Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rasco847 Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Still water in the pipes
    I've noticed when I shut the main water off for the house, there's still water coming in very little though( dribbling). Is this normal?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 20, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Sounds like your shut off is not making a complete seal.closure. It isn't normal and may cause you difficulty doing future repair projests. You may need the city to shut you off at their outside shut off to do the replacement.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 08:54 AM
    It is probably a crappy old gate valve. Chances are if the city replaces it with another one, it will do the same in time. Ball valves are much more dependable and easier to use, and since the 70's, as cheap as gate valves. Why anybody still uses gate valves? Beats me.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Are you shutting it off on your valve or the city valve?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pipes to water Radiator [ 3 Answers ]

I have two pipes running into a radiator that is used to heat my house. One pipe for the water To go in and the other pipe that lets the water out. How do I disconnect the pipes? Im not Sure if I plan on moving the meater to anothet location. Thank you for your help

Noisy Water Pipes [ 1 Answers ]

What is causing my pipes to suddenly make loud banging noises?

Vibrating (Banging) Water Pipes (Water Running) [ 2 Answers ]

When upstairs tub valve is opened for the first time in the evening, loud banging noise sometimes ensues from pipes. Banging is alleviated when supply is redirected to showerhead, or when water is turned off. Single-handle Pegasus (Home Depot) valve. No issues when supply is off (not "water...

Water in pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

It appears as though there is air in the lines at my kitchen faucet. When first turning on the water, both hot and cold, the water spits and make noises. Then, sometimes the water stops coming out, or it gradually slows to a trickle. Also, when first turning one faucet on and then the other,...

Water on A/C coils and pipes [ 4 Answers ]

A few days ago I found water in the floor next to the A/C unit. When I opened the door and checked the A/C I found water drops on the coils and the pipes, they were dripping into the rim around the A/C. I thought the drain was stopped up but there is too much water dripping and I don't remember it...

View more questions Search