Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reaper718 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2012, 06:34 AM
    Prevent my puppy from pooping in his crate
    So I have a 4 month old english bulldog. I got him from a pet store who got him from a puppy mill (didnt know about any of this stuff at the time). Anyway, he has always been peeing and pooping in sleeping area since he was a baby. When we got him at 11 weeks old for the first week he was fine. He really is good when it comes to using the wee wee pad. Now, whenever we crate him to leave or if we just leave the room for a second he starts barking and going nuts. If he is crated and going nuts he poo's everywhere and plays in it. Every single day he will poo on the wee wee pad and then some time later he will poo in his crate... if we can't get this to stop we are going to have to give him away.. I have a job and can't keep cleaning everything crap off my dog and walls at 3AM in the monring. And before you bash me saying its my fault, he poos plenty of times during the day but he insists on saving a little to go in his crate because he doesn't whine or anything he just poops and then plays in it. It has to stop. Please help
    lidia eviany Posts: 2, Reputation: -2

Mar 21, 2012, 07:22 AM
    Have you try to scold your puppy?maybe to hit him a little bit while you catch he's pooing or peeing.. then show him where you want him to poo. I have a dog too,he just pee 2 times in a day and poo once.. he has never pee at house anymore.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 08:24 AM
    I'm a cat person (never had a dog), but there are a number of very smart dog people who offer great advice on this site. Please check back over the next day or two for some valuable help with your situation.

I do know that using pee pads tells the dog he can pee and poo on anything soft.

By the way, if your dog makes a mistake, NEVER hit your dog or rub his nose in it.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 10:19 AM
    Ditto, don't hit him or rub his nose in it, this is not the way to go.
    First, he is still young and can only hold it for just so long.
    A few answers that will give members a good idea of what you have done so far.
    When do you feed him?
    When is he taken out for potty breaks?
    How long of a stretch is he in his crate?
    How do you react when he gets it right?
    Do you take him out during the night?
    My dogs were fairly easily trained, all but one, and we had a similar problem.
    He eventually got it, so don't give up on him just yet.
    I will say one thing about the pee pads, personally I don't like them.
    I know plenty of people who use them for their toy breeds, but you are going to have a sizable dog-the bigger the dog, (naturally) the bigger the puddle.
    reaper718 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2012, 12:11 PM
    When do you feed him? Everyday 6:45AM.. 1:30PM and 6:00PM
    When is he taken out for potty breaks? He goes to the wee wee pad whenever he wants. We try to take him out side but he won't budge and hell only stay on the front stoop. He refuses to relieve himself outside.

How long of a stretch is he in his crate? 6 hours tops
    How do you react when he gets it right? I go nuts with praise and treats
    Do you take him out during the night? Yes but he relieves himself at around 9pm and again around 1:30... he poops in the crate sometime in the middle of the nigth and doesn't whime or bark or anything so its hard to notice when we are all sleeping.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 01:51 PM
    Lady Sam is there a chance it is separation anxiety? I noticed they posted about the dog going nuts when put in the kennel. Please don't follow the first answer as that will only give you a dog that listens because they are scared of you and not because the respect you as the pack leader.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2012, 02:46 PM
    Getting a puppy from a puppy store is going to make house training a dog 100 times harder than a normal puppy. As you have found out, he was raised in filth. This is very hard to break since he has learned that pottying where he sleeps is not a big deal.

Him throwing a fit in his crate when you leave him is a form of separation anxiety. This is difficult disorder to get over. Some dogs never grow out of this problem and it can become worse. Separation anxiety is not something that can be cured, you just learn to deal with it and find things for him to do... such as obedience.

The first step I would take is to throw away the potty pads. Do you want your dog to continue to potty inside? Or do you want him to eventually go outside? Using potty pads confuse dogs. The way they see it, is that its OK to potty over here, but not over there. I know the potty pads come scented.. but dogs in training do not understand that scent... especially puppy mill dogs. If you are in an apartment, they make grass pods for dogs that need to potty inside. Its synthetic grass that has a drain that drains urine onto the absorble pads. You would treat this potty pod the same way you would treat any house training program..

Also, this dog is only a puppy. Don't expect him to be house trained until at least 6 months.. or maybe more. Even if he is doing really good, don't expect him to be house trained and trustworthy of leaving him alone.

What type of cleaner are you using? Bleach and other house hold cleansers don't work on the feces or urine smell. You need to get an enzyme based cleaner. I really like Nature's Miracle.. but there are tons to choose from.

