Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ConfusedAnne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2012, 05:31 PM
    Why did the power go out in one room without tripping breaker then come back on?
    I had my electric heater and heated blanket plugged in and on at the same time. The heater was plugged directly into the wall. The heated blanket was plugged into an extension cord (not heavy duty) that I had plugged into the wall as well. When I plugged my computer into the extension cord, the power in my room went out. Not just that particular outlet, but both outlets in the room. All of the power in my room went out. I went to look at the circuit breaker, but it was normal. None of the switches were tripped. I turned them all off and on anyway, but that made no difference. About five minutes later, the power came back on in my room on its own. My heater has been turned off ever since and the extension cord has been unplugged. The power has not gone off since then. Why is this? What's going on? Did I simply have too many high-powered objects plugged into the same area at the same time? Or is something else going on here?
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Dec 14, 2012, 08:52 PM
    You could have a loose connection somewhere, or there could be another problem that others smarter than myself might address. To answer part of your question, you should not plug anything in an electric socket that already has a high-powered appliance, such as a heater, (probably 1200-1500 watts) in it if possible. Do you know if these receptacles are on a 15 or 20 amp circuit?
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Dec 16, 2012, 07:46 AM
    Check the circuit breaker again, turn it off, then on again and tell us what you observe.

Touch the front of the breaker, is it warm? What brand circuit breaker is it? Is it very old?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2012, 07:58 AM
    Stop using these appliances and the receptacle that served these units. There is most likely a loose conneaction at this receptacle or one upstream in the circuit. This loose connection is heating up and opening the circuit. The power came back after this loose connection cooled.

This loose connection will not get better on its own and can be a fire hazard.

Please hire a qualified electrician to come in and troubleshoot the problem. This is not going to be solved by simply turning your circuit breakers on and off.
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Dec 16, 2012, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Stop using these appliances and the receptacle that served these units. There is most likely a loose conneaction at this receptacle or one upstream in the circuit. This loose connection is heating up and opening the circuit. The power came back after this loose connection cooled.

This loose connection will not get better on its own and can be a fire hazard.

Please hire a qualified electrician to come in and troubleshoot the problem. This is not going to be solved by simply turning your circuit breakers on and off.
    Would help troubleshooting it though, eliminate the breaker as the problem.
    ConfusedAnne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2012, 07:01 PM
    I decided to leave the electricity alone completely and had nothing plugged into the wall until I could get the problem solved. Today I had somebody come in and take a look at it. The outlet has been replaced completely and now the electricity is back in that room. Everything seems to be back to normal now. Thank you all for your answers! I definitely know I should come back here if I have any other problems.
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Dec 29, 2012, 08:05 PM
    Glad to hear it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two rooms on same breaker,lost power to one room,other room works [ 6 Answers ]

I replaced the outlets in my spare bedroom, I turned the breaker off before doing it, (the breaker controls both spare and master bedrooms), when I turned the breaker back on, the power in the master bedroom is not working.

Lost power to one room, and one wall, but other things on breaker work [ 11 Answers ]

We have a mobile home, and we've lost power to a bedroom we used as a media room, and along one wall in our living room. Our 2 yr old daughter was flipping the light switch, she flipped it 3 or 4 times by the time I got to her, she'd flipped it again (yes she was doing it fast!) and then everything...

A/c power breaker tripping [ 2 Answers ]

I have dual a/c units to control the upstairs and downstairs of my residence. I have isolated my problem of no cold air to the breaker panel. I need help identifying what the possible reasons may be for the breaker tripping. There are two breakers (one coming directly from the a/c units with a...

View more questions Search