Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pbsmith Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2012, 08:31 PM
    Removing john deere rear tire
    I have a 1990 John Deere model 170 garden tractor - 18 HP Kohler motor w 38 inch deck.

About to replace disc brake pads and need to remove right rear tire for access.

Rim has no mounting bolts showing, just a 2 inch plastic cap in the center - removing plastic cap shows snap ring.

Back of rim extends 4 - 5 inches oveer shaft to transaxel housing - no sign of bolt through rim/axel or of key.

Any hints on removing tire/rim from axel?

Thanks,
    Pete
    diane1966 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2012, 08:51 PM
    Pull the plastic cap off, then pull the key off, then the washer. When you put it back together, make sure the notch inside the key is lined up to the grove in the axle or the mower will not go in gear. It will be like it stays in neutral.
    diane1966 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2012, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by diane1966 View Post
    Pull the plastic cap off, then pull the key off, then the washer. When you put it back together, make sure the notch inside the key is lined up to the grove in the axle or the mower will not go in gear. It will be like it stays in neutral.
    That's what I had to do
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Apr 22, 2012, 10:21 AM
    Hi,
    One must remove the snap ring first, then whatever washers are beneath it, try to slide wheel/tire off. The aforementioned key will either stay in axle or wheel; just do not loose track of it. That is an older machine, so best of luck sliding the wheel off.
    Someone must have worked on this on already since it came with a 14HP FC420V Kawasaki engine when new.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    janensteve Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2012, 02:52 AM
    Hi,
    Yes, I have the problem where the wheel has seized on the axle. I have applied many applications of good quality penetrating Anti-Seize fluid, and am still not able to remove wheel (even with as heavy tapping as I dare). Any suggestions to loosen the stubborn wheel?
    Cheers
    Steve
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 08:08 AM
    Hi,
    I have seen them stuck so bad that the owner replaced the wheels and the transaxle. This if it has never been off. You say a good penetrant. There are some better than others; ones by Kimball-Midwest, Larch, Lawson and Nut Buster are all virtually the same and pricey. They are non-flammable and have a sweet smell. They are the best I have seen. Seen and done the cutting torch method on wheels and engine double sheaves.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing rear tire on MTD lawn tractor [ 2 Answers ]

How do you remove the rear tire of a MTD lawn tractor? I've taken out the hex bolt and bell washer and I still am unable to remove the tire. Thank you.

How john deere 1642h tire change? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you remove a tire on a john deere #1642h riding mower?

John deere l110 tire stuck? [ 1 Answers ]

The rear tire on my john deere L110 will not come off the shaft. Any suggestions? Can the cold weather be responsible?

Changing a john deere 155c rear tire [ 5 Answers ]

How do I change a John Deere 155c's rear tire?

Changing a flat tire on John deere 245 [ 1 Answers ]

I've got a flat front tire on my JD 245--I can't seem to get the 'C" ring or clip off so I can remove the tire and wheel. Suggestions?

View more questions Search