I feel them all the time anywhere I am. I've hugged people then watched...

Invisible flying, biting, and itching bugs into everything in my home. What is this? [ 42 Answers ]

I need your help in reference to an invisible flying parasite of some kind in my home that is literally killing me by the minute. This invisible parasite is biting and itching me everywhere on the body but it doesn't leave any rashes, bumps, sores, or anything on the skin. However, they do attack...

How to erdicate invisible biting flying insects [ 2 Answers ]

I Don't know the answer?

Non-biting almost invisible tiny flyers [ 2 Answers ]

I have some type of tiny flying insect that flys super fast. They constantly fly, running into my skin anywhere it is bare,face, mouth, eyes, ears arms, legs etc. By the time you reach to rub where it is flying against you, it is already on another part of you. They will not leave me alone. They...

View more questions Search