To help you with these problems, I would suggest obedience classes. The trainers might have good ideas to house train a puppy mill puppy. It may be difficult, but its not impossible. You just need patience. Obedience will also help you and your dog bond, putting your dog below you in the pecking order and so on. Obedience is just good all around for a happy dog.

If you just don't have the time this pup needs, I would suggest very strongly to contact a breed specific rescue. Taking a dog to the shelter is only going to make his problems worse. Rescues have the time to work with him and can place him into a home that is fully aware of what he is all about. If you contact a rescue asking for help, they may have some tips on how to handle your dog. Different breeds train differently... You just might not be communicating right with him.

As others have said, don't ever punish your puppy for soiling the crate or himself or your house. He doesn't understand it for one.. and two, harsh scolding will only make him scared of you and he will start to potty different rooms when you're not around. And you really don't want that to happen. Just clean him up, clean up his mess.. and move on. House training takes time.. and your puppy is probably going to take more time just because of his history.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 03:10 PM
    Lucky to the rescue, as I was typing my computer froze and I lost everything.
    I would only add one thing.
    Has he been properly dewormed or checked for worms?
    If the stools are soft then I know you are looking at a real mess to clean up every night.
    If you are not sure it may be a good thing to check.
    If he is dancing in it, I realize it may be hard to tell.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2012, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lidia eviany View Post
    have you try to scold your puppy?maybe to hit him a little bit while you catch he's pooing or peeing..then show him where you want him to poo. i have a dog too,he just pee 2 times in a day and poo once..he has never pee at house anymore.

You are proud that your dog pees twice a day and poos once? You think that's normal or a goal to be proud of?

Is this the same dog that's sick? https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/p...ch-645042.html

On a completely side note if you recommend hitting the puppy a little bit when you catch him pooing or peeing, is that how you were toilet trained? Did your parents hit you a little bit when you were a baby (and your dog is a baby) and you peed or pooed?
    ajm1988 Posts: 1, Reputation: -1

Jan 20, 2013, 08:47 PM
    Normally I wouldn't agree with smacking a puppy while trainging or any animal for that matter, but sometimes you just need to. I had to start because my puppy got VERY dirty after a couple weeks of having him. I don't BEAT him but I do tap on him. Almost so lightly that he doesn't wean and I do not hurt him. He needs to know who's boss and that it is NOT okay to do dirty in the house or his kennel. I give him a little tap, then bring him where HE is suppose to do pee/poop, then I reward him when he comes in from peeing/pooping. If you don't do anything just clean up after him/her, they will not learn and think it is okay to pee/poop wherever they want and expect YOU to clean it every time. Also try NOT cleaning his crate/kennel for a full day and he/she won't like that. I realize some puppies are just to young and doesn't realize or cannot hold it but if your puppyis getting older, start while you can or your doomed. Good luck!
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2013, 10:00 AM
    I find "advice" that a puppy/dog should live in his own filth to teach him/her a lesson to be stomach turning. And as far as smacking a dog because "you just have to" - what else do are you driven to do?

Disgusting post.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 21, 2013, 10:04 AM
    Wouldn't that be considered animal abuse or neglect if you did that. At least I hope it would be. I hope if this person is not a troll that someone close to her calls the SPCA or like organization and her dog are taken from her. Her dogs must fear her and are not happy and healthy... as dogs do not poop in their den.
    Jillianbluiz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2013, 07:40 PM
    Whoa... "dogs do not poop in their den"? I'm on the floor playing with my new baby, a 12 week old English Bull. I made sure to get her while I'm out of work. Been home 6 days WITH her, taking her out, giving treats for success, scolding only with a displeased voice for mistakes. For the past two days I have left once each day for about 45 minutes (once just in the other room to shower), each time she had peed and pooped 2-3 times before I crated her. AND EACH time she not only pooped in her "den" but spread it all over the bottom, herself and the metal sides. I have house-trained 4 dogs previously and have not encountered this but I can tell you IT HAPPENS so don't jump the gal dealing with it. I'm not sure what to do with my baby, I can't stomach putting her nose in it or leaving it there. But don't say what doesn't happen just because YOU haven't experienced it.
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2013, 11:06 AM
    When you don't quote (cut and paste) I have no idea who you are addressing.

I don't understand the tone of your post - perhaps the words "usually" should have been added but, at any rate, I don't understand your upset unless you're one person with two screen names.

I read about your "baby" twice before I realized I was referred to the dog board and you are asking about a dog.

If your dog at 12 weeks has these bowel/bladder issues regarding frequency I assume you've spoken to the Vet - ?
    Dogs Expert

Feb 13, 2013, 12:25 PM
    Judy it was me she was talking to. The post right above hers.
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2013, 12:35 PM
    Hi Mogrann - I believe this is one person with two names. We'll see.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 14, 2013, 01:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jillianbluiz View Post
    Whoa..."dogs do not poop in their den"? I'm on the floor playing with my new baby, a 12 wk old English Bull. I made sure to get her while I'm out of work. Been home 6 days WITH her, taking her out, giving treats for success, scolding only with a displeased voice for mistakes. For the past two days I have left once each day for about 45 minutes (once just in the other room to shower), each time she had peed and pooped 2-3 times before I crated her. AND EACH time she not only pooped in her "den" but spread it all over the bottom, herself and the metal sides. I have house-trained 4 dogs previously and have not encountered this but I can tell you IT HAPPENS so don't jump the gal dealing with it. I'm not sure what to do with my baby, I can't stomach putting her nose in it or leaving it there. But don't say what doesn't happen just because YOU haven't experienced it.
    In the case of the OP (original poster) there's a very good reason her dog pees and poos in its crate. If you think about it, you'll understand. This puppy was a pet store puppy, a puppymill puppy. In pet stores and puppymills dogs spend day and night crated, or caged. They have no choice but to pee and poo in their crate.

It's not natural for a dog to do this, but when given no choice, that's what they learn. Just like a dog can learn to live with humans, follow their rules, a dog can learn to against every instinct it has when it's forced to.

So my question to you would be this. Did you get your dog from a pet store?

Most dogs that have issues with peeing and pooing in a crate, were taught from a young age to do so, likely before you even laid eyes on the dog.

In the wild a puppy is taught from the very first day not to pee in the den. The mother dog will take her pups out one at a time to potty. It's actually very easy when they're tiny, because mom stimulates them to poo by licking their bum. So she can determine fairly well when the pup will poo. If an accident occurs the mother immediately takes the puppy outside, midstream or midpoo, so it learns where to go. By the time the puppy is a few days old, it's already trained not to pee or poo in the den.

That's why crates are so great, they go with a dogs natural instinct. The thing is, human beings screw up that natural instinct. If a puppy is allowed to pee or poo where it sleeps, even from birth, then that's what it will learn. Even a puppy bought from a breeder can have issue if the breeder doesn't know how how to potty train.

Our latest puppy, now almost a year old, came from a farm. Farm dogs are very much allowed to follow their instincts. The pups had a heated shed, and that's where they slept every night. Mom only had to pick them up, push on the dog door, take them out and let them pee. The area around the shed was a "watch your step" sort of area, but inside the shed, not one pile of poop, nothing.

Rascal, our pup, was wonderful in the crate from minute one, never had one single accident in it. In the house yes, but never in the crate. He would hold it until he was let out. Once he was let out you better run outside, because he had to go, but he would hold it until out of the crate. He was 8 weeks old when we brought him home.

It really depends on training, and that training starts from the minute they're born.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crate Pooping Puppy [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old Sheltie that I got two weeks ago from the breeder. For two whole weeks, this puppy was a breeze, and refused to go potty in her kennel. All of a sudden, she decided to start pooping in her kennel. And then basically bathe herself in her own feces two nights in a row. It...

Puppy Pooping in Crate [ 2 Answers ]

I have a maltipoo puppy that is 14 weeks old. We got her at 10 weeks. Both my husband and I work ( I am a nurse and onlyl work 3 days a week, while he works 5) Anytime we put our puppy in her crate she poops... A LOT and then mushes is all around in her crate. The days that I work we are both gone...

Puppy pooping in her crate! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old black lab! She has been a real joy to train and play with and I love her dearly! When I got her at 7 weeks, I immediately started crate training her. She did great! But within the last 2 weeks she's suddenly started to regress to pooping at night in her crate. This is something...

Puppy pooping in crate [ 1 Answers ]

My 7 mth old beagle poops in her crate every day while I'm at work. My grandmother goes over and lets her out twice during the day so she is only left for 4hrs at the most without being taken out to go to the bathroom. She's been to the vet and recently fixed, but the problen continues. Please...

Puppy Pooping in Crate [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have an 8month old dog who continues to poop in his crate. He pooped in my room and then I put him in the crate this morning and he pooped again. He does this once a month. He regresses to popping in the crate. What can this be? He does for 3 days and stops...

View more questions Search