Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mark11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 07:25 AM
    How to treat 6 week old puppy for fleas
    I've just got a new puppy, whitch is only 6 week old. Its covered with fleas, and I'm not sure on how to treat it safely. Any ideas please.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2007, 07:53 AM
    Just as soon as you can, get an over the counter spray whose label says safe for puppies 6 weeks and older. It may suggest spraying a towel and wrapping the puppy in it. You also may need a second product that kills flea eggs. Treat every part of the house and car the puppy has been in. Act fast before you have an established flea population. Never take a young puppy to a place with strange dogs like Petsmart. Too much danger of picking up something.

One good idea would be to take any medical records to the office of the vet you plan to use. Let them see the records and schedule an appointment as needed. They will sell you a safe, better spray than the pet stores have. When the puppy goes in for its shots, you can talk about a longer range flea program. The Revolution I use on my dogs can be used on young puppies too. The vet will help you choose from a number of good products. I am quite satisfied with Revolution, but no one product is right for everybody.

Doing something safe, now is essential. Act fast. Getting rid of established fleas is a terrible project.

When you get back with the flea spray, see the sticky, ''What does a puppy need?'', https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 Check the sections on housebreaking and books too.
    Blilly22 Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Mar 26, 2012, 01:50 PM
    Sprinkeling some table salt around the area where he/she sleeps help a lot. The fleas like salty & they will engorge & die soon on their own. Also spray some oatmeal water on the puppy to relieve the skin of the bites. Cedar wood is good to get rid of fleas too they hate it... you can get cedar wood strips at home depot and sorround the sleeping area with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fleas Treatment for 2 week old kittens [ 9 Answers ]

My New Cat had her Kittens - 4 cute little ones, :D My question is how can I treat them to prevent fleas. I had a Flea collar on the mother until a few day before her litter was born(she got it off) And I was advise to take it off, to make sure it didn't harm the litter I am not sure, but I...

My 3 week old kitten has fleas help! [ 10 Answers ]

Hiya my kittens have just caught fleas off a homeless cat I took in and because there so young I don't know what to do I hate fleas there horrible I've just done all my older cats with bobmartin back of the neck stuff but powders and things say not to be used until 12 weeks etc what can I use?...

6 Week Old Puppy has Fleas! [ 8 Answers ]

Are 2 older dogs had fleas, so got 2 flea collars for them. Now are puppy is getting fleas and she is only 6 weeks old, what's the best treatment for a puppy so young? Also what's best for the older dogs?

6 week old kitten with fleas [ 11 Answers ]

Our new kitten came home with fleas! The vet applied a topical to him, and we were told to vacuum and wash everything he came into contact with. He has been at our house only 36 hours and was in one room- we have done all that the vet told us to do-- will this solve the problem, do you know? ...

Puppy was coverd in fleas [ 6 Answers ]

:( Help,We found two puppies that someone dropped off in the middle of the road one of them was covered in fleas we got them off but the puppy is drained what can I do he won't eat much and he does drink a lot of water

View more questions Search