Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stannen Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Wood Furnace and Fan Control Circuitry
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a house with an old Jensen wood furnace in the basement (I think Jensen was bought out by Ashley at some point). The system is connected to the oil furnace plenum and has a draft fan for the fire box, a distribution fan for pushing the warm air into the ductwork, a thermostat in the living area, and various sensors and other bits to manage when the fans turn on and off. I would love to use this thing but over the years the fan control wiring has been hacked at so badly that there is no hope of making it right again. The relays and limit switches have been disconnected and the fans had plugs put on them so they could be connected directly to 120VAC. I don't dare to even try using it the way it sits now!

I have a pretty good understanding of AC and DC circuits but I have never worked on a system like this. Is there anyone that has access to a basic schematic for this kind of system or could help me sort out how it should be wired? Or possibly point me towards a web site or someone that could help out (I'm in the Boston, MA area)? I can get part numbers if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2007, 12:11 PM
    If your oil furnace is an older one, you may be able to pattern the wood stove wiring like it. Treat the draft blower relay like the relays for the oil pump and ignition. The white wire from the thermostat will go to the coil of the draft fan relay. That circuit needs to be wired through the upper limit switch to shut the draft off if it over heats. Wire the lower limit switch to the fan relay so when the draft warms up the plumen, the blower starts and runs until it cools off.

That is how the older furnaces were wired up, and should work on your wood stove. The older stuff is all 24 volt AC for the controls.

Jan 30, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Thanks for the response - this makes sense as far as operation. The heat sensors and limit switches are all built into an old Honeywell unit so I guess I'll need to try and chase down its wiring diagram.

Thanks again.
    dlvestal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 04:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stannen
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a house with an old Jensen wood furnace in the basement (I think Jensen was bought out by Ashley at some point). The system is connected to the oil furnace plenum and has a draft fan for the fire box, a distribution fan for pushing the warm air into the ductwork, a thermostat in the living area, and various sensors and other bits to manage when the fans turn on and off. I would love to use this thing but over the years the fan control wiring has been hacked at so badly that there is no hope of making it right again. The relays and limit switches have been disconnected and the fans had plugs put on them so they could be connected directly to 120VAC. I don't dare to even try using it the way it sits now!

I have a pretty good understanding of AC and DC circuits but I have never worked on a system like this. Is there anyone that has access to a basic schematic for this kind of system or could help me sort out how it should be wired? Or possibly point me towards a web site or someone that could help out (I'm in the Boston, MA area)? I can get part numbers if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
    I have the model jensen furnace. It's 20 years old and still running with the only replacemen partbeing the distribution blower. I have the original manual that has a wiring diagram. If I was given an address I could maila copy to the person in need.
    Thanks

Feb 1, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stannen
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
    Hi dlvestal,

Thank you for the offer - that is very generous. If you could please email me directly I could give you my address. My email is stannen @ gmail<dot>com

Thanks again.
    thinkertoy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 07:21 AM
    I also need this diagram for the jensen wood furnace. Is there anywhere I could find this diagram as well?
    TerryF Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 07:43 PM
    Jensen was bought by Ashley but US Stove has bought up them. The old Jensen were not transferred and the diagrams are hard to come by but I have located a lot of the parts in question
    TerryF Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 07:50 PM
    I just purchased a older Jensen wood furnace that matches the one in my basement. Trouble is the one I bought only has the forced air fan and nothing else. My furnace in the basement works perfect I have it set to come on when thermostat calls for heat which is set 3 degrees before the propane comes on so as long as I keep a fire going the propane furnace never comes on. I would like to setup the second one the same way so I need the wiring kit and blower fan. Does anyone know where I can find this kit. Thanks Terry
    Pelletstovegirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2013, 07:00 AM
    Could you please send me the schematic? I would really appreciate it.
    e-mail to [email protected], mark it Jensen furnace. Thank you in advance.
    iroczb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2013, 04:37 PM
    I have a jenson wood stove need help on the blower wiring blower burnt out and I got but no wiring on it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rheem Furnace Fan Control Center Transformer [ 2 Answers ]

I was replacing my transformer/fan control center for a Rheem Furnace (central Heat/air) and did not label the wires. I am now very confused... I have two sets of contact wires coming out of the relay, one set "no" and the other "nc". And the Primary wires on the transformer... How do I connect...

Outdoor Wood Furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I have several questions regarding an outdoor wood furnace. I know there is a "special" paint used on these, that is "normal" to throw off a smell. As well as some "light oils" used in construction. We are having the problem that the house is getting smokey, and that smell is strong. How long...

Wood add-on furnace [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently installed a wood add-on furnace to my oil furnace. The way it works is a trunk line comes from oil furnace plenum(heat) to bottom of wood add-on, then all duct work for house is connected to plenum on wood add-on. The problem I'm having is getting the wiring for wood add-on...

Wood furnace [ 2 Answers ]

We have a wood furnace that blows heat to gas furnace. When fan/limit switches reaches temp blower kicks on blowing heat in.Worked fine last winter now blower will not kick in when limit is reached.Any idea why?

View more questions Search