Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reccles Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Aug 16, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Using Ceiling Paint as Primer
    I've go a ton of left over off-white ceiling paint. Can I use that as a primer for newly constructed drywall walls, or would that be, well, stupid? Or at the very least, a waste of time.
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Aug 21, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by reccles
    I've go a ton of left over off-white ceiling paint. Can I use that as a primer for newly constructed drywall walls, or would that be, well, stupid? Or at the very least, a waste of time.
    Generally speaking, ceiling paint does not work as a stain blocker. If you use it, you may see discoloring in your final color.

I had a water stain in my ceiling a few years ago from Hurricane Wilma and tried to cover it with ceiling paint. It just stained right through. I had to buy some Kilz to cover it up and then paint again with Ceiling paint.

Hope this helps.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 04:03 PM
    An ordinary primer isn't going to be an effective stain blocker either. If you don't need a stain blocker, go ahead with the ceiling paint.

Note, ceiling paint is a rip off. The difference between it and wall paint is that they can get away with skimping on the titanium dioxide (TiO2) because ceilings are usually in good shape and don't good hiding power.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 21, 2007, 05:16 PM
    I don't think he asked about getting ride of stains. Can you use ceiling paint? This is what I think... as long as it is flat. I will say yes. Ive done it myself and had no problem, I don't know of any primers that have a gloss of anykind to them. So to me with exception of stain blocking ceiling white and just regular primer will do the same... just my opinion
    reccles Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Aug 21, 2007, 06:33 PM
    That's correct. Since I have all this ceiling paint, I'd rather use it up rather than going out and buying primer. The walls are new - no stains - just drywall, tape, and mud.

Thanks
    noodleboy33 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Aug 23, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Many professional painters around my area are using cheaper flat paint in general as a primer coat. It usually hides well and costs less than primer. But consider that any paint, including ceiling paint, that is used without a primer first over naked sheet rock has no real sticking properties. It's not all about hide, it's also about your very first coat adhering to the new wall material. Using up your ceiling paint is a good idea in theory but you may be sorry down the road when it doesn't hold up, or even begins to flake off. And don't even think about using any kind of tape on those walls, in case you should ever decide to stripes or any kind of decorative technique, as the paint will almost certainly lift off during tape removal.
    Can you perhaps prime your new walls with primer and then use the ceiling paint as your top coat? If you mix it with other leftover paint, especially one with some sheen, you may create a pale color that has some durability.
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by noodleboy33
    Many professional painters around my area are using cheaper flat paint in general as a primer coat. It usually hides well and costs less than primer. But consider that any paint, including ceiling paint, that is used without a primer first over naked sheet rock has no real sticking properties. It's not all about hide, it's also about your very first coat adhering to the new wall material. Using up your ceiling paint is a good idea in theory but you may be sorry down the road when it doesn't hold up, or even begins to flake off. And don't even think about using any kind of tape on those walls, in case you should ever decide to stripes or any kind of decorative technique, as the paint will almost certainly lift off during tape removal.
    Can you perhaps prime your new walls with primer and then use the ceiling paint as your top coat? If you mix it with other leftover paint, especially one with some sheen, you may create a pale color that has some durability.
    This is what the last homeowner of my house did. I have certain walls that the paint literally peels off in sheets. Other walls in the house look fine and don't have this problem. If this is the case, yeah, use a primer when painting right on to sheetrock.
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Aug 24, 2007, 11:40 AM
    I've used flat white as new build primer and never had a problem with it. Saved money and got rid of the cans of paint that would have been thrown away.

Thanks,
    Json
    noodleboy33 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Apr 13, 2008, 01:34 PM
    That is good news but you have been lucky. Right now I am painting the interior of a large home, along with other painters. The walls were primed by the contractor using an extremely low grade primer, actual primer (or so we have been told). Those of us who are doing specialty finishes are using the lightest tack tape on the market. Without exception, all of us are having to do major touch-ups because after the tape is on for only 1 hour, upon removal everything comes off with the tape right down to the sheetrock. This is a classic indication of flat paint having been used instead of primer or a cheapo cheapo primer being used.

One might just get away with no problems, if doing a straight paint job. But one day down the road it could peel and flake off, or one day you might hire someone at $400/day to do something custom or artistic to your walls and that is when the consequences of using flat paint in place of primer will hit. Try striping a wall that has never been primed and the importance of primer will become aparant very quickly. Primer is manufactured and used for a reason. It has it's place.
    DonnaLou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2012, 08:12 AM
    Can drywall paint be used as a primer over already painted walls?
    rjsand Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2012, 06:01 AM
    From working in paint sales, although years ago (10). Newly constructed drywall needs a primer/sealer, not just primer alone. The sealer soaks into the drywall to provide an even finish for the final top coat, and prevent what is known as "flashing" Which is an uneven finish of the topcoat, you will notice that an eggshell or semi-gloss finish will have patches on the wall that will look flat. Proper coat of base sealer will provide for less top coats of paint required.

All this being said I worked in paint sales years ago (10 years ago for General Paint) and I have already noticed many changes in painting. Such as 2 for 1 paint/primer. So there may be a sealer/top coat out there somewhere.
    DIYGeorge2012 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2013, 06:34 PM
    Can I use ceiling paint as a primer to cover up nail holes in a door frame?
    I bought a new pre hung door and nailed it in with an air nailer. The door was primed white when I got it and I just want to paint the whole frame over again so it's the same underneath.
    I have about 20 nail holes( Long story) filled and sanded smooth. The original primer looked like it was "Spit" onto the door so I sanded the whole thing with 220.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2013, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaLou View Post
    can drywall paint be used as a primer over already painted walls?
    Yes as long as the walls are in good shape and not semi gloss.
    smith-painting Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2013, 01:00 AM
    You can use ceiling paint instead of drywall primer. Even though it might not be as good as a primer, it is thicker and can give an uniform surface. If you're using it as a sealant it will be even more effective. The only problem is that it might start to peel off if you're using tape for decorations or if you live in a humid area.
    pansbane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 07:17 AM
    Can I mix ceiling and primer together

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Primer and Paint [ 3 Answers ]

I have put primer over a black wall and want to paint it orange. The problem is I put 4 coats of paint and it's not covering.I have A thick expensive paint and don't understand.I was told to put More coats until it's covered.Is this what I should do?

Ceiling paint [ 3 Answers ]

Had drywall repair done on ceiling, painted that area with good primer. Painted entire ceiling white, drywall area still appeared. Painted drywall area several more times. Still shows... What do I do to correct this problem?

Ceiling paint [ 2 Answers ]

We have painted our kitchen ceiling many times. About 9 months after painting the ceiling, we can notice dark spots. The spots are where the nails are (THE SPOTS ARE NOT NAIL POPS). You can also see where the studs are at. How do we cover this once and for all? Will a darker ceiling paint...

Tape Lines(?) showing after ceiling paint job [ 3 Answers ]

I have a home that is 5 months old. The builder was in both yesterday and today repairing nail pops etc and repainting the ceiling. Everything looked great until I looked up and saw an straight bubble like line running across the width of my hallway. It wasn't there before. It would appear to be...

Interior Wall&Ceiling Paint ? - suggestions needed for repairs! [ 5 Answers ]

We recently had to do some remodeling in my living room to accommodate an electrical switch, overhead light, and 2 wall sconses. This included a contractor making several holes in my ceiling and walls and repairing the holes with drywall. The drywall looks great, however when he came back to...

View more questions Search