Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angieb73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Dying bleached blonde hair back to dark brown
    I have bleached blonde hair and I am wanting to dye it back to my natural color. I can't afford to go to the salon so what do you suggest. Also, my I have tried to go to a dark blonde, but I think it has a green tint to it. Also I need suggestions on getting my hair healthy again after getting it back brown.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Nov 5, 2007, 09:13 PM
    When you bleached your hair blonde it took away all the pigments, including the red tones. And if you apply a darker shade over bleached blonde hair, you will end up with a green cast in your hair. A red-base hair color can counteract the green cast. Therefore, you will need to use a reddish hair color to neutralize the green, then apply you're the dark brown color. Also, I recommend doing a deep conditioning treatment once a week until your hair is healthy again.
    ERMU00422 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 03:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyLady View Post
    When you bleached your hair blonde it took away all the pigments, including the red tones. And if you apply a darker shade over bleached blonde hair, you will end up with a green cast in your hair. A red-base hair color can counteract the green cast. Therefore, you will need to use a reddish hair color to neutralize the green, then apply your the dark brown color. Also, I recommend doing a deep conditioning treatment once a week until your hair is healthy again.

I have the same situation and I have been frantically searching the internet for the past week. When I bleached my hair, it turned out an orangy yellow color (grosss). Would that mean my hair would still have pigment in it? If you can answer.. Thankyouuuuuuu :)
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 04:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ERMU00422 View Post
    I have the same situation and I have been frantically searching the internet for the past week. When I bleached my hair, it turned out an orangy yellow color (grosss). Would that mean my hair would still have pigment in it?
    It would have been better if you had put this question in its own thread.

Orange is red + yellow. There is some pigment in it -- but probably not a lot. Hair turns orange then yellow and finally pale yellow as you bleach it. You have to tone it to get the final blonde color. However, if you don't get it light enough, there won't be enough pigment in the toner to make it a believable blonde.

In your case, you simply didn't enough of the pigment out. That's pretty common. It's also common for people to panic and say "Aaaargh! My hair looks awful!", and they throw brown on it... and it throws a greenish tinge.

The solution is to re-bleach your hair. It's not uncommon for people to have to bleach twice to get to pale yellow. You probably won't have to bleach it very much. You need to bleach to yellow for medium and dark blondes; pale yellow (inside of a banana peel) for light blondes. I've offered this advice to many, many people, and in every case, if they follow my suggestion, they're happy.
    Plaigh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2011, 10:52 PM
    My hair is thick, medium dark brown & I have frosted (bleached) my hair for years & years and had issues with it looking "green" whenever I would dye it back to it's natural color so this is what I did recently.

Get a protein filler (this can be found at sally's beauty supply for around $3 to 6$) Protein filler is water thin. Putting it in a spray bottle worked best for me. Protein fillers fill your hairs pores making it easier for the dye to cling to the hair strand. Also leaving your hair feel healthier and thicker.

Now, On damp hair put the protein filler on focusing on grays & damaged hair but don't. Out the other hair. Leave it on for 20 minutes (DO NOT RINSE!) Then apply hair dye as the directions say. You may need to repeat this process twice maybe three times to get it to the color you aim for. After you rinse the hair dye out put on a good conditioner and let set for at least 5 minutes then rinse. If after your hair dries and you still notice green repeat the next day. Dry, UN-conditioned hair dyes best as dye tends to cling better to the hair.

I have to say that adding a protein filler made all the difference in the world for me. My hair was so over processed from being bleached that I didn't think I would ever see my hair back to it's normal color.

Trimming the ends helped a lot too.

My hair feels so healthy now. I'll never NOT dye my hair without using a protein filler again!
    strawhead Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2011, 09:45 PM
    My hair is "bleached out" blond. After a few years of discontinuing hair salons due to affordability I started doing my own roots with a box color that ended up turning my natural looking blond hair to the palest bleached out near white blond. After about 6 months about half my hair fell out( mostly the bottom half) what little is left of my hair now shineless, straw like and over straight!

A few weeks ago I bought a sandy blond tone in a box but after dying it.. it looked the same.. no color. I still can't afford my hairdresser and wonder what exactly I can buy in either the drug store or beauty salon store to dye back to my natural darkest brown color back without going bald! Thanks,,
    alissaj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2012, 08:58 AM
    Well first you need to do a deep conditioning on your hair and in your situation with the money you can just put conditioner in your hair and leave it in for fifteen min or you can put mayionaise in your hair this will smell feel and very gross but once you put it all in your hair but either a cap on or just put a plastic grocery bag oer your head and tie it. Leave it in for about 30 min then wash it out. You can also put beer in your hair just dupm it on and do the same as the mayionaise but leave it in forfifteen min. Also avoid blowdrying straightning or anything heat wise because this damages your fryed hair even more. Do the conditioning 3 times a week for two weeks then two for two weeks then once a week until you notice your hair to feel more smooth. Try not to die your hair for a month I know that is going to be very irratating with your brown roots and all but in your condition it will be worth it.
    chelseyerin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 01:07 AM
    For all bleach blondes with green or yellow color issues, I use shimmer lights found in most beauty product stores. It takes any copper tones out of your hair so that the color is more believable. Its Pretty cheap. Less than 20$ for a huge salon sized bottle. For blondes going brown, use any normal cheap hair dye found in walmart/kmart/ the grocerystore. They usually always have a red pigment in cheap dyes so the color won't seem green. However going back to brown is never that easy. You may have to color your hair biweekly because of fade issues. When the color (including the red pigmented color) starts to wash out your hair WILL look green. Be persistent. Keeping hair well nourished and moisturized is always necessary to keep any color more permanent. I use Infusium 24 leave in treatment along with a keratin sheen treatment after washing my hair normally.

HINT* washing hair in cold water and staying away from heat products are the best way to keep color in your hair, including letting your hair air dry! Inconvenient I know, but results are results.
    Katicity Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2012, 02:33 PM
    1. Frost and Tip - Avoid the roots, put all over with two fingers and plastic gloves. Put the conditioner in the box on your hair like it says so you can work on it safely some more-which you might have to if your hair doesn't look great with just the bleach. If you can see the color developing you want and wash the bleach off just in the right time-have at it.
    2. Pick a blond shade price doesn't matter, put over this the next day.
    3. Get a blond root touch up - streak this to the roots in places you will part your hair, but make kind of like stripes, not 100 percent of each section of root, but leave some hair untouched and leave 1/2, 1 and 1 and 2/3 inches space from the scalp alternating with completely to the scalp for a sunstreaked effect.
    4. If this isn't ideal, get medium ash, medium golden or medium reddish brown and create sun streaks around the sides of the face and two or three favorite parts. Take just one or two teaspoons of each solution (colorant and developer) into a plastic disposable cup and stir with a plastic or disposable spoon as it says on the box, but don't snip the applicator or put the colorant into the applicator because you want to save it for another day. Apply the mixture from the cup with one or two q-tips held together.
    5. Play around with each step, even wait a few days between each step here to see how you like it. Caps look cute with the new color hanging out the bottom. Or, divide the hair in half horizontally and make two ponytails, horizontally about at the top of your ears for one pony tail and the rest of the hair in the second ponytail, just put the ponytails where you like, in the back either close together or at a distance and then wrap them a little bit together. Each ponytail could be the folded kind where you don't pull the hair all the way through, or not. Put some pins in the center between the two ponytails and secure a long tail or hair from each one. This helps to give a multi tonal look to the hair.
    6. Mix the rest of the brown color and apply it to all of your hair while working it through with your fingers. Leave on forty. Rinse. Makes frosty brown to brown to brownish auburn a pretty color. This costs 6$, plus $6, plus 3-4 $, plus 3-4$, a total of four inexpensive products, about $18.
    shwamkellyyx3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2012, 07:51 PM
    (Background) Okay so . First off . I was a natural blonde as a child then faded to a beautiful light brown/ dirty blonde. My mother told me not to bleach it but I did it anyway ( one of my biggest mistakes) I bleached it white with hydrogen perxiode for about 2 years . I never saw damage to it until this summer . My hair literally felt like hay . I ended up having to chop 11 inches of my beautiful platinum hair . I then had a hideos blonde bob with brown roots...

Your answer : I went to the hairdresser and the lady refused to dye it because it'd turn "gray. Blue. Green" it wouldn't "be even" and all this other bull. Bottom line was I didn't care what they said, I just wanted my roots gone . So what did I do? Bought a box . I bought a red tint because MORONs told me it'd turn green without a red tint...

It turned out beautiful and even . My only complaint would be its too much of a red tint for me but that's because people told me to get a red tint .

DO NOT GET A RED TINT JUST GET A NEUTRAL COLOR! Take my word. My hair was WHITE !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I dye over bleached blonde hair back to dark brown and it not fade [ 11 Answers ]

About 3 weeks ago I decided I wanted blonde highlights. My wife used Loreal Color Rays bleach blonde kit. And put in a lot of streaks. My natural color hair is dark brown. Of course you can imagine how it turned out. The streaks turned out yellowy orange and looked horrible. I waited a week...

Dying my dark brown hair light brown. [ 5 Answers ]

I'd like some advice on dying my dark brown hair light brown. I dyed it myself few years ago a light ash brown and it turned red :eek: After that I had my hair stylist put blonde high lights in it to cover gray. Now that the highlights aren't covering the gray, I'd like to dye my hair light brown....

Can I re dye my hair from dark brown to a lighter brown or darker blonde? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is my dilemma, please help!! I wanted to do a hair color change, so I had my hair 2 toned. I told her I wanted to be dark on the bottom and blond on top so she did half the bottom dark brown and mixed sandy blond with another color for the top and it came out very brassy/red did not look...

Dying bleached blonde hair dark - but what to do with the roots? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I've naturally got light brown hair and have had it professionally dyed blonde for a year. I now want to change the colour to a chesnut brown at home. My problem is that I have quite a lot of root regrowth so when I use a home kit do I colour the roots first and then the rest, or the...

From Dark Blonde to Dark Brown back to Light Brown [ 1 Answers ]

I recently lightened my already color-treated brown hair to a dark blonde color. I decided it looked unnatural and decided to dye it back brown. I picked up a light brown dye from the local beauty supply store and it came out way darker than I wanted or expected with a hint of green, and now I...

View more questions Search