Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2012, 03:39 PM
    Guava Tree Disease
    Wonder what this disease is on the Guava tree see picture. Looks like white spots?
    Attached Images

gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Oct 14, 2012, 12:12 AM
    You might have whiteflies. I can't actually see any whitefly nymphs or adults in the picture, but the white flocking is evidence. Whitefly nymphs secrete a white wax that get all over. http://tinyurl.com/8vrg8cf
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2012, 02:54 AM
    Appreciated so much
    sofarsogood Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2012, 09:09 AM
    Not a disease, an infestation. Looks like cottony-cushiony scale (anyway, some kind of mealy bug or unarmored scale). Almost any insecticide will work if applied to underside of leaves. Organic could be Neem Oil extract. Least toxic non-organic is probably Bayer Total Insect Control (a synthetic pyrethrin). Most (including those mentioned) are non-systemic, meaning they only kill what they touch, or what crawls across them. Any non-movers (what you see) will be killed if you hit them with spray. Babies that haven't crawled away while insecticide is active will not. You will have to repeat a few times, at perhaps 2 week intervals. to knock infestation down to tolerable level.

If you don't want to spray with chemicals, you might use a strong water stream at bottom of leaves, frequently (but has little chance of actual control).
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2012, 10:48 AM
    Thanks. Have used pure Castile Soap water
    imafan26 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2013, 01:38 PM
    I agree that is the typical look for whitefles. Insecticidal soap or horticultural oils will work, but need to be reapplied frequently. If the tree is small and the infestations aren't that bad you can blast them off with a jet of water. Purple ladybugs eat whiteflies, but they have a predator-prey cycle so whiteflies are usually bad every two years.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2013, 03:05 PM
    Wonderful information

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

After a large maple tree limb was removed to the tree, the area is rotting. Is it OK [ 3 Answers ]

We have a large beautiful maple tree in the center of our back yard. Several years ago the local power came through and cut one of the large limbs close to the power line clear to the tree itself. Since then in the years since, the spot has rotted and is not receding into the tree mostly because...

Effect of polythene wrapping and praffin wax coating on storage life of guava fruit [ 2 Answers ]

What is the effect of polythene wrapping and praffin wax coating on storage life of guava fruit

Crabapple tree disease -what can I do [ 1 Answers ]

I have a crabapple tree that is at least 20 years old... this year I had a major attack of the scab disease... my leaves have gotten brownish to black spots and almost all the leaves and fruit have fallen off... I know I can't stop was has occurred but is there anything I can do now to prevent this...

Dying or disease crabapple tree [ 1 Answers ]

Tree is very old... beautiful green leafs in spring. Leafs are slowly turning yellow, with black spots. Last summer tree dropped all leaves by August. Tree is hollow in many main branches... growing spurts off major trunk. Trimmed back old dead branches... not sure if tree is dying or...

Guava seeds [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get guava seeds in melbourne?? Help me

View more questions Search