Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rxn1770 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 07:29 PM
    Burning plastic smell when water is running - please help
    Hello,

I posted a question earlier about smell from hot water, well it is in the cold water too and it definitely is NOT a sulfur/rotten eggs smell. The smell is a distictive burnt plastic smell and now is with hot and cold water.

Please help! Thanks in advance,
    Rachel
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2006, 08:07 PM
    If your water is supplied by a pump, I would check its wiring. What sort of a smell? Overloaded wiring will produce a sharp, acid smell from the chlorine in the vinyl insulation. Or do you mean the more common smell from burning a styrofoam cup? The burned hair like smell of burning nylon?
    rxn1770 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rxn1770
    Hello,

I posted a question earlier about smell from hot water, well it is in the cold water too and it definitely is NOT a sulfur/rotten eggs smell. The smell is a distictive burnt plastic smell and now is with hot and cold water.

Rachel
    The smell is definitely chemical/plastic in nature. I do not have a water pump.
    bharr07 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 12:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rxn1770
    Hello,

Rachel
    Rachel are you getting your hot water from a storage tank , run your hot water and fill a clear glass container about a half gallon , see if thres a plastic type debri floating around and a more than normal white of light blue color to the water , if your getting your hot water from an indirect storage tank off an oil fired hot water boiler , its possible the dip tube melted , and you now have a plastic film and particles contaminating your entire domestic water supply, let me know what the water looks like , run your water in full hot , fill the clear glass vessal and let me know what you find ,
    DanielleWarth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2012, 01:12 PM
    Please tell me that you found out the cause!
    I have searched all over and you are the only other person that I have found with the same problem as me.
    My water is clear but smells distinctly of burning plastic. It's absolutely unbearable.
    We just drilled a new well (1000 ft) and put in a new pressure tank. My husband thought it might be the pressure tank and that it may go away in time but in the meantime I can't drink the water.
    Any advice?
    boots1413 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2013, 08:19 PM
    Has anybody determined the cause of the burning plastic smell when water is running? I had this problem begin about 2 days ago, and can't find anyone who knows what's going on. It's happening regardless if the hot or cold water is on, and seems to be getting worse. Please let me know if you have a solution!

Thanks so much!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad smell from shower and tub when hot water is running [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I know that others have posted similar questions. The smell is becoming worse and I can swear that my eyes burn and I cough when I am in the bathroom area. When the shower or tub hot water is running, there is a burnt foul smell in the air. I have also smelled a rotten egg smell in the...

Burning smell [ 1 Answers ]

I woke up this morning to a burning smell coming from heat vents. I can't see anything burning and I changed out the filter already. It smells like plastic.

Burning Smell Associated with Light Switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have one light switch that frequently produces a burning smell when turned off (although the light plate is never warm to the touch). The light switch is not particularly old, but wasn't replaced yesterday either. I have had this problem in apartments I have lived in in the past, although this...

Whirlpool dryer drum won't turn, with burning smell [ 1 Answers ]

My Whirlpool dryer drum won't turn, after I set the setting and close the door, and there is a strong burning smell at that time. It is only about 2 1/2 yrs old. Any ideas? Thanks, Cindy

Burning smell in Hampton Bay [ 2 Answers ]

Just bought a new house that has Hampton Bay ceiling fans/lights in several rooms. Each one gets a hot or burning smell after they've been on awhile. Is there a break-in period for these things or did the builder wire something wrong, or do the 60W bulbs need to be 40W? :confused: A little...

View more questions Search