Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kitten1957 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 04:45 AM
    Im wondering if I lost the blood clot in my tooth extraction.
    ... from a few days ago... or is it normal to have a hole where the tooth was extracted no a few days later? I had a top right molar extracted a few days ago and last night after swishing with a stronger salt water rinse ( I just found out) than I shouldn't, I noticed the hole where my tooth was feels deeper( and looks like it) than just a few minutes prior to rinsing. Could I have washed to blood clot from 3 days ago away? Or could it be okay? ( normal)If I were to LOOK at the area... what should I expect to SEE? I am having much neck/head pain ( still) as it most likely aggravated an already sore med issue in those places. Please help! Any place online to VIEW pics of this??
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 04:50 AM

For one thing, Kitten, you have to leave the cavity alone, stop poking at it, stop looking at it and it will heal up and you will have no more worries. What did you do, poke your finger in it to see how it was doing ? Not a good idea, it is an open wound for now until your body heals it naturally. And it will. If you normally clot easily (from a cut or whatever) then you will clot easily in this cavity.

Let it be and heal.

Tick
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2009, 06:09 AM
    Kitten,
    It is normal to have a hole where the tooth was removed. The blood clot does eventually disappear and it will take some time for the area to close. In the mean time do as tickle said, keep your fingers out of the hole! Keep rinsing gently with warm salt water. If you are having pain you should go back to see the dentist who removed the tooth.
    rabbo05 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 09:25 AM
    Please help. I am wondering does the blood clot wash away on its own? I am 12 days after tooth extraction and my gums and hole are not closed yet. I don't see nothing no white tissue or nothing in the hole after washing with salt water. Was wondering since the hole heals from bottom up I am not in any risk of dry socket correct?? As long as I rinse with salt water? ALL ANSWERS GREATLY APPRECIATED THANK YOU ALL!
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2009, 08:16 PM
    After 12 days, there IS NO blood clot! You are well on the way in the healing process. If you are worried, go to the dentist!
    rabbo05 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2009, 11:33 PM
    I just want to know the hole is big you know... and food keeps getting stuck and jammed in there.. and I keep chewing on one side.. and it is making my jaw bones hurt.. is there any possible way the dentist can give me something or put something for the gums to close faster... I know everybody heals at different rates... but I was wondering it is now my 14th day po extraction... am I out of dry socket land?? And I was wondering by when the gum will close up and fill with bone? I am not a smoker or anthing like that... I will await your reply.. u been a superb help greatly appreciated I will refer you to others flossie have a wonderful day
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2009, 05:09 AM
    The socket will close in good time. Some times it takes MONTHS for it to close completely. Like I mentioned before, to put your mind at ease, go back and see the dentist who took the tooth out. I'm sure he will reassure you that everything is healing nicely.
    mullingirl3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2012, 02:04 PM
    What color is the blood clot after tooth extraction suppose to be?
    Expert

May 17, 2012, 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mullingirl3 View Post
    What color is the blood clot after tooth extraction suppose to be?
    Red
    CBIRTH21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2012, 03:42 PM
    Hello all ! I am on my 12th day after LOWER MOLAR extraction. I am a smoker but I did "quit" for 4 whole days after it was removed. I swear I had night terrors about the dreadful "DRY SOCKET" ! I am noticing my clot is basically gone, but my hole is WIDE OPEN!! As a smoker you could imagine my anxiety! I did contact my dentist and she said all is well and it seems to be healing nicely. She said no worries, but if it would make me feel better to continue salt water rinses as "I" deemed needed ! I have no pain, and had next to no pain after it was pulled. I have a ZERO pain tolerance and was afraid my mind would tell me it hurt when it didn't. ALL is good ! It is kind of scarey to at one point try so hard to keep the clot , then it starts shrinking, and you see a hole ! Trama! But I hope my post helps! I have a pretty good size hole and no pain. Rinsing with salt water even 12 days later seems to help "ME" feel better, gives me a piece of mind !
    A Random Phrase Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2012, 06:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbo05 View Post
    I just want to know the hole is big you know... And food keeps getting stuck and jammed in there.. And I keep chewing on one side.. And it is making my jaw bones hurt.. Is there any possible way the dentist can give me something or put something for the gums to close faster... I know everybody heals at different rates... But I was wondering it is now my 14th day po extraction ... Am I out of dry socket land? And I was wondering by when the gum will close up and fill with bone? I am not a smoker or anthing like that... I will await your reply.. You been a superb help greatly appreciated I will refer you to others flossie have a wonderful day
    Rabbo, I had a tooth pulled three weeks ago (21 days) that still has a pretty big hole (food gets stuck in it and so forth). I went to the dentist today and he looked at my previous sites before he pulled the teeth he pulled today. My holes are healing fine, including that deep one.

It takes a long time for the bone to fill in. The flesh fills in first. At 14 days post, I would think you are totally and completely out of danger of a dry socket.

