Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noluck Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Can a debt collector take my car
    So, I totally lost my case that worked so hard on. The lawyer won summary judgment. I did my opposition but of course the judge said it wasn't sufficient to offset the plaintiff's proofs.
    So now I have to pay (I guess I am OK with that) but these people (Pressler and Pressler).
    So I get a list of questions that I have to answer in 14 days and they want my license plate number and VIN (is that even necessary). My question is can they take my car? Its brand new and I am making monthly payments. I'm just a little worried.
    The thing is I called right away to settle because I never really had no problem in paying. It was just that they couldn't prove and still haven't and as much as I will like to keep fighting them, they keep adding on $500 interest and court costs.
    Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 20, 2007, 04:43 PM
    If you can pay, then pay, they have no need or reason to settle now for anything but the full amount, the time to make any settlement is long past, you had to try to reach a settlement before the judgement happened, you took a gamble and lost now have to pay the full amount of the judgement ( so what ever the judges order was to pay that is what you have to write the check out for)

If you can pay it, then just pay it.

If not they will take your bank accounts first, and normally garnish you pay check, since they really want the money. I doubt they will try and take property as long as they can get actual money
    spolochick Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by noluck
    So, I totally lost my case that worked so hard on. The lawyer won summary judgment. I did my opposition but of course the judge said it wasn't sufficient to offset the plaintiff's proofs.
    So now I have to pay (i guess I am ok with that) but these people (Pressler and Pressler).
    So I get a list of questions that I have to answer in 14 days and they want my license plate number and VIN number (is that even necessary). My question is can they take my car? Its brand new and I am making monthly payments. I'm just a little worried.
    The thing is I called right away to settle because I never really had no problem in paying. It was just that they couldn't prove and still haven't and as much as I will like to keep fighting them, they keep adding on $500 interest and court costs.
    thanks
    Is it the car they want to take or repo
    spolochick Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by noluck
    So now I have to pay (i guess I am ok with that) but these people (Pressler and Pressler).
    So I get a list of questions that I have to answer in 14 days and they want my license plate number and VIN number (is that even necessary). My question is can they take my car? Its brand new and I am making monthly payments. I'm just a little worried.
    thanks
    I would recommend not giving non of your bank or license plate or vehicle numbers at all to no one they don't need to have then
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 20, 2007, 05:32 PM
    As Chuck said, while they can take your car, its unlikely they will. They want cash, they don't want to go through the hassle of selling the car. But, as Chuck also said, you gambled and lost, so pay the piper before it gets more expensive.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 20, 2007, 06:18 PM
    They don't want your car but they will take it. It gets your attention and they expect a faster oayment if your ride is in their shop.
    johncl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2010, 09:25 AM
    spolochick is obviously unqualified to and should keep his/her mouth shut. If the judge orders him to give the information (I believe it is called interagatory) and he does not they will throw him in jail for contempt of court and will not let him out until he gives them the information requested. Please please please people on the internet stop giving advice if you have no idea what you are talking about!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to say when debt collector calls [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, Just wanted to know what to say to a collections agency when they keep calling me and make them stop:mad:

Debt collector [ 13 Answers ]

What do you do about a debt collector who completely ignores the statute of limitations for NY? I keep on getting a call from "vital recovery services" trying to collect on a Discover card I had in college. I explain it was 8-9 years ago and way past the statute of limitations. They lie to me...

Contacted by debt collector after notification that debt was not valid [ 1 Answers ]

I was contacted by a debt collection agency by phone stating that I owed $686.00 from 1991. I returned the call to find out what this pertained to and the gave me the name a store credit card that I had at that time - during that period my ex- husband filed bankruptsy and all accounts ( personal...

Got Letter from Debt Collector [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have got a letter from FCRA debt collector agency for 9939 Dollars for apartment lease break. In 2001, I had to leave United States due to loss of job. At that time, my friend requested me to allow him in my apartment. Since I had to leave quickly I allowed him to stay in the apartment ....

Nasty debt collector [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a large CIBC Visa bill, in which they have cancelled me collections and I sent CIBC 6 post dated cheques for $250.00@ for the 15th of each month. I am unemployeed and have other debts as well. I received Unemployment insurance and when I explained this to the collection agency they advised...

View more questions Search