Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alpell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2010, 10:13 AM
    Will I lose unemployment if I worked one day at a job and quit?
    I'm on unemployment in Illinois, vigilantly looking for a job... I had an interview on Friday and they hired me on the spot. Started work on Monday, got ready to go to work on Tuesday and my car is dead, transmission is gone!! Do I lose my unemployment for that one day?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 10:25 AM

Don't you have to report any earnings while on unemployment ? Just report the earnings for that one day, so they can deduct it from your unemployment payment.
    alpell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2010, 10:43 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    I'm just worried... I had every intention of keeping the job, and now I've quit it because of my car situation after 1 day... I'm not sure how unemployment will respond to that? Can't afford to lose my benefits!
    Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 02:43 PM

As long as you report the earnings for just that one day, alpell, I don't think you will lose your benefits. Here in Ontario, a person can work, and collect, as long as they report what they have earned on their reporting form, so UIC can adjust the unemployment payment they send.

I hope it works that way where you are too.

Tick
    jayylee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2012, 12:26 AM
    What happened when you did this? I'm currently facing the same situation! I haven't officially started my job, but I did fill out the paperwork. They told me they'd give me my start date in two weeks, but since then my car has broken down. I'm afraid that if I tell them I can't take the job after all I will lose my unemployment (since it might be considered "quitting"--I don't know), but if I do take the job, I'll end up getting fired anyway for not having reliable transportation. What should I do?
    Expert

Dec 27, 2012, 04:19 AM
    Why can't you get into works some other way if you want the job bad enough, jayylee?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I'd quit my job due to my health would I still be eligible for unemployment [ 3 Answers ]

I Have Been Struggling For Months Now With Some Health Issues That Are Interfearing With My Ability To Do My Job And I Work In A Daycare So You Have To Be On Your Toes At All Times And I Just Can't Do It Anymore But I Just Can't Up And Quit Without An Income I Wished I Could But Its Not Possible To...

2003 philips PROJECTION TV worked one day then the next day it works but no picture? [ 1 Answers ]

My television was working fine one day, then we turned it on again it has power, but there is no screen or sound. Where you turn it on at on the front of the TV, the red flashes then you can't turn it off, you have to unplug it to cut it off.

Where do I collect unemployment? (worked from home in CA for DC company) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I worked for my company for 5 years. It's based out of DC, and I worked in the DC office for 3 years... then I relocated to Boston for 1 year and worked out of my home there... then I moved to CA about a year ago and also have been working from home. I got laid off a week ago and I can't...

View more questions Search