Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jnu7 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2012, 03:59 PM
    Does old grout leak through?
    All the tiles and around the tub are sealed up well and still water leaks through to downstairs. The pipes were checked , etc.
    Does grout eventually let water soak through after a certain time goes by?
    Thanks.
    John .S
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2012, 04:34 PM
    Is the grout intact? Can you see any cracks? How were "the pipes checked "? Did they open a wall or ceiling? When were the walls last regrouted.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2012, 08:28 AM
    Does grout eventually let water soak through after a certain time goes by?
    While grout doe not wear out and leak it will shrink over time and allow water to get past the tile. The solution would be to regrout the section the shower stream hits. Good luck. Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
    Without better investigation its hard to tell if you have bad grout or a plumbing leak. Chances are very good it's a plumbing problem. Is this a tub w/ shower or a free standing shower stall? Does it only leak wjen showering?
    Jnu7 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2012, 10:48 AM
    The grout is all intact with one or two hairline cracks. It's a shower head, knobs, and
    Regular sized spout, but a small "bath tub". Regular depth but too short to bath in.
    There's a curtain which I keep sealed to the wall with Velcro type stripping from the
    Dollar store so the floor is always dry after a shower, but with the ceiling opened up
    Downstairs, the pipes have been closely inspected by observation while I was taking
    A shower, or just running the spout, or shower head with only cold, or only hot water
    Etc, and I'm told that it's leaking down through the wall to a spot aligning outside the
    Tub but not from the pipes, so it's thought that I soak the floor and it somehow seeps downstairs through the tiles. Upon close inspection through the hatch in the adjacent closet (which I had to empty 3 times) the pipes, and connections,were always bone dry. At first I thought it was the drain somehow, but that's not it either.
    Sections of the wall tiles have been re-grouted at different times but the tiles which
    Are suspect have been done within the last month and through trial and error there's still water going through to downstairs. More than ever.
    Thanks, Jnu7
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 12, 2012, 11:02 AM
    The wet ceiling needs to be removed, once it's repeatedly wet you can't save it. With the ceiling out you will be able to better see. Try filling buckets elsewhere and then dump in the tub carefully not splashing. This will test the drain.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
    If you can get a hose into area,with someone down stairs,start in tub and run water for about 2 minutes. If no leak move up to top of tub and repeat. Do this at each line of tile and you will be able to localize the spot where tile is leaking.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak) [ 3 Answers ]

P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak) on a dodge dakota 2001 3.9liter 4x4

Can I use Grout Boost with Polyblend Grout [ 7 Answers ]

Is it OK to use Grout Boost with Polyblend sanded grout. The grout package only mentions water as an addative.

Can you grout tile using a special grout caulking gun? [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I buy a special caulking gun that uses commercial tile grout? I have some 20" X 20" interior wall tile to grout and would like to avoid making a huge mess in my kitchen. This method, if available, would seem to be a good, clean solution. Ralph

Water leak through bathroom grout [ 1 Answers ]

I have been told my bathroom shower grout is leaking causing the ceiling below to be discolored. They have told me I have to replace all the tile. They said it doesn't work to just recaulk-is this true. I need advice ASAP

Engine Oil Leak/Antifreeze Leak--2001 Chrysler Town and Country [ 1 Answers ]

My 2001 T & C has 82K and what I am told, by a reputable source,but not a mechanic, is an engine oil leak. The leak seems to be toward the front and middle. I haven't noticed an oil smell, any smoke, etc... but we are also trapped in below zero weather in Nebraska. I was also told there is an...

View more questions Search