Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shawrebecca Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Knockout Plug
    My Uncle replaced my garbage disposal and forgot to remove the knockout plug. I tried to knock it with a screwdriver a couple of times but it didn't budge. Can I remove it without having to take the whole thing apart? If I knock it out, is it okay for it to stay in there. I have read some instructions saying to remove it and others that don't mention removing it at all.

Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 06:34 PM
    You must remove the hose from the dishwasher or air gap. You do have a dishwasher don't you. You don't remove the plug if you don't have a dishwasher.

Stick a screwdriver in the inlet pipe to the disposal and smack it with a hammer. You don't have to remove the disposal. Remove the plug (from top side) with something like a pair of needle nose pliers or ice tongs. You must remove it if you knock it out. It's a metal plug about the size of a quarter, will ruin disposal if disposal is run with plug inside.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 06:43 PM
    I agree with Harold. Don't be afraid to give the plug a good whack with the hammer. It may also be a plastic plug. If you are certain that the power is off and you have a small enough hand, you can reach in and grab the knocked out plug with your fingers.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 27, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Hey harold, I'm also a lefty. Leftys are always right.
    shawrebecca Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Thanks everyone, I will give it a try!
    rangerwife123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2012, 03:50 PM
    My knock out went through, but I can't seem to find it, will it cause damage?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 04:20 PM
    If it is metal, definitely. If the disposal has been installed, turn it on and then off as quickly as you can. If it is in the disposal you will hear it. If you used a sharp pointed instrument to knock it out you may have gone through it rather than knocking it out if it is plastic. Stick a screw driver in tube and feel around. Shine flashlight in tube.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 04:31 PM
    Yeah, that knockout has a tendency to get stuck under the blades of the disposal grinder so as Hkstroud suggested, get a flashlight and shine it into the disposal... should be able to find the knockout quickly that way.

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 25, 2012, 04:48 PM
    Great advice from all the experts, If you can't locate the plug under the cutter blades you'll find it stuck in between the table and the wall. Good luck, Tom
    caty912 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2012, 11:23 AM
    Thank you so much! I've been having the same problem with a house that I've been renting. The landlord went as far to to replace the diswasher instead of repairing the old one. When I ran the first load I didn't have the heart to tell them that this one wouldn't drain either. Sure enough, I just knocked out the knockout plug about 15 minutes ago and this dishwasher is working like a champ. Now I get to rub in my boyfriend's face when he gets home :)
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2012, 11:53 AM
    Hi caty and welcome to The Plumbing Page at AskMeHelpDesk.com
    Kudos and congratulations girl! Good job. You did run a high loop air gap.(see image) on the discharge hose didn't you? Rub your boyfriends nose in that when he gets home. Good luck, bTom
    Attached Images

caty912 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2012, 12:30 PM
    Thank you! I disconnected the hose coming from the dishwasher that was attached to the disposal, knocked out the plug, and reattached the hose and tightened the clamp. Do I need to attach the hose to the top of the cabinet or brace it somehow, or is it just like that in the picture?
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2012, 12:50 PM
    You attach the hose up as high as you can. Secure it with a 1 1/2 pipe strap or anything that will keep it secure. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What if my toilet flange does not have a knockout? [ 3 Answers ]

My toilet flange (installed in an unfinished basement with a cement slab) seems to be just a solid surface. It does not appear to have any sort of knockout. It looks in every other way like a toilet flange, complete with the collar, holes for the bolts, etc. But instead of an indicated area to...

12-3 wiring from gfi plug to outlet to plug in a 110v pool pump [ 5 Answers ]

Need to verify proper wiring for above 110v pool pump.

Black soot on the spark plug,is it the plug. [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn mower plug has black soot on it, what could be the cause of the plug fouling out? It is a 6.0 B&S motor, also is there a certain gap for the plug and if so what is it? This problem just recently came up after 3 years of use and I don't understand what happen.:confused:

Knockout holes [ 2 Answers ]

I've discovered that I have a plastic 2-gang switch box with a knockout that has been punched out but no wire coming through. Is there any remedy short of replacing the box and rewiring the switches?

View more questions Search