Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vmaxbudw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 01:36 PM
    How many watts per amp
    What is formula to determine how many watts per amp. I have an RV with a 750 watt inverter and want to know how much wattage vs volts the inverter is charged with my Onan 5500 generator or my Honda 1000 generator
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Mar 20, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Still don't quite understand your question, maybe you would like to elaborate?

The formula I think you need is:

For ac systems, Apparent Power (W) = Voltage (V) x Current (A).

The values of Voltage (V) and Amps (A) should be Root-Mean-Square (RMS) values.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 03:29 PM
    An inverter takes the 12 volt from the battery and converts (inverts) it to 120 volts, 750 watts of power at 120 volts = 6.25 amps.

A generator(actually an alternator) gives 120 volts output. A 5500 watt genset can provide 45 amps,usually two 20 amp circuits or outlets at 120 volts. If the Honda is a 100 watt unit, it provides 8.9 amps at 120 volts.

Not sure what you mean by "the inverter is charged with my Onan 5500 generator", the inverter and generator are not related to each other, as each is intended to provide 120 volts AC power.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many watts can a 15 amp circuit support? [ 10 Answers ]

Recently had my 35 year old Federal Pacific service entrance replaced. As I was labelling the circuits, I found that the 15 amp furnace fan circuit also has a bunch of lights on it. If I add them all up plus the 12 amps for the fan (that's what's on the fan label and I assume it's the max load at...

Circuit watts [ 1 Answers ]

Can any one please tell me the difference between watts per luminaire and cuircut watts per luminaire

Watts for fans [ 3 Answers ]

The average watts for bath and ceiling fans

How Many Watts Will A 10 Amp Power Point Support [ 3 Answers ]

Next month is my brothers 21st birthday & i have hired a hall in which the party will be held and my band will play,but i was told by A hall committee member that the power points are only 10 amp & i would like to know how many watts this will support... there are three of these power points on...

Max watts lighting on a 15 Amp breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I plan to add a new 15 Amp breaker for additional lighting in a basement - how many watts can be applied to each 15 Amp breaker

View more questions Search