Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rezyres Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2007, 02:17 AM
    Promotion without pay
    I have been promoted and have been performing higher responsibilities for 4 years, for the past four years Performance Evaluation I got were excellent. There are 3 levels of pay range categories base on responsibilities and knowledge. Is there a LAW governs this PROMOTION WITHOUT PAY
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 7, 2007, 04:31 AM
    Could it mean you are already making that level now without promotion ? Or maybe you should take it to the next level and have a heart to heart talk with them and give them an ultimatum, because if what you say is correct 'performance evaluation excellent/higher responsibilities for 4 years' then you do deserve an increase, so tell them to put their money where there mouth(s) are.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2007, 04:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rezyres
    I have been promoted and have been performing higher responsibilities for 4 years, for the past four years Performance Evaluation i got were excellent. There are 3 levels of pay range categories base on responsibilities and knowledge. Is there a LAW governs this PROMOTION WITHOUT PAY
    There are no laws that govern how much employers must pay their employees unless its concerning minimum wage or union positions.

I would simply sit down with my supervisor and ask for more money. Have a list of how your duties have grown over the years and research typical salary for the same job in the area (try salary.com). Present all of this information to your supervisor and see what they have to say. If after this they do not raise your salary your choice is to stay or find a new position where you will get the salary you desire. Good luck!
    Kishore Vasanjee Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 11, 2007, 06:46 PM
    I have been promoted and have been performing higher responsibilities for 4 years, for the past four years Performance Evaluation i got were excellent. There are 3 levels of pay range categories base on responsibilities and knowledge. Is there a LAW governs this PROMOTION WITHOUT PAY
    Go to Morgan and Morgan web site or call them. They are a Law firm that are "for the people." If they can help they will or they will refer you to the a comparable law firm in your area.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Yes call a lawyer and lose your job. They can pay you what they want, there is no requirement, they can come in tomorrow and lower you pay if they want ( unless you have a contract)

If you want a raise go ask for it
    BlessedT Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Dec 4, 2007, 06:57 AM
    It is your right as an employee to address this issue with your immediate supervisor or their supervisor. When you accepted the promotion you should have inquired about your monetary rewards. However, since you didn't do that you really don't have a case. Remember to always get your pay increase in writing before accepting additional responsibilities with a promotion because if not, your case will not hold up in court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 4, 2007, 07:23 AM
    To summarize here, there are no laws that require raises with increased responsibilities or titles. Therefore consulting an attorney is a waste of time. Unless you are in public service where there are specific pay ranges for specific job levels, or a union that has similar structure, they can pay you what they want and you accept.

So you need to talk with your management and make a case for a raise.
    StevenSimpson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2012, 06:17 PM
    I took on a promotion with the promise of a raise. I have been in constant contact for a year now via email and face to face, I haven't received the raise but I do have emails which say I am entitled to a raise. Today I went in to talk with them about it and they denied there was ever any talk of a raise but I have hard evidence to the contrary will this hold up in court?
    StevenSimpson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2012, 06:20 PM
    " I am hoping the new company will losen up to allow me to process your raise" that is what has been said along with many other comments alike.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Promotion, employer requires live scan [ 4 Answers ]

HI To All, Here's some detail about my history, 3 yrs ago, I was caught of theft on employment. The police was called, came and asked me questions, took my id info down but did not booked me nor fingerprint me. About 1 month later, I received a letter from the county court and I...

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 4 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 2 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

Birthday and promotion [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have not contacted my ex in four months... and I'm doing pretty good. I have my moments at times but I am continuing with my life with the support of a dear friend who has stood by me and provided me with much encouragement howeve, my ex received a promotion as well as is going to...

Need Advice, Feels promotion was robbed [ 6 Answers ]

Thanks for all your input

View more questions Search