Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monique82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 12:57 PM
    What are the consequences of claiming someone who is not a dependent on your taxes?
    A friend told me that when filing taxes online a person can enter any 9 numbers as a social security number and say that number is connected to their dependent. He said at the time of filing the IRS can't tell if that social security number is valid; it isn't until the IRS is going through everyone's paperwork that the "mistake" may be found. So, my question is if someone did decide to do that what is the consequence if the IRS finds out? Is it jail time or just a huge fine? Im curious because it sounds false; I mean if that's the case wouldn't everyone be doing it?
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Doing such a thing is clearly a crime. It is called tax fraud. Jail time is clearly a possiblily. If you have some reasonable explanation, then perhaps you just made a mistake and it wasn't a crime. Monetary penalties are likely. The IRS computers do cross-check social security numbers.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by monique82
    A friend told me that when filing taxes online a person can enter in any 9 numbers as a social security number and say that number is connected to their dependent. He said at the time of filing the IRS can't tell if that social security number is valid; it isn't until the IRS is going through everyone's paperwork that the "mistake" may be found. So, my question is if someone did decide to do that what is the consequence if the IRS finds out? Is it jail time or just a huge fine? Im curious because it sounds false; I mean if that's the case wouldn't everyone be doing it?
    Don't do this. You will certainly get into trouble. IRS computers have a huge database, and they will find this out.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 04:43 PM
    Many do do that and find themselves being prosecuted and paying a fine. A short term gain is not worth the long term results of being caught. And whoever does this WILL be caught. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Agreed.
    woodrow1984 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2013, 08:57 PM
    Sure there is! I get free lunches from the land all the time. Grubs,bison,fish and Llamma's are abundent in my land. So, therefore ergo and to wit, there are such things as free lunch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming a dependent [ 7 Answers ]

I live in Ohio and am a lesbian with a fiancé whom I have been supporting for the last 8 months, can I claim her as a dependent? And if I am able to claim her as a dependent would I get more money back that way or if we filed separately? Domestic partnership is available for gays in toledo now do...

Claiming a dependent [ 4 Answers ]

We were divorced almost 2 years ago and I have custody of our only child under 18. I claimed him on my taxes in 2005 and again in 2006. My ex claims because she pays child support that she should have been able to claim him in 2006. In our decree it doesn't state it either way. When I had my taxes...

Claiming as Dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, As a follow-up to the earlier question, my parents also stayed with me during 2006 for a total for 180 days, can I still claim them as dependents. I have heard that the rule is 183 days, but I was wondering if 180 may be acceptable. My other question is how do I contact you Atlanta expert...

Claiming spouse on H4 as dependent [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been in USA Since 2001 and have been filing my taxes as Single. I got married in May 2006. My wife joined me in USA from last week of November -- with a H4 visa. No SSN -- I understood that I need to apply for a ITIN which is only possible through mail. ---->

Claiming dependent [ 1 Answers ]

I've had joint custody of my daughter for 7 yrs. I am wondering if I can claim her on my taxes every other year. I have called the child support agency here and just get the run around they could give me an answer. But it seemed to be OK with the mother. Thank for any help

View more questions Search