Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Feb 28, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Sound block
    Since temperature affects the speed of sound, does sound travel slower or faster in cold climates like the Arctic? Or does it have to do with the temperature of the wind?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2007, 04:27 AM
    Sound travels faster in warm air. Here's a nifty calculator with further explanation:
    Speed of sound in air
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2007, 04:30 AM
    Cold places like the arctic will often also have a lower humidity, this also affects the speed of sound.

I'm confused about your question about wind, could you rephrase it and maybe I can answer?

(thanks for answering rick, I looked at this this morning and didn't have time to respond, and then I forgot about it)

Mar 20, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Cold places like the arctic will often also have a lower humidity, this also affects the speed of sound.

I'm confused about your question about wind, could you rephrase it and maybe I can answer?

(thanks for answering rick, i looked at this this morning and didnt have time to respond, and then i forgot abotu it)
    The website answers my question itself, but now I have another question: How does humidity affect sound?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Well you know that sound travels faster in water because the particles are more closely bound and so energy is transferred more quickly. It's the same kind of principle. A high humidity should increase the speed that sound travels through the air.

Mar 20, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Well you know that sound travels faster in water because the particles are more closely bound and so energy is transferred more quickly. It's the same kind of principle. A high humidity should increase the speed that sound travels through the air.
    Oh! Then sound will travel slower in the Arctic. OK. Thanks for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPU fan starts, a low hum sound on speaker and a vroom sound from cpu/fan [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a new pentium 4 3.0 Ghz motherboard with 256 ram, connected everything as directed on the manual and plugged the power connector then started the computer. The fan starts then nothing else. All I hear is a very low hum/beep sound from the computer speaker which is immediately...

Firewall block [ 2 Answers ]

Can I block a computer user from accessing a specific website if I have a firewall conrol panel?

No sound, asus mother board built in sound card [ 16 Answers ]

My comp plays no sounds. All drivers are installed and I have re installed them 2. Its well annoyin. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

Block Sink? [ 2 Answers ]

Help? I think I got a blocked sink or a blocked air vent somewhere. Water just won't go down the kitchen sink but it will from the bath tub or toilet. I have dismantle the U trap under the sink and inserted a rod as far as it would go , water did not moved. Also if I push with a power...

NO SOUND after sound card install [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I'm new on here I have a HP tower.. just installed a beefed up sound card in it and it doesn't work.. made sure all connection are good.. and installed the program.. now it won't work at all.. please help me someone?

View more questions Search