Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 25, 2009, 04:42 PM
    Quatro Furnace?
    Yesterday I received a call from cousin of mine asking about replacement costs of a furnace. Seems that some friends of his and his wife's had to call in for service as their furnace wasn't working. I service guy came in on Saturday morning, spent 20 minutes looking at their furnace. Told the homeowners that the blower motor and ignition control module had failed and they they needed a new furnace! I couldn't believe it so I went to give a 2nd opinion. As the initial tech stated the blower and ICM had failed but I found no reason to replace. I did notice that once while the unit fired it did backfire, for lack of a better term. Almost like delayed ignition but several minutes into a heat cycle. I will replace the blower and ICM tomorrow but has anyone had any experience with the Quatro line? I o know it is made by Consolidated.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 05:15 PM

Haven't worked on this line. I would only recommend checking heat exchanger, either by smoke test, or CO test. Other than that, I think they were just trying to sell a new furnace. Let us know how things work out.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 25, 2009, 05:33 PM
    They are no longer made but the parts are available. Consolidated went out of biz in 1999, Is that a 2 stage? Is it a horozontal unit? Those furnaces were a POS but when they worked they were OK. If you are going to work on it do a PM and look at the collector to make sure it is not full of water etc and make sure you do a CO test/heat exchanger check if possible.

Jan 25, 2009, 06:47 PM

I'm doing this job more as a favor then an actual job since the homeowners have had a recent run of bad financial luck. And hvac1000, it is horizontal but only one stage. From what I have researched about these, the majority of them were dedicated horizontal applications.

Jan 25, 2009, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    havent worked on this line. I would only recommend checking heat exchanger, either by smoke test, or CO test. Other than that, i think they were just trying to sell a new furnace. let us know how things work out.
    I just theorized that the guy was pissed about being called out on a Saturday (I know I usually am) and when he found out it was in crawl space even more so.
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 05:03 PM

Most likely the case. But I would still cover all my bases, especially when doing it as a favor. Glad to know people still help family when they need to. I think you will most likely save them some serious cash. Just make sure to treat it like any other furnace and do all test for safety. Only concern I would have would be the backfireing, and what is causing it. Some furnaces just seem to do that, even when all other components check out fine. Probably one of the many reasons they went out of business. Still want to hear if the new parts solve the problem, hoping and betting that they will.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 06:45 PM
    I don't know if this is worth a puddle of pi$$ to you, but the only "backfiring" I have ever encountered on a gas-fired unit was the result of a soot ball/buildup on the primary air spoiler screw of a Miller unit. Same thing, not at initial light-off, but several minutes into cycle. I succeeded in convincing the homeowner that their clothes dryer did, indeed need to be vented to the outdoors.

Jan 26, 2009, 07:45 PM

Up and running. Lit fine. No backfiring at all. Been a few hours and so far no calls.
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 04:13 PM

Glad to hear it.
    bluegoosee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2011, 01:18 AM
    I have a quatro made in 1992 that will not lite a few years ago the limit switch would not give a reading with the meter but I tapted on it it worked for three years will that make the unit not work and how do you get replacement parts
    ramrotti704 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2012, 09:08 PM
    Hi, I have a Quattro furnace that no longer ignites. I have replaced the igniter, still won't light the furnace. I have not run the heat since last winter. What could go wrong?
    Dovista Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2013, 04:05 AM
    My Quatro furnace is noisy when it turns on and while it's running - any ideas to make it run quieter?
    Dovista Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2013, 04:07 AM
    Quatro furnace is noisy when it turns on and while on - any suggestions to make it quieter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

York Stellar Furnace Heating up Furnace Room to 110 Degress? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a York Stellar Furnace in my newly purchased house. Furnace is 15 years old. Furnace is releasing hot air from front grills and heats up furnace room to 110 Degrees. I had a Bryant Furnace in another house and this never happened. All plenams and ducts are taped and sealed so the heat is...

Goodman furnace GMNT080-4 furnace runs good for a while then has to be manually reset [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GMNT080-4 (90%). I'm having the same problem As Streatherg did back in the Nov 2006 question. I reviewed his article and tried Every thing on there but seems to be doing the same thing. The furnace kicks on for about an hour then locks out and has to be manually reset threw...

Quatro True Blue 90% Furnace [ 1 Answers ]

We are looking for a part - "Collector Box" for a Quatro True Blue 90% Furnace from Consolidated Industries which is now out of business. Can you help us find a collector box for this system with m# usa072nh3r and s# 971007068 ? Or please send us a local distributor that can help in & around 29170...

Furnace not heating the house. Damper on the furnace not opening. Motor then shuts. [ 4 Answers ]

My forced-air furnace is not working correctly. The gas works heating the air in the furnace, but When the motor starts the damper doesn't open and the Motor shut down. I need suggestions?:mad:

View more questions Search