Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    az35 Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

Mar 23, 2007, 03:39 PM
    3 Days Late & Negative HPT
    Hello everyone... Since the beginning of this year, I have been Trying to conceive #3. I am 35 years old. The last day of my period was Feb 21 and have regular cycles (28 day). I have been using OPK to determine when I ovulate and BD on the most fertile days. About 5 days ago I felt my period was coming (cramping & very sore breasts), it lasted about 4 days... then just went away. Now I have slightly sore breasts and no signs of AF. I have taken HPT's (early pregnancy test from internet & early first response) and they were negative. Since I am 3 days late and have negative HPTs... should I just assume that the tests are correct and that I am not pregnant? Or should I wait a little longer and test again?. Any help and/or advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Mar 23, 2007, 08:08 PM
    You need to wait and test again! I just found out on Tuesday that I am pregnant (6 weeks tomorrow). It took up until I was 10 days late before I got a positive, and on first response it was faint, but clearly visible. Then went to the doctor's and their test was very faint. Anyway, it can take up to 7-10 days past missed period before you get a positive. If you are only 3 days late I would wait 3-4 days and test again. If that's still negative test again in 3 days. If that is still negative, you can either wait it out and retest, or go to your doctor for a blood test. Good luck! Hope it comes out positive!

Mar 24, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Now its day 4, and no signs of AF (very strange)... took an early response test this morning and it is still negative... hmmmm... Looks as if I'm going to have to wait it out:(... Its so hard

Mar 24, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Just try to find something to keep you occupied for the next week or so. I thought I would go crazy, but I managed to stay sane. You can do it! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Let us know what you find out.

It helped me to set a day that I would allow myself to test again, say... you are only allowed to test again on Friday. That might help.

Mar 25, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Thanks "automansgirl"... your support is greatly appreciated. Congratulations to you... I wish you a good healthy pregnancy:)
    Lacey19 Posts: 193, Reputation: 9

Mar 25, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Wait till you are a week late... then re-test

Mar 25, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Well today I am 5 days late and I just started to see very, very little brown discharge when I wipe. So I am assuming that AF is on its way (even though all my symptoms have gone away), because I don't think implantation can occur so late :( I am sad but I know there's always next month:)

Mar 25, 2007, 11:18 AM
    You don't know that it is your period for sure yet just wait and see. Have you ever been this late before??

Mar 25, 2007, 11:26 AM
    No I haven't been this late before... thats why it is so strange to me. I did have some symptoms of my period coming but they all went away and I don't have any symptoms now... I feel as if my period has ended (very strange huh?). My breasts were really sore before but it all went away... so Im really confused right now. If I am going to get my period how soon should it start?

Mar 25, 2007, 11:32 AM
    I'm 7 weeks and 2days pregnant n to this day I get period like pains its really weird but its how the body works when you are pregnant. Have you had any bleed at all?

Mar 25, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Congrats on your pregnancy!! I have two kids and when I was pregnant I did have period like pains/cramping in my first trimester but it went away after awhile. I believe your body is adapting to the new pregnancy/changes.

As for my brown discharge... it just started today... and its very little... only when I wipe. Its getting a little pink now with some mucus... so I really don't know what to think... But I am assuming that it is AF trying to sneak up on me. What do you think?

Mar 25, 2007, 02:43 PM
    It can be implantation bleeding, or just spotting. Some women get implatation bleeding and think it is their period. If you are pregnant, some spotting can be normal in the beginning. Just keep an eye on it. If you just continue to spot without getting an actual period test again in a few days. If you get a positive result make sure to tell your doctor about the spotting.

Mar 25, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Is it possible to get implantation spotting after my period is due? It seems kind of late for that doesn't it? I will defintely keep an eye on it and see what happens...

Mar 25, 2007, 09:26 PM
    I suppose it could be. Implantation usually occurs 7-10 days after ovulation. If the discharge was brown it is a sign of old blood (pink/red current). I would guess that the implantation could have occurred causing slight bleeding, but it didn't show for a bit. I'm not an expert on this one, being that I'm not a doctor, and I haven't had any bleeding/spotting since my last period Feb 10. I wish I could give you the answer you are wanting, but right now all you can do is wait and try not to stress. Good luck. What day are you testing again?

Mar 25, 2007, 10:27 PM
    I will wait to see what happens... I will probably retest tomorrow or Tuesday. It looks as if the spotting has gone away now. Now I am really confused... this has never happened before.

Mar 27, 2007, 08:58 AM
    AF came today:(... Well at least I know now. I am scheduled for a HSG on Monday to make sure my tubes are not blocked. Now I can just look forward to trying next month:) Thanks for all the support.

Mar 27, 2007, 09:18 AM
    So sorry af came! That's so sad. I hope your appointment goes well. Why would your tubes be blocked? Do you have endometriosis? Let us know what happens and have fun trying! Also, try not to stress when it comes time for af. This can very easily delay af from coming making it more stressful.

Mar 27, 2007, 10:22 AM
    I don't have endometriosis, as far as I know. I have regular periods so hopefully Im ovulating. As far as the test goes, I guess my doc. Is just getting a headstart on the infertility tests. I will try not to stress over this Trying to conceive thing. Thanks again for the support it means a lot to me
    nana22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 02:28 PM
    Hi today made me three day past due and I am kind of scare because this is the first time this happened... and I`m new to this..
    threetwo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 09:38 PM
    I too and 4 days late, well I guess since it is past midnight I am now 5 days late. 3 negative pregnancy test. I've had horrible headaches, sick to my stomach and threw up twice today. Nothing major but just a little bit. Last HPT was earlier this evening. I have an appt on the 17th. I suppose I will wait and take another test on Sunday or Monday. I know you hcg doubles every day, so the longer you wait to take a HPT will give you more accurate results! I feel like I am pregnant but then again I don't. I have never been late before though. I've read up on so many user comment pages and it seems as though a lot of people take many HPT's all negative and then find out they were pregnant the whole time. Also, I see a lot of people that got negative tests with super super late periods and they weren't pregnant at all. Very, very frustrating! Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

25 Days Late, took 2 PT and Negative, could they be wrong? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I've been married a little over 2 years but I've been sexually active with my husband for 4 years, we have never used birth control and I've always had a good period, until this month. My period was due on Feb24th.But didn't come. I waited a while to take the test, finally after the 12th...

4 days late, negative HPT, dark brown discharge [ 8 Answers ]

Hi My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for three months. I went off the patch (ortho-evra) after completing a full cycle in mid December (i.e. I did not put a new patch on after mestruating). I had normal periods Jan 13 and Feb 14, each lasting 4-5 days, which was consistent with...

15 Days Late & HPT Are Negative [ 6 Answers ]

My period was due on Feb 21 and I have not started my period yet. I am now 15 days past due and all of the HPT have been negative. I had a qualitative HCG done on Feb. 20 (one day before my period) and it was negative as well. The only "real" symptoms I have are my breast are slightly sore and as...

7 days late but test was negative! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Im Lacey I'm 19 and been with my partner for the past 15 months. We have never used any protection mainly because I was under the thought I couldn't have children. Jus under 2 years before I met my partner I had a misscarriage I was very young, I just turned 16. I have had 3 stomach...

I am 5 days late, no symptoms, negative HPT. [ 2 Answers ]

HI, I am on CD 36 right now, with 28 to 31 day cycles. I have never been this late. The thing is though is that Im not experiencing any symptoms besides some cramping and tiredness. Well, actually my breasts started hurting a little today, and some waves of nausea here and there. I took a...

View more questions Search