Kitten, I would think there's no problem. I had 7 teeth extracted the first time, 8 the next. That next time, I had a hole that was deep, but none of the others were. (See my message to Rabbo in this post.) I didn't think to ask the dentist why that hole was huge and the others weren't, so I'm no help as to "why".
    thandi1000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2012, 01:50 PM
    Thanks CBIRTH21

You totally brought me back from the brink of freak-out-ville!! I've been trolling the net trying to find someone in my similar situation, as I too am a smoker and had my wisdoms out two weeks ago. I feel no pain but the whole there was freaking me out... phew
    GIVE_ME_KANDI Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2012, 04:43 AM
    I'm totally freaking out what colour is the clot suppose to be? A dark red?
    Cause that's what I'm seeing and I literally can't sleep, I'm scared of getting dry socket.
    Please give me some peace of mind
    Expert

Sep 28, 2012, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GIVE_ME_KANDI View Post
    i'm totally freaking out what colour is the clot suppose to be?? a dark red??
    cause thats what i'm seeing and i literally can't sleep, i'm scared of getting dry socket.
    please give me some peace of mind
    Of course it is supposed to be dark red. Clot is blood and you need it in that area to promote healing.
    ReinosBaby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2012, 08:33 PM
    I am trying to figure out something. I am a smoker and I had my lower wisdom teeth cut out and ended up with Dry Socket, which believe me people you nevedr want to get!! I just had a lower molar cut out on Friday and today is Sunday and I noticed that part of my blood clot is gone. I have taken all precautions and even extra precautions since I am a smoker. I have not had any really severe pain, but it worries me that part of the clot is gone and scared to death that I am going to end up with Dry Socket again. Has any one been in this situtation or has any suggestions?
    gitoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2012, 08:22 AM
    I LOVVVEEE YOUR ANSWER I THINK ME AND YOU ARE THE SAME! I am day 3 post surgery and I smoked about 3 -4 times a day since extraction (heavy 15 year addict) with a wet gauze in my extraction site and trying my hardest to pulll on other side, I also rinse with salt water right after. I spend my days researching dry sockets and my nights scared to death I'm going to take one wrong pull and get a dry socket... MY QUESTION TO YOU IS how do I know my bloodclott is forming? I don't feel any pain so I'm guessing I don't have a dry socket yet but when looking at the ooth I just see a hole no real bloodcloot.. I keep Google imaging bloodclotts in tooth and just can't find a picture of how my tooth SHOULD be looking after extraction. I don't know when ill ever be in the clear and scared this extraction is going to rin my life ! Help !

p.s. when I take out the gauze I see some brownish dar stuff on it.. wdf is that ? Did you see that ? I smoke weed by the way
    Expert

Dec 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
    The brownish dark stuff is the blood clot,gitoo. Now stop smoking for a few days and keep that tar and nicotine out of your mouth that causes infection.

You should not be keeping the gauze on the extraction site. Dentist put that there to stop the bleeding.
    Expert

Dec 20, 2012, 09:12 AM
    The object of coming to this website, folks, is to get qualified answers about your problem from the experts, which is a lot better then 'wondering if anyone else had been in my situation'.
    ToothFairy86 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2012, 10:22 PM
    Hello everyone! I belong to the club of recently extracted teeth - yesterday to be precise, upper right molar - what seemed like the biggest tooth in my mouth was having the most troubles (infections, root canals and finally cracked) - I was glad it was out - almost like removing a tumour!

Anyway, I have been searching the web about blood clots, and I haven't found anyone answer this one yet - this morning I felt like a soft ball of something had come out of the socket (which was most likely the blood clot that had formed over night) - my question is, can blood clots fall out but then re-emerge? When having soup later today something similar came out - When I look in the mirror the extraction site looks exactly the same - a big hole.

I am currently in no pain, although I am taking ibuprofen every 4 hours seeing as it is my first day post-surgery.

What do you guys think? Can some blot clots fall out but re-occur and therefore aid healing? Dry socket is surely everyone's worst nightmare and I'd hate to deal with that over Christmas - eek! I am not a smoker and am avoiding straws and sucking through them - although when eating soup earlier today the long rice noodles did require a certain degree of suction - is this not a good idea?

Sorry for the lengthy post - but just wondered - if one blood clot goes does another come along?

Thank you for any answers that will help put me more in the picture :)
    Expert

Dec 21, 2012, 04:07 AM
    Hi tooth, no, once blood clot is gone another one does not appear. But I don't think you could feel it 'falling out', so probably still have it. Yes, no suction at all, even noodles. Rinse mouth out gently with salt water and if you are not in any pain, you are probably okay, even on the ibuprofen. Because as far as I am concerned, nothing stops pain in the mouth!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Blood clot with extracted tooth [ 2 Answers ]

How long does a blood clot last after having a tooth extracted?

How long blood clot on extraction tooth last? [ 3 Answers ]

Yea my question is how long does the blood clot that forms on the extracted site should last because I'm on my eighth day and the blood clot seems like its getting smaller so I'm worried that I might get dry socket or and infection so your help will be appreciated.

Could I have a blood clot? [ 1 Answers ]

Well a few months ago I got hit in my knee with a glass picture froame and it had a pretty big gash in it but I didn't think that is was bad enough to go to the hospital so I treated it at home.It took a little while to heal and now there is a scar that is red and in one part it look bluish...

Tooth extraction [ 3 Answers ]

A little over three years ago when I was prgnant with my daughter one of my fillings came out and I never had it fixed, over the past two months it has got much worse and now I can't bear the pain, I made a trip to the dentist today to see if they could pull it and he said that the x ray showed a...

Odd blood clot [ 1 Answers ]

I have always had blood clot during my periods, but I just passed one that did not appear like anyone I had before. It was extremely large and looked a lot more solid and less bloody than any I have had. I am wondering if it may have been an embryo that aborted itself. If anyone knows anything...

View more questions Search