Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blue_mandm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2012, 03:29 PM
    New Belly Button Piercing how to keep from getting infected?
    Im 16 I got my belly button pierced without my parents knowing about three weeks ago by a profession with two of my friends that happen to be twins. We had to buy our own barbells before we got them pierced and we all got the same except mine is a golden color. Because of the type of barbells we bought the bigger ball doesn’t unscrew on any of ours so we had to get them pierced with the barbell upside down leaving the bigger ball on top. Around three days after I got it done it started to become red around both ends. I had been cleaning it with dove soap witch I later found out was wrong for the piercing. The twins piercings were fine and still look normal. They have been using Ivory soap. I had used the dove soap for about two weeks cleaning it every day at least twice a day. The twins gave me the Ivory soap to use and I saw improvements right away, most of the red had gone. But Im still worried about it. It is itchy some times but that’s a sign of heeling and the puss that comes out is the correct color. But it is still red all around it and it is becoming crusty and my skin is starting to stick to the barbell. When I ice the area it helps unstick and get rid of the crusting the piercing has its ups and downs. Some times it bleeds while I clean it. Also I have red bumps under the barbell. All of these have been going on for a the last two weeks. I have the Ivory Soap still, and I have Claire’s Cleaning Solution, And Hydrogen Peroxide. Let me know If you have any suggestions. Or know what is going on. I have done a lot of research on this but I still don’t know what would be best.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2012, 03:56 PM
    First, you did not go to a very good "professional" because if they were responsible they would not pierce a minor without parental consent, which is required by law. When you find someone who's willing to do the wrong thing for you, they are probably not someone you should associate with.

Second, I wonder what other laws they broke - like sanitation standards, for example. They should have given you very clear, written instructions on caring for the piercing site, so that's a second strike against this "professional" in my view. An infection is the least of my concerns about this though - I'd also be concerned about potential transmission of HIV or hepatitis and if I were your parents you'd be getting tested for both for the next year.

There is no "right color" to puss. Puss is an accumulation of white blood cells. White blood cells' job is to fight infection. They collect and congeal into puss only when infection is present. Same with the redness and inflammation - infection. So, you clearly have an infection. This can potentially become very serious and you need antibiotics. It's not likely to become life threatening, but it could heal badly and look terrible and potentially COULD become more serious depending on the type of infection you have. So, the gig is up - you need to tell your parents so they can take you to the doctor and get you some antibiotics.

Third, I've never heard of using bar soap to clean a piercing wound. I've heard of rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide but never soap and water. Usually keeping the site dry is recommended. So, you better get some professional advice on this. My knowledge is a few years old so don't rely on it - ask a doctor.

Your disrespect of your parents in not telling them about this, and getting it done illegally without their consent is a huge violation of their trust and a slap in the face as regards their feelings. I hope you come clean and make it right, and act more mature than you have so far in this situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does an infected belly button piercing look like [ 2 Answers ]

I've had my belly button pierced for nearly 2 months now and at the moment I'm in so much pain from my belly button its very pusy and crusty and red around and I'm unable to move it to clean it.any suggestions of better ways to clean it or help it heal?

Belly button piercing infected or not t [ 0 Answers ]

So I've had my belly buttin pierced for about 2 months now.. I was doing good on the cleaning of 2wice a day then I stopped, I do it once and awhile now, but I still wash it in the shower everyday. But I woke up this morning and the piercing hurts when touched hurts to move it and burns to clean.....

How Do I Know If My Belly Button Piercing Is Infected? [ 1 Answers ]

It Has A Bumb On The Side Of It.

What do I do if my belly button piercing is infected? [ 3 Answers ]

My belly button is just red, and very very sore. Will the sea salt and water work to clean it?

What to do if your belly button piercing is infected? [ 0 Answers ]

HELP! I have had my belly button pierced for a bit over a month, I cleaned it using H2o ocean spray because they told me to. Maybe I did overuse it.. I used it 2 times a day but I sprayed too much always. It is still not healed and seems to be starting to get a little bit infected, so I started...

View more questions